PDA

View Full Version : Trailblazer lift suggestions requested

jayangela
March 24th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Hi guy & gals......I'm considering getting a lift kit & bigger tires on my 2005 Trailblazer. Any suggestions about anything would be appreciated. (Where to get it done, how high, what size tires, blah blah blah).

mitrail400ex
March 24th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Non-existant, due to the wierd suspension setup on that truck. Anything in regards to a lift would have to be custom build, and would cost upwards of $4-5k for a decent setup. You MIGHT be able to rig something starting off a Colorado lift such as the one from Skyjacker, but that would run you $1299, plus any additional parts you might need. Plus, I'm not even sure if they are close enough to be of any real help.

Sorry.

jayangela
March 24th, 2006, 07:02 PM
You are breakin my heart, here. I had done an internet search and came up with quite a few people saying a lift for this truck didn't exist but those posts were a few years old. Where has technology gotten us? Nowhere since then? What a bummer? Anything else I can do? What would you do (short of spending a couple grand?)

SKIP
March 24th, 2006, 07:30 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Angel &#064; Mar 24 2006, 06&#58;02 PM) 12375</div>

You are breakin my heart, here. I had done an internet search and came up with quite a few people saying a lift for this truck didn&#39;t exist but those posts were a few years old. Where has technology gotten us? Nowhere since then? What a bummer? Anything else I can do? What would you do (short of spending a couple grand?)
[/b]

:hello:

Trade it for a Jeep??? :rolf:

No seriously, it&#39;s not really liftable with the front axle shafts running thru the oilpan.

Quote from an article
"It bottomed quite easily on the dives, however, signaling that the optional skid plates are necessary for offroading. Our test model (equipped with 17-inch BFG Rugged Trail radials) had the skid plates, of course, which we also dragged in soft sand, chugging easily along at 5 mph in Auto4WD. Here is where the compromise appears to be buried. The bottoming was partially caused by a slightly low eight-inch ground clearance under the engine, a result of that clever tunnel through the oil pan for the front driveshafts, allowing that lower engine mounting for better balance on the road. But a ground clearance that&#39;s 1.2 or 1.3 inches lower than the competition (Explorer, Grand Cherokee) seems a reasonable and maybe even prudent payoff. "

We&#39;ll drag ya thru&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

jayangela
March 24th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Aw, shucks, thanks Skip.

mitrail400ex
March 25th, 2006, 02:15 AM
Honestly, if anything, I would spend &#036;1200-2000 (which is what you&#39;d spend on a lift for ANY independant front suspension vehicle) on getting a nice used YJ or CJ and wheel the hell out of that, rather than lifting a truck that simply won&#39;t perform offroad. My Canyon (built off the trailblazer platform, but without that dreadful oilpan/driveshaft issue) wheels beautifully, but thats because I put nearly &#036;2000 of modifications into it, and thats doing the work in my garage. I wouldn&#39;t trust in in any mudholes deeper than my ankles, and I certainly wouldn&#39;t take it on the rocks though. At the end of the day, you still have an IFS vehicle, where the weaklinks are also the expensive ones to fix, and also the ones that will leave you stranded. On a jeep, you break an axle, you can more than likely pull it out and drive home still. On an IFS, you break a front CV shaft, you&#39;re screwed because the shaft holds your wheel on (indirectly). Without it, you&#39;re going nowhere.

Another option, if you absolutely must wheel your truck, is to crank the torsion bars in the front to level out the ride a bit. Take it to the tire shop and have them throw on some Firestone Destination MTs or Goodyear MT/Rs, or even BFG Mud Terrains. Some sort of aggressively treaded tire.. and go have some fun. Just be ready to hook up a tow strap more often than anyone else.

jayangela
March 25th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Thanks for all your suggestions.... Even if I had a good one or two thousands dollars to spend I don&#39;t think I&#39;d do that.....only because the truck is a (gulp) lease. I was planning on taking off the modifications before I turned it back in in a few years. I&#39;ll consider that second part you were talking about though. It looks like I&#39;m just not going to be able to do all the things I want to do and go all the places I wanna&#39; go but that&#39;s the breaks. :(

joe_jeep
March 26th, 2006, 02:32 AM
its a lease&#33;&#33;&#33; get some tires and hammer on it&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; its fun to wheel someone elses truck&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :haha: lol

MuddyPaws
March 26th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Those things have a frame? I dunno...maybe a body lift? I know nothing about that truck.

jayangela
March 26th, 2006, 01:54 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(joe_jeep &#064; Mar 26 2006, 01&#58;32 AM) 12414</div>

its a lease&#33;&#33;&#33; get some tires and hammer on it&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; its fun to wheel someone elses truck&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :haha: lol
[/b]

Except when you gotta&#39; pay for the damages, eh? So, you think bigger tires would make a big difference? Would it kill my already not-so-fantastic gas mileage?

jayangela
March 28th, 2006, 06:17 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mitrail400ex &#064; Mar 25 2006, 01&#58;15 AM) 12391</div>

Honestly, if anything, I would spend &#036;1200-2000 (which is what you&#39;d spend on a lift for ANY independant front suspension vehicle) on getting a nice used YJ or CJ and wheel the hell out of that, rather than lifting a truck that simply won&#39;t perform offroad. My Canyon (built off the trailblazer platform, but without that dreadful oilpan/driveshaft issue) wheels beautifully, but thats because I put nearly &#036;2000 of modifications into it, and thats doing the work in my garage. I wouldn&#39;t trust in in any mudholes deeper than my ankles, and I certainly wouldn&#39;t take it on the rocks though. At the end of the day, you still have an IFS vehicle, where the weaklinks are also the expensive ones to fix, and also the ones that will leave you stranded. On a jeep, you break an axle, you can more than likely pull it out and drive home still. On an IFS, you break a front CV shaft, you&#39;re screwed because the shaft holds your wheel on (indirectly). Without it, you&#39;re going nowhere.

Another option, if you absolutely must wheel your truck, is to crank the torsion bars in the front to level out the ride a bit. Take it to the tire shop and have them throw on some Firestone Destination MTs or Goodyear MT/Rs, or even BFG Mud Terrains. Some sort of aggressively treaded tire.. and go have some fun. Just be ready to hook up a tow strap more often than anyone else.
[/b]

Sorry, I misread the first part of what you wrote. I completely agree with you especially because I have a lease. It would be much better to buy a cheap used Jeep and beat the hell out of it than sink &#036;2000 into my Trailblazer. I think I will seriously consider doing that. Keep your eyes out on one for me this spring :blink:

keithshotrodshop
April 1st, 2006, 08:33 AM
How about a straight axle swap? Or simply cutting the fenders to run the size tires you want?

SKIP
April 1st, 2006, 10:40 AM
It&#39;s a lease unfortunately...

Roadhouse
April 2nd, 2006, 10:51 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(keithshotrodshop &#064; Apr 1 2006, 08&#58;33 AM) 12693</div>

How about a straight axle swap? Or simply cutting the fenders to run the size tires you want?
[/b]

good idea, but what do you do with the front diff that is bolted to the side of the oil pan and the axleshaft that passes through the oil pain..............I hate trailblazers for the reason alone.

Jarhead
April 11th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Angel,

By chance did you get out on the dunes this past weekend? I know you made it to the meeting, just wondering if you got the chance to get sandy?

jayangela
April 11th, 2006, 09:48 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jarhead &#064; Apr 11 2006, 12&#58;37 PM) 13061</div>

Angel,

By chance did you get out on the dunes this past weekend? I know you made it to the meeting, just wondering if you got the chance to get sandy?
[/b]
Hi Bob, well as the guys in my club (msg) so nicely put it, "I got in a fight with the sand and the sand won." Let&#39;s just say the truck is out of commission for a while.

Roadhouse
April 11th, 2006, 11:09 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Angel &#064; Apr 11 2006, 09&#58;48 PM) 13068</div>

"I got in a fight with the sand and the sand won." Let&#39;s just say the truck is out of commission for a while.
[/b]

Oh Snap&#33;

Jarhead
April 12th, 2006, 05:03 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Angel &#064; Apr 11 2006, 09&#58;48 PM) 13068</div>

"I got in a fight with the sand and the sand won."
[/b]
Ouch&#33; Well, you are not the first, nor are you going to be the last to repeat those words...