PDA

View Full Version : scout dana 44 rear width

joe_jeep
March 21st, 2006, 10:28 AM
how wide is a rear dana 44 from a scout (wms to wms) i got a dana 44 and a 9 inch from a 79 bronco. the 9 inch is getting kinda pricey to build (hi pinion). was thinking of going to a scout dana 44 rear and the 79 bronco d44 front.
but am worried the widths are gonna be too different??? or is it possible to use the 9 inch in low pinion in a tj with 5.5 inches of lift. i dont think the low pinion 9 inch is an option cause of driveshaft angles. my driveshaft now is about maxed out angle wise with a d35, and 9inch is lower yet. im going to get lifted motor mounts and adjustable control arms, but i still dont think it can be done and have any kind of u joint life. i like the 9inch but $1999.00 for a true hi nine third member, and about $400.00 for shafts, and about $400.00 for the re bracket kit is kinda steep.
might be cheaper to go scout 44 rear. any ideas???????

WhiteRhino
March 21st, 2006, 11:51 AM
I can't give you any input on the D44. But a standard low pinion 9" will work just fine. That is what I have with a spring over and the RE 1.5 lift springs. Gives me about 7" of lift. You just need a CV driveshaft which you should have anyway.

95geo
March 21st, 2006, 12:28 PM
the 9" has more potential than a d44, i'd run a high angle cv rear shaft and tilt the low pinion up some to help out. depending on the tire size or plans for the truck it might not be a bad time to add a couple inches to the wheelbase in the rear, but that would require fender cutting.... but on the flip side youll be able to keep the truck lower

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread....hlight=9in+rear (http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=448154&highlight=9in+rear)

shawn
March 22nd, 2006, 06:46 PM
IIRC, mine is about 58-59" somewhere in there. I know the front is 61" (with the chevy/ford setup). And the rear was little narrower, but not much, I think it is 58 though.

nick_n_ii
April 4th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Why not go with a "New" double CV rear driveshaft from Tom Woods with there new higher offset U-joints.

I've read of 10" of lift with this shaft and Ujoint combo being used on a stock wheel based YJ, and no known issues. go that rought with the 9"

joe_jeep
April 5th, 2006, 07:47 AM
i got a double cardan tom woods cv drive shaft, but the normal joints in it. im leaning towards the 9incher. i wanted the nine all along, but was gonna go with a true hi 9 center section. but it lookin like gonna need to stay low pinion for the money savings. ill tilt the pinion angle up, and mabey try the offset ujoints, or even a shaft from high angle driveline.

Timberwolf
April 9th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Not sure if that's what you meant, but you can't use the offset u-joint in the double cardan CV joint.

It also is not recomended to use the offset u-joint for a rear driveshaft application. It will vibrate at high speed because the two halves are not oscillating on the same plane.

Tom Woods recomends this joint for steep front driveline applications.

Just run the 9" for strength. Tilt the pinion up, inline with the shaft, and use a good quality built shaft with a CV joint at the T-case output.