PDA

View Full Version : Quick Review of the Winter Quarterly Membership Meeting

hunter4x4
January 30th, 2017, 09:19 AM
Hello Great Lakers!

Just a quick recap of Friday's Winter Quarterly Membership meeting!!! FINALLY getting a chance to collect my thoughts and share with the membership!!

Attendance was on par with past Winter Quarterly Membership Meetings - maybe a couple dozen members, plus about six Executive Board & Committee chairs. A sincere thanks to the members who took an hour of their weekend to attend the meeting!!

Standard reports were presented, as follows:

Of note, Financials & Membership are solid, Trail Maintenance activities are on schedule, the latest Boondocker is published & in distribution.

Ken Farley (Awareness & Training Committee) reported that the mini-classes at Jeep Creep were very well received, which dovetailed into how we can capitalize on these types of classes in future events.

The GLFWDA Store responsibilities have been moved to Mike Timm, freeing up Michelle Borgeson to concentrate on her Membership Secretary responsibilities! Mike reported that he is in the process of developing an on-line store for the Association.

As noted in an earlier report, the Land Use Committee (LUC) has a new Chairperson, Nick Navoni. Mike Timm also sits on the Land Use Committee. Nick & Mike will 'split' the state, with each one working with the clubs in their region. They will begin to develop relationships, and work on LUC issues in the first quarter of 2017.

And we had some excellent floor discussion during committee reports as follows: 0
Brian Boniste (my apologies if I botched the spelling of your last name Brian!) expressed thanks to GLFWDA for recognizing Wolverine 4-Wheelers tenure to the Association and commitment to the sport and the Association! And I will add here that the Association also appreciated the Wolverine's commitment and kind words!
Brian also expressed concern that the Association does not have a user-friendly calendar or way to look up what's going one or coming up. The EBoD agreed that this is an issue, something that has caught our attention, and that we will commit to researching how to get an effective (read: user friendly!) calendar developed.

Under 'Old Business' we covered:
Brochures - need updating.
The acquisition of some additional 'panels' and signage for the GLFWDA "EZ-Up" tent that we bring to the various event we attend every year.
Mike Timm discussed volunteer software to make it easier for the Association membership to participate and volunteer at various Association functions
SOP Updates, sanctioning guidelines, and standardized trail ride instructions still need to be reviewed, restructured, and issued.

Under 'New Business':
Per the Association bylaws by unanimous voice vote the general membership in attendance voted in Nick Navoni as the Land Use Committee Chairperson and Donnie Dunlap as the Trail Ride Committee Chairperson. Congratulations to both!!!
The Association invited member clubs for hosts for the 2017 Spring Quarterly Membership meeting!! Here's your chance guys!!
Updated 2017 events where GLFWDA will have a presence:
> Jeep the Mac - April 21-23
> Blessing of the Jeeps - May 6
> Jeeping for a Cure - May 20
> Drummond Island Jeep Jamboree (footnote: the Association provides promotional exposure - in addition to having the current president, two past presidents, and past LUC chairperson on the staff of the event!)
> West Michigan Jeep & 4x4 Fest - July 24
> DOA - August 18-19
> Two Tracker Wheeling for a Cure - September 30

And a quick final thought: I'm not afraid to share that I was just a little disappointed at the turnout at the meeting. We hold the quarterly membership meetings in a manner to minimize extra travel of our membership, and at a time that is convenient for the event we schedule it with. There were literally dozens of members in the same building when we conducted this meeting, and we could barely scrape together 20 or so regular members to attend. 'Nuf said!

Mike Olmstead
President - Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association

PS: This will be linked to our Face Book page with pictures!

gnjeepn
January 30th, 2017, 09:31 AM
Mike you have the date for the West Michigan Jeep and 4X4 fest wrong. The correct date is JUNE 24TH.

hunter4x4
January 30th, 2017, 12:12 PM
YIKES!!! My apologies and thanks for the correction - I'll blame fat fingers on that one!

Thanks again for the correction!!

Mike

WhiteRhino
January 30th, 2017, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the update. It all sounds good.

I will give my opinion of the quarterly meeting during Snofari. As a trail guide, I HATE IT! I was up and in the registration room early in the day and gone all day. I went on a night run. I needed to be up and ready to be sitting at a registration desk by 8:30 on Saturday morning. My ONLY down time where I had time to spend with my wife and take a short nap during the entire 2 days was the couple hours between the Friday day run and night run. In my opinion, I'm trying to pack too much into the weekend and unfortunately, attending the meeting is the variable that I chose to skip.

I am sure there are other trail guides who did it all and kudos to them, but I won't do it. For years we have tried different venues and tactics to get more people to attend the meetings and no matter the effort, it hasn't changed much.

And for what it's worth, there were only about 20 people who attended the ORV park meeting Sunday morning with only one GLFWDA board member in attendance. I' guess it's a way to say pick your poison...........

lgottler
January 30th, 2017, 01:30 PM
And for what it's worth, there were only about 20 people who attended the ORV park meeting Sunday morning with only one GLFWDA board member in attendance. I' guess it's a way to say pick your poison...........

When? Where? I missed this one...

WhiteRhino
January 30th, 2017, 01:42 PM
Sunday morning.

Jeeperz-Creeperz
January 31st, 2017, 11:39 AM

I didn't hear anything about it either.

If it was announced at the meeting, we didn't get back from the Friday run until 5:40pm.

WhiteRhino
January 31st, 2017, 04:42 PM
I didn't hear anything about it either.

If it was announced at the meeting, we didn't get back from the Friday run until 5:40pm.

Jon Noyes announced it when he was giving his presentation at the banquet. It's also been in the Sno-Fari thread on gl4x4.

lgottler
January 31st, 2017, 04:47 PM
Ahhh. I came up for the meeting on Friday, didn't do snofari.

shawn
February 2nd, 2017, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the update Mike. I sat in some of the meeting but I had to get back to work for SnoFari.

Thanks for the update. It all sounds good.

I will give my opinion of the quarterly meeting during Snofari. As a trail guide, I HATE IT! I was up and in the registration room early in the day and gone all day. I went on a night run. I needed to be up and ready to be sitting at a registration desk by 8:30 on Saturday morning. My ONLY down time where I had time to spend with my wife and take a short nap during the entire 2 days was the couple hours between the Friday day run and night run. In my opinion, I'm trying to pack too much into the weekend and unfortunately, attending the meeting is the variable that I chose to skip.

I am sure there are other trail guides who did it all and kudos to them, but I won't do it. For years we have tried different venues and tactics to get more people to attend the meetings and no matter the effort, it hasn't changed much.

Hi Jim,
I feel you, seriously, I barely had any time to sit in on some of the meeting.
But remember, when we started hosting the GLFWDA winter meeting at SnoFari it was on Sunday Mornings. And that became problematic. People were up late partying and couldn't get up, if you did get to the meeting you needed to get up really early and check out or ask for a late check out. By Sunday Morning people are ready to head home. The attendance was low. So, it got moved to Friday, in a time between trail rides. It's still not ideal. I think there was a better member turn out last year, this year it seemed slim.

So, I guess, I don't know what the answer is.

WhiteRhino
February 3rd, 2017, 07:02 AM
............................................So, I guess, I don't know what the answer is.

And that's where I am at. :ahhh: