PDA

View Full Version : Gitchee Gumee 2015, September 25-26

Administrator
July 22nd, 2015, 06:29 PM
Gitchee Gume 2015

September 25-26, 2015

This is open to GLFDA members only. If you'd like to become a member and attend, you can join HERE (http://www.glfwda.org/content.php?9-individual-membership).

Registration must be received by September 1, 2015

2015 Gitchee Gumee Registration (http://www.glfwda.org/docs/2015 Gitchee Gumee Registration.pdf)

landj
July 22nd, 2015, 09:28 PM
Link doesn't work

Ms.ZJ
July 22nd, 2015, 10:23 PM
Link doesn't work

I can email the registration to you.

Ms.ZJ
July 22nd, 2015, 10:28 PM
Sent.

MsUndrstood
July 22nd, 2015, 10:32 PM
I'll see if I can post the link also...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tumbleweed
July 23rd, 2015, 01:15 AM
pm sent

indy
July 23rd, 2015, 09:11 AM
pm sent

Please send all PMs to me, or call direct 248-404-5188.
Jim

MsUndrstood
July 23rd, 2015, 09:16 AM

indy
July 23rd, 2015, 09:31 AM
Its Gitchee time again, here's what you need to know:

This is a real trail ride, I don't want to offend anyone here but I want everyone to know what Gitchee is about, Its a fairly hard core two track trip that is based is Ontario about 30 min past the Sault. It will be held on logging roads and skidder trails that are 30ish years old, you will encounter scratches, Logs, Mud, rocks, and some of the most scenic land you could ever lay your eyes on! These trail rides typically last 12 hours in the woods plus a 30 minute drive on the highway each way from camp.

What to bring:
Spare gas, spare dry clothes, spare food, spare parts, spare vehicle fluids, even a spare oil filter is good to have, Chainsaw, lopers, anything that will help clear a trail if needed! Remember to bring a TEAM attitude,

Who will do best on this run:
33s and up, either lockers or a winch, both preferred. Smaller rigs do OK, but be prepared to get pulled often.

Who will not do so great on this run:
Members who are looking for hardcore rock crawls, we have a couple that last year blew out windows and broke a few parts. That's not really what this is about. We can accommodate, but, I'm not pushing this run as a super hardcore run.
Members who are totally stock, if I had enough people interested in Fall Color Tour type of trip for stockers I can accommodate.

You will need a current passport or enhanced drivers license to get over the bridge, if you are camping it is also a good idea to check with the boarder to see what can and cannot be brought across the bridge.

Ms.ZJ
July 23rd, 2015, 12:14 PM
Thanks, Jim, passing info along.

phittie1100
July 23rd, 2015, 01:04 PM
Can't wait!

frdtrckmnrich
July 23rd, 2015, 07:43 PM
Reservations made and form is in the mail.:thumb:

lgottler
July 31st, 2015, 09:33 AM
Where is the form? Missed it.

MsUndrstood
July 31st, 2015, 09:36 AM
It's posted in first posting on this thread

fsumotorhead
July 31st, 2015, 09:42 AM
Its Gitchee time again, here's what you need to know:

This is a real trail ride, I don't want to offend anyone here but I want everyone to know what Gitchee is about, Its a fairly hard core two track trip that is based is Ontario about 30 min past the Sault. It will be held on logging roads and skidder trails that are 30ish years old, you will encounter scratches, Logs, Mud, rocks, and some of the most scenic land you could ever lay your eyes on! These trail rides typically last 12 hours in the woods plus a 30 minute drive on the highway each way from camp.

What to bring:
Spare gas, spare dry clothes, spare food, spare parts, spare vehicle fluids, even a spare oil filter is good to have, Chainsaw, lopers, anything that will help clear a trail if needed! Remember to bring a TEAM attitude,

Who will do best on this run:
33s and up, either lockers or a winch, both preferred. Smaller rigs do OK, but be prepared to get pulled often.

Who will not do so great on this run:
Members who are looking for hardcore rock crawls, we have a couple that last year blew out windows and broke a few parts. That's not really what this is about. We can accommodate, but, I'm not pushing this run as a super hardcore run.
Members who are totally stock, if I had enough people interested in Fall Color Tour type of trip for stockers I can accommodate.

