PDA

View Full Version : not turning well to the right

auburn6887
May 25th, 2006, 01:05 PM
just lifted a 79 chevy suburban. it has the raised steering arm stock drag link and stock pittman arm. it does not turn well to the right. steering geometry. if i shorten the drag link and cycle the steering wheel left one turn will this even up the turning raidiuse? or should i just put a 4 inch dropped drag link onit?

Creative Fab
May 25th, 2006, 02:52 PM
You should put a drop pitman arm on as well as the following: Diconnect the drag link from the pitman arm, turn the steering wheel all the way until it stops in either direction. Count how many revolutions it takes to reach the stop in the opposite direction, now devide in half and set the wheel to that position. Now climbing back underneath the Burb lift your drag link up to the pitman arm and adjust it to reach the arm. This will center your steering!

Now dont forget to check your toe-in, 1/8" to 1/4" toe-in should work for you. Place a straight edge along each tire measuring on the front side and then on the rear of the tire.

Jeeperz-Creeperz
May 25th, 2006, 07:20 PM
You didn't say how much lift you put on it.

With 4" you should be okay with just adjusting the drag link to center the steering wheel, with more than 4" you may want a drop pitman arm or offset draglink (or both!)

You won't have to adjust toe since the tie rod runs knuckle to knuckle (but if it hasn't been aligned in awhile it's a good idea to check it to be sure it's within the specs Pat mentioned).

auburn6887
May 25th, 2006, 09:23 PM
thanks for the replies. it has 6 inches of lift. i have the raised steering arm.it has 38's on it

edbaudoux
May 31st, 2006, 11:04 PM
Good info so far. I will add that one problem arising from lifting a straight axle GM is the short drag link. Depending on fab skills/budget, consider going to cross -over steering. :thumb-up:

Timberwolf
June 2nd, 2006, 06:21 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Big 4 door IH &#064; May 31 2006, 11&#58;04 PM) 14560</div>

Good info so far. I will add that one problem arising from lifting a straight axle GM is the short drag link. Depending on fab skills/budget, consider going to cross -over steering. :thumb-up:
[/b]

Yes, More expencive, but worth every &#036; &#33;&#33;

Yes there are many old, lifted, Chevy&#39;s running around with a short drag link, but if you ever drove a huge Chevy with the cross-over steering set-up, you&#39;ld never build another "cheap" version.

My &#036;.02