PDA

View Full Version : 78 bronco high pinion 44 front

joe_jeep
April 22nd, 2006, 12:29 AM
my friend has a 78 bronco with a high pinion 44 front axle, the axle seals leak gear lube on to the brakes from the end of the tubes. i know i need to pull the shafts out, i know its a wet pumpkin and dry tube setup(seal are in the diff). do i have to remove the differential and ring gear to be able to change the seals?? or can i acess them through the diff cover once the shafts are removed, and leave the diff installed??? i know if i can it would be a tight getting to them, but im no gear guy so id rather not disturb the gear pattern. thx

WhiteRhino
April 22nd, 2006, 07:33 AM
You won't disturb the gear pattern if you just pull the carrier out & then put it back in. Just remember to match mark the bearing caps so they go back on the right way. You can do this by using a center punch and putting a light prick mark on the cap and a corresponding one on the housing.

Or just make sure you put them back on EXACTLY the same way they came off. It is only 4 bolts.

Then you can use a long pipe to reach into the axle tube to knock the seal out. Getting them back in is a little tougher.

95geo
April 22nd, 2006, 07:41 AM
you have to remove the carrier, youll probably need to use a pry bar on the carrier to get it out of the housing because it has preload. to put it back in, 2 people helps a lot. hold the carrier up to the diff with the races on the bearings but at an angle to help them slide in and tap on the races with a deadblow hammer while pushing on the carrier until its seated. check the markings (there is letters stamped in the housing and caps) on the bearing caps to make sure they go on the way they came off. you wont have to mess with shims because they should (they all are from the factory) be inside the races, the only way to get to them is to press the bearings off.

edit: jim beat me to it

mitrail400ex
April 22nd, 2006, 10:51 AM
As for installing the new seals, one of the "rigs" we had built down at school was a little cheapy deal you can make yourself. Basically, you'll need a long piece of all-thread rod (in pretty much any diameter, the thicker you can afford, the better, as long as it fits through the axle seal) that is long enough to go through the axle tube (one side at a time, so you only need it long enough for the "long" side), 2 nuts to fit the all-thread, and washers with a diameter big enough to "cap off" the axel tube. Basically, what you are going to do is run the all-thread through the axle tube, put the washer on one end and cap it off with a nut. Then, go to the differential side, put the seal in place, then a washer, and then a nut. Tighten the nuts until the seal is pressed into place, and voila! You have just placed your seals.

joe_jeep
April 23rd, 2006, 03:51 AM
i was hoping not to mess with the diff but no biggie, gotta help him do his seals, hes my best wheelin buddy and i hate to see him not wheel cause he dont wanna get water in the diff, or gear lube on his brakes. the seals are so cheap i cant see it holding us up any longer. i just gotta break down and do it. thx alot guys!