You will need a current passport or enhanced drivers license to get over the bridge, if you are camping it is also a good idea to check with the boarder to see what can and cannot be brought across the bridge.

x2

and spare lug nuts...

phittie1100
July 31st, 2015, 11:20 AM
Indy left out the most important part - you need to bring your sense of adventure. If you are looking for a West Branch-style trail ride you should wait for SnoFari or plan to attend the Trolls Fall Color Tour. The trail system used for GG is fairly rugged and primitive, but very manageable in a nearly stock vehicle. Water crossings? Yup, got that. Ravine crossings? Yup, got that. 40" diameter trees blocking the trail that leads back to camp? Yup, got that. Rock gardens in the dark? Yup, got that too. Pin striping, bumpers modified by trees, scraped skid plates? Yup sometimes a little of that too. But fantastic scenery, good company and good times like this are hard to find.

Oh and dittos on the lug nuts, after the last two trips up there I now carry a fistful of extras, including several that don't even fit my Jeep. Long drive to the closest Auto Zone!

lgottler
July 31st, 2015, 02:46 PM
Looks like tapatalk didnt like the link, I asked because it didnt work. But with web browser it worked.

frdtrckmnrich
July 31st, 2015, 09:55 PM
So how will we know if we make the list?

WhiteRhino
August 1st, 2015, 06:15 AM
Why you guys gotta bring up things like lug nuts? :slap: I carry a set of studs and nuts for both front and rear. For some reason, I've seen this happen more than once on the trail.:confused:

Kinda reevaluating our fall plans. Might be making it after all.

MsUndrstood
August 1st, 2015, 08:02 AM
So how will we know if we make the list?

So far, if you sent in a registration, you've made the list... I'll send out a confirmation email soon[emoji4]

phittie1100
August 2nd, 2015, 06:49 PM
Why you guys gotta bring up things like lug nuts? :slap: I carry a set of studs and nuts for both front and rear. For some reason, I've seen this happen more than once on the trail.:confused:

Kinda reevaluating our fall plans. Might be making it after all.
Our friend fsumotorhead had his own lugnut issues in 2013, in fact a couple of times a couple hundred yards apart.

landj
August 2nd, 2015, 07:18 PM
Our friend fsumotorhead had his own lugnut issues in 2013, in fact a couple of times a couple hundred yards apart.

Oh what a night that was.

fsumotorhead
August 3rd, 2015, 06:57 AM

LOL, and I think I borrowed 5 lugnuts from several different people.

I didn't need to look far to find the picture.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb226/fsumotorhead/Gitche%20Gumee%202013/DSCN3040_zpsf36da60c.jpg

Oh what a night that was.

x2, but it was a good one!

WhiteRhino
August 3rd, 2015, 08:52 AM
Glad it's never happened to me.:rolleyes:

lgottler
August 4th, 2015, 09:51 AM
I think this time I am going to remove the back seat. No daughter this time, her birthday falls on Sunday and she wants a party this year. This will let me bring more gas and luxury items like food and water.

I need to groove some newer tires I got, build a new bottom for my tcase, front wheel bearing, patch a muffler leak, make a new cb mount, redrill front rim to run true, and replace my cam sensor mount/shaft. First I need to find a printer for the registration.

WhiteRhino
August 4th, 2015, 01:29 PM
I have more to do than I can list. But I will be there.

Campground reservations made.:thumb:

Tumbleweed
August 5th, 2015, 01:11 AM
Camp site reserved. Can't wait.

landj
August 6th, 2015, 12:57 PM
Glad to see your going to be there Jim K. Any kayaking in your plans?

WhiteRhino
August 6th, 2015, 08:59 PM
Glad to see your going to be there Jim K. Any kayaking in your plans?

Hi Jeff. No, we won't be doing the river trip this year. Heading home Sunday morning.

keithshotrodshop
August 7th, 2015, 09:33 AM
Can't wait!

keithshotrodshop
August 7th, 2015, 11:06 AM
Woohoo! I just reserved two rooms at the campground because I am camperless right now, and my old butt is not a fan of tents, especially with the kids. Registration will be in mail today!

phittie1100
August 7th, 2015, 02:40 PM
Hhhmmmm...I probably need to call my Dad and remind him that me selling the camper means sleeping in a tent in Ontario in late September

frdtrckmnrich
August 8th, 2015, 08:46 AM
I got my confirmation email.:thumb: I am super excited to say the least!

Tumbleweed
August 8th, 2015, 11:04 AM
Woo-Hoo! We're in also.

WhiteRhino
August 9th, 2015, 06:53 AM
Hhhmmmm...I probably need to call my Dad and remind him that me selling the camper means sleeping in a tent in Ontario in late September

I thought you would be sportin the new 44' Prevost by then.

DDS4X4
August 9th, 2015, 06:58 PM
Hittie must have scored a LARGE tax refund from somebody :)

phittie1100
August 10th, 2015, 06:40 AM
I thought you would be sportin the new 44' Prevost by then.
We are going to lurk in the shadows this fall waiting for someone who does not want to pay for winterizing and storage, then pounce. And 44' is about a half mile longer than what I am shopping for.

Sent from my electronic tether

keithshotrodshop
August 10th, 2015, 12:05 PM
We are going to lurk in the shadows this fall waiting for someone who does not want to pay for winterizing and storage, then pounce. And 44' is about a half mile longer than what I am shopping for.

Sent from my electronic tether
Hey! That's my plan!

phittie1100
August 10th, 2015, 12:11 PM
Great minds think alike!

Ironman Offroad
August 10th, 2015, 06:14 PM
I am in (If you guys will have me)..
Been asked to sweep.
Got an empty trailer spot if someone wants to split fuel.

lgottler
August 12th, 2015, 09:34 AM
Fancy campers are for girls. Unless you have room for my sleeping bag and me, then they are awesome!

My wife got me a tent cot for my bday I'll be trying out. Off the ground and in a tent. Only downside is the ability to pick up the cot with someone sleping inside and relocate them at night.

keithshotrodshop
August 13th, 2015, 10:00 AM
Less than two months away and we are almost ready! All I have left to do is build/swap in the new rear axle, swap in the new trans and clutch, fix the cb, rewire the winch, build bump stops and/or radius the fenders for clearance, and a few small things.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk

WhiteRhino
August 18th, 2015, 03:44 PM
My run for Friday:
100% exploration. I am going to explore an area that as far as I know, none of our group has ever been in. The fun part of a trip like this is that it can be scenic and adventuresome. The downside is that it can be a total bust with boring logging roads, dead ends, who knows. Ironman Offroad is going to be my sweep. It should be noted that we will have 20 miles of pavement before we hit the gravel road which is another 20 miles from the area we are going to explore. So........... 40 miles each way just to and from the exploration point.

What a participant needs over and above what has been stated before:
Spare fuel
Spare clothes both warm and cold
Lots of food and water
Anything you think you might need if we get lost or stranded overnight.
A GOOD ATTITUDE!

My Saturday run:
Since Friday can be long, I will run some local fun stuff around camp. (still might be 15 miles from camp) It will all depend on who signs up for the run as to what we will do.

CheapthrillB2
August 18th, 2015, 10:24 PM
I'm excited, trial run for my future of wheeling lol.

WhiteRhino
August 19th, 2015, 09:18 AM
So I'm told there are a whopping 10 people signed up for GG.

Where is everyone??????????????

CheapthrillB2
August 19th, 2015, 11:24 AM
Maybe they all misbehaved and aren't allowed in canadaville anymore.

fsumotorhead
August 19th, 2015, 11:55 AM
I'm personally going to be traveling for work to Manitoba, so I'll be in Canada!

I am really bummed I won't be able to make it :(

phittie1100
August 19th, 2015, 05:37 PM
So I'm told there are a whopping 10 people signed up for GG.

Where is everyone??????????????

I find the whole thing to be a nice change of pace from the typical Grayling or St Helen event, but I wonder if GG is too rugged/remote/intimidating for most? Or is it too many (any) road miles that keeps some home?

Where else can you re-explore abandoned trails overgrown with 3" diameter trees, travel along a washed out road 15 feet above a river with half a tire hanging in the breeze, explore an abandoned mine, drive/float across a swift river current, and share a bottle of fine Canadian rye whiskey with new friends all in one day?

WhiteRhino
August 19th, 2015, 09:20 PM
I don't know but I know we will have a good time.

frdtrckmnrich
August 19th, 2015, 11:24 PM
I don't know but I know we will have a good time.
X2

phittie1100
August 20th, 2015, 08:34 AM
I don't know but I know we will have a good time.:thumb:

timbercruiser
August 21st, 2015, 03:08 PM
GLFWDA App will be in the mail today!

My trail will be closer to camp and plenty of fun/challenge for all truck sizes! As mentioned earlier, stock can do it, but be ready to get pulled.
P.S. Is it $40 per person or rig?

bikerdc17
August 24th, 2015, 01:13 PM
So im from traverse city and I'm thinking about going (if approved). Where exactly is this at in Canada? I'm having troubles finding it for whatever reason. Also this is my first post and just wanted to say hi to everyone.

WhiteRhino
August 24th, 2015, 02:22 PM
Howdy :wave:

We base camp at a campground called Blueberry Hill Resort 17 miles north of Sault Ste. Marie, Canada. It is on Hwy 17. Gas and a cafeteria/bar are just down the street. If you need better food than that, you have to go back in to town.

Trail rides are primitive, long distance and primarily 2 tracking but there are spots where you will use 4wd.

Approval is paying your membership and event fee.:thumb:

phittie1100
August 25th, 2015, 04:05 PM
So im from traverse city and I'm thinking about going (if approved). Where exactly is this at in Canada? I'm having troubles finding it for whatever reason. Also this is my first post and just wanted to say hi to everyone.

The more the merrier, hope to see you up there!

plcprog
August 28th, 2015, 10:31 AM
Mailed my 2015 Gitchee Gumee Registration in today. Looked at last years photos, looks like a lot of fun, can't wait.

MsUndrstood
August 28th, 2015, 12:08 PM
We 14 rigs so far... I will take registrations till Tuesday, September 8th... Get those forms in and come on up for a fun weekend in the woods[emoji4]

Tumbleweed
August 28th, 2015, 02:18 PM
C'mon folks, you know you want to. :poke: :ahhh:

lgottler
August 28th, 2015, 04:57 PM
I really should reserve a site.

A side note about prep: check your junk all over! Wheel bearings, ujoints, tie rods, etc... the road miles are usually harder on my stuff than the trails! Last month I was moving my rims around and for the heck of it spun my wheels to feel the bearings. Well, one felt a little harder than the other. Drove it one mile down the road, and went to pull I apart and both bearings were siezed and a closer look revealed a cracked hub that leaked water in that rusted stuff right up. Imagine 30 miles on that!

Ironman Offroad
September 3rd, 2015, 09:19 PM
They tell me I can go!
Same plan as last year.

plcprog
September 7th, 2015, 08:31 AM
I have an MT seat if someone would like to ride along.

landj
September 13th, 2015, 01:47 PM
1259 Stupid deer

lgottler
September 13th, 2015, 10:05 PM
Ouch!

My list is getting smaller. My reverse light is brighter than my headlights! Rims re-drilled and back on. CB antenna remounted to a swivel so I can get in the garage without injuring bystanders. Started to collect my stuff, the house move really messed up my supplies. And I made a reservation!!!

WhiteRhino
September 14th, 2015, 05:57 AM
Just gotta pack and load.

landj
September 14th, 2015, 12:01 PM
Talked to the dealer this morning . There on the truck as we speak. No body damage.

WhiteRhino
September 14th, 2015, 04:22 PM
Doesn't look bad in the pic.

landj
September 14th, 2015, 04:37 PM
Got the bumper, grill , trans cooler and ?. Nice thing is I told them I needed it back before next Tuesday or give me a loaner. There trying there best to get back to me.

BlueJay
September 14th, 2015, 10:16 PM
Im shotguning with Timbercruiser and trying to make reservations at the campgrond but the phone number listed does not work for some reason. The website is down and they havent answered their EMail....Does anyone have a good way to contact the campground? I didnt have this problem last year!

MsUndrstood
September 14th, 2015, 10:19 PM
Im shotguning with Timbercruiser and trying to make reservations at the campgrond but the phone number listed does not work for some reason. The website is down and they havent answered their EMail....Does anyone have a good way to contact the campground? I didnt have this problem last year!

Here's another number for them...
1 (705) 649-5631 you can try this one or try the 800# again tomorrow[emoji4]

BlueJay
September 15th, 2015, 11:13 AM
Thanks but the one you listed is the one ive been trying. What is the 800# that i cant seem to find?

fsumotorhead
September 15th, 2015, 11:29 AM
Thanks but the one you listed is the one ive been trying. What is the 800# that i cant seem to find?

There website is up right now.

http://globaltourism.com/motel/185.htm

Blueberry Hill Motel & Campground
RR#2, Goulais River, Ontario, Canada P0S 1E0
Phone (705)649-5631 or 1-800-811-4411
Map: Where is Goulais River, Ontario?
E-Mail us for Enquiry or Booking

BlueJay
September 15th, 2015, 02:39 PM
Reservations made! Thanks!

frdtrckmnrich
September 21st, 2015, 07:37 AM
Only 3 1/2 days to go.:ahhh:

WhiteRhino
September 21st, 2015, 09:11 AM
Only 3 1/2 days to go.:ahhh:

2 for me :thumb:

kb8ymf
September 21st, 2015, 09:38 PM
Outta here when the wife gets out of work tomorrow. Should be touching down in Blueