PDA

View Full Version : Riverside County restricts OHV use

Jeeperz-Creeperz
March 21st, 2006, 07:58 PM
RIVERSIDE COUNTY RELEASES LATEST DRAFT OF OHV ORDINANCE. IT REQUIRES RESIDENTS TO OBTAIN A PERMIT, MINIMUM ACREAGES, LARGE SETBACKS AND A SEVERLY LIMTED RIDING PERIOD.

BAKERSFIELD, CA (March 16,2006) –After the last Board of Supervisors meeting on January 24th, it comes as no surprise that Riverside County proposes an extremely restrictive ordinance that, when coupled with their sound ordinance, effectively bans OHV use on all private property in Riverside County.

Some of the highlights of the county’s latest offering to their residents are: any property owner wanting to ride on their own property must obtain a permit from the county and pay the fee associated with that permit which is not specified in the draft ordinance, a riding period that restricts OHV use from 12pm to 5pm, and no riding on parcels less than 10 acres unless notarized permission is obtained from all contiguous property owners. Along with permit and acreage rules you must have a 100 foot setback from your property line and a 250 foot setback from any residence located on an adjacent parcel.

The Off-Road Business Association (ORBA), the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA), EcoLogic, the McGrath family, and many Riverside County property owners have spent a considerable amount of time assisting the county in crafting an ordinance that is fair to both off-roaders in the county and residents who have valid complaints. “It is becoming obvious to the off-road community that the County of Riverside has decided to create an ordinance that discriminates against people who choose to recreate on OHV’s in responsible manner on their own property”, said Meg Grossglass of ORBA.

Jack McGrath stated “I just can’t believe the Supervisors would waste our time and our attorney’s time telling us they want an ordinance fair to all residents and then come out with both an OHV and noise ordinance which so obviously discriminates against OHV use. There are so many exemptions in the noise ordinance it is hard to believe this ordinance was not specifically written to restrict OHV use. We are taking a serious look at litigating on both of these issues”. McGrath also said “the time has come for the off-road community to stand up and let their voices be heard. Attend the Supervisors meeting on March 28th and show them how many families they are going to adversely affect. If they choose not to listen then, we as resident can choose differently when it is time to vote”.

ORBA, the AMA, EcoLogic and the McGrath family will continue to work with the County Board of Supervisors to develop a fair and reasonable OHV ordinance. Our hope is that the Supervisors will respond to our legitimate concerns and rectify the situation so as to be fair to all residents in the county.

Jarhead
March 22nd, 2006, 05:18 AM
The proposed ordinance is completely irresponsible and apprehensible; a direct assault on OHV uses on PRIVATE Land? It is difficult enough to defend and fight to keep Public Lands Public. Now, California has decided to commence a direct assault on Private Lands as well! As too many of us are aware, a trend is often started in California and then sweeps across this nation. I can only hope they are able to motivate those involved to repeal this proposed ordinance. They don’t want to force me to utilize my Second Amendment Rights…
:Jarhead:

joe_jeep
March 22nd, 2006, 08:29 AM
probably not the best idea to come onto my land. bad things happen there :ph34r:

Yetti
March 22nd, 2006, 08:10 PM
some one had a an ordiance simular on the table for Oakland county here about 2 years ago. they wanted to ban orv use on private land and it would have restricted lawn mowing and other equipment. it was tossed out but i thinks its hiding somewhere waiting to make a come back.

Jeeperz-Creeperz
March 23rd, 2006, 09:32 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jarhead &#064; Mar 22 2006, 05&#58;18 AM) 12261</div>
As too many of us are aware, a trend is often started in California and then sweeps across this nation. [/b]

This is SO true. A California judge actually impacted a decision that was made here in Michigan because it was related to a National forest. (It had nothing to do with this case in particular but did have to do with some snowmobile trails around Baldwin).