PDA

View Full Version : Front Exo tie in...

lgottler
April 28th, 2006, 12:24 PM
OK, so I bent up (thanks to 95geo) and welded in a front exo cage last weekend. I ran out of tubing, so to finish it, I need to figure out what to do next....

I have an "X" above my head with a horizontal bar just above the windshield. The way it stands now, I can fold the windshield down and still remove my top (snorkle is in the way right now for the windshield).

I need to tie in the sides that come down from the top to the frame in the front along my windshield. I am thinking just of popping some holes into a plate, use the screws that hold the lower hinge onto the body for the windshield and weld that to the tube to stiffen that whole side.

I don't really want to add a horizontal bar along the bottom of the windshield because it wouldn't let me fold my windshield down anymore and probably not add any support for a side hit.

I'd like to lean hard (read hit something) on the side and not have the tubing deflect into the body.

Any other ideas??

Thanks,

Lucas

WhiteRhino
April 28th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Pics would be helpful! :thumb-up:

lgottler
April 29th, 2006, 10:31 AM
What is it with the need of pictures in todays world? Isn't trying to picture it in your head with the few words I used to describe it easy?

I'll try and snap a few today....

MuddyPaws
April 29th, 2006, 11:59 AM
We are now a visual world...the interweb has taken away our ability to visualize. :rolf:

But I am also a bit lost...you have a x above your head and a bar at the top of the windshield then want to go exo from there? So yer not gonna run a top anymore? I'm confused :blink: Or did you build a new cage and take the old one out and the new cage is above the soft top? :bigemo_harabe_net-01:

WhiteRhino
April 29th, 2006, 04:09 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lgottler &#064; Apr 29 2006, 10&#58;31 AM) 13649</div>

What is it with the need of pictures in todays world? Isn&#39;t trying to picture it in your head with the few words I used to describe it easy?

I&#39;ll try and snap a few today....
[/b]

I&#39;m sorry................................. :bigemo_harabe_net-01:

95geo
April 29th, 2006, 09:04 PM
the only way im seeing to add some side strength in is to give up your ability to fold the windshield down (how many times have you done it? its not really cool anymore either :haha: ) and make a lower windshield bar and do an upside down V in the center and/or use some 1.25ish dia tube about 6" long for gussets in the corners, if you want it as strong as possible you should think triangles and node points

just my &#036;.02

lgottler
April 30th, 2006, 08:03 AM
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e210/lgottler/EIM000009.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e210/lgottler/EIM000008.jpg

Ignore the overspray&#33; I am removing that today&#33;

I&#39;m leaning towards putting a bracket on the lower windshield hinge. But I was also thinking a straight tube coming from the frame, through the floor, through the side of the Jeep to tie into the vertical section just before it bends, just under the hinge area....?

Lucas

WhiteRhino
April 30th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Looks Great&#33; :thumb-up:

Gotta protect that rust around the windshield hinges. :rolf:

I really think a tie in across the lower part of the windshield fram with some gussetts would be helpful.

Can&#39;t tell what the front tube is tied into at the bottom????

MuddyPaws
May 1st, 2006, 01:06 AM
Wow....dats new&#33; Cool.

95geo
May 1st, 2006, 08:33 AM
now that i see it your probably going to be best off tying it to the door hinge/ lower windshield frame bracket and then maybe reinforcing that point on the inside somehow......

lgottler
May 1st, 2006, 09:09 AM
Yeah, maybe a lower windshield bar that attached to a bracket that bolted to the lower windshield hinge...bolt it on and it would help keep the windshield area from smashing inwards if I flopped it hard...I think I would bolt that section in so I could remove it to access my wipers/snorkle/ window...

Lucas

calvynandhobbs
May 1st, 2006, 10:50 AM
That&#39;s looking really good. I wish I knew something about welding and fabricating so I could contribute to what you are doing.

Roger

lgottler
May 1st, 2006, 07:55 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(calvynandhobbs &#064; May 1 2006, 06&#58;50 AM) 13705</div>

That&#39;s looking really good. I wish I knew something about welding and fabricating so I could contribute to what you are doing.

Roger
[/b]

Boy did I have you fooled&#33;&#33; :D Like I know what I&#39;m doing&#33;&#33;??