PDA

View Full Version : Drumond Island

jeepinguy
September 11th, 2004, 04:39 PM
when did the DNR classafide shell beach as a wet land??? and the beach at the end of marbale Head?? I did'nt know rocks could be classafide as a wet land. or was the DNR OFFICER just screwing with us.. we were up there last weekend had ablast....

kerryann
September 11th, 2004, 06:25 PM
I was up in the spring and Shale beach was closed. From what I understand, it has been closed for a while.
I don't know about the beach in front of Marble Head.. the only vantage point I had of it would have been a bad plan to try to drive down there :P

T-way
September 11th, 2004, 11:40 PM
Are you referring to Shale Beach?? And what exactly did the CO tell you? We need to know more information about what was said before we know if he was "screwing with" you!!

Most likely, he was referring to the section of the ORV Law that makes it illegal to operate an ORV along the bank or in the water of a wetland. Of course, Lake Huron is not exactly a "wetland", but he was probably stretching that definition!!

In any event, we have been told that the DNR doesn't like any vehicles within about 200 feet of the water on the beaches up there. Is that whey they told you when you were up there?

In the past, I've seen lots of pictures of people up on Drummond actually driving IN the lake at the different beaches! That is definitely illegal!

yogi
September 13th, 2004, 11:18 AM
i would like to see some one go to the beach from marble head :ph34r:

yogi

JohnnyJ
September 13th, 2004, 08:14 PM
I've walked to the beach from Marble Head when we did the cleanup the summer before last, but we didn't try and take a jeep there.

The DNR told us (MSG) to respect the 200' rule for all beaches, including Shale Beach and Pilot Cove. I guess they are trying to enforce the rules they have, even if they are interepeting them differently than in the past.

Kerryann - Glenn Cove has been closed a while with berms put in place by the DNR, is that what you are thinking of? (the muddy beach area at the end of Sheep Ranch Rd) We didn't see any physical signs of the closing any other beach areas; just the verbal warning to stay away from the DNR.

jeepinguy
September 15th, 2004, 08:12 PM
the beach I am talking about on Marble head is the one to the west of glens cove were every buddy camps( the sandy beach)

T-WAY he told us it was illeagle to camp on the beach? that we could not go past the trees!!..

and the same for shale beach!!! if they are CLOSED why don,t they post them as such and block them off like they did with glens cove..

T-way
September 16th, 2004, 12:09 AM
Ok jeepinguy....I know the sandy beach that you are talking about!

But I'm not sure what the issue is with camping on the beach. I do know that it has nothing to do with the ORV Law. It's probably something to do with the laws that govern camping on state-owned land. The issue of whether or not you can DRIVE on the beach IS tied to the ORV Law though.

The best advice I can offer when confronted with a situation of this type is to ask the officer, in the nicest, most respectable tone you can muster, exactly what the issue is, and what law it is based on. And make sure that they know that you are asking not because you are trying to challenge them, but because you are trying to become an educated user of the resource. They will appreciate your willingness to learn the laws that govern your activity, and your cooperative attitude (even if you DON'T agree with them!).