PDA

View Full Version : tow rig tech

joe_jeep
April 1st, 2006, 01:29 PM
anyone ever used timbrens?? am going to be setting up the super duty for towing better. ironman has suggested airbags in the rear, and i was going that route. but on a rv site i visit often (rvforums.net) i have had timbrens suggested instead of airbags?? i know very little about this product?? any ideas. i see ironman sells this product and that tells me its a good product. have heard horror stories about blown airbags!! i was wanting to hear first hand reviews from owners, otherwise im gonna go airbags like was suggested. thx alot

Creative Fab
April 1st, 2006, 06:09 PM
So far I have installed only one set of Timbren's, and it was on my dad's 1/2 ton Z71. He hauls an 8 1/2' slide-in camper in a 6' box and the Timbren's work good for that. However they do ride somewhat harsher than air-bags. In a Chevy they replace the bumpstops and work as a progressive rate rubber bumpstop only touching the axle when it's under a heavy load and then commpressing as more weight is added.

I have tossed around the idea of putting in a set of them in my 1 ton but my ride is harsh enough when towing so more than likely I will put in air bags to soften it up a little.

I think either will work for you just fine.

95geo
April 1st, 2006, 06:41 PM
i was considering them for the tracker, for the price it wasnt worth it.

are you going to be carrying a lot of weight in the truck or just the tongue weight of the trailer?

i havent noticed a need for any better bump stops just pulling my truck

WhiteRhino
April 1st, 2006, 07:40 PM
That's the big question.... Are you just towing or are you carrying a payload in the truck? I would think the stock suspension would be just fine for towing a trailer.

My 2500 HD pulls just fine with the stock suspension.

joe_jeep
April 2nd, 2006, 01:31 AM
i have a new slide in camper. its about 2500lbs loaded (1910 dry) plus the jeep on a car hauler behind that.
its ok with the camper on, not great. sits almost on the relief springs. pulls it good but sags a little and some sway.
thinking of larger front and rear swaybars, a leveling kit in front, and airbags or timbrens. should be good then.
its a 2002 f250 superduty lariat super cab short bed v10 8800lb gvw, i used it last year stock and it worked but not as well as i had hoped. ford website says 2540 lb payload capacity. im about maxed out now. shoulda got a one ton, but got a great buy on the truck!!! bought out my friends fathers lease at ford employee price. 16,000$ window sticker, new it was $38,000, has every option but moon roof. was leaning towards a dodge dually v10 but i couldnt pass up this deal!! so i guess i gotta beef my f250 up to handel the weight. i think im gonna do the leveling kit first and see how level it is, if its a little front hi ill go airbags to even it out. if its real level ill probably go timbrens. went to a larger tire and need a little clearance up front from the leveling kit. hey ironman u got a line on hellwig sway bars??

Creative Fab
April 2nd, 2006, 09:23 AM
I am working on Hellwig along with a bunch of others, but as of now I do not have it in my lineup.

Just curious, what kind of slide in camper did you get?

joe_jeep
April 3rd, 2006, 07:50 AM
i got a travel lite 890sbrx, bought it when the 2006's were about to arrive and they wanted rid of it bad. went to look at one not expecting to buy, but he sold me one anyway window sticker was $14,600.00 bought for $8999.00.
has most of the options roof ac, shower, queen size inner spring matress, extended overhang, 3 burner stove , oven,
no microwave though?? i got no kids so it fits the wife and i ok. want a new dually and a big toy hauler some day but it'll work for now. got $25,000 in my truck and camper combined i think that is cheap!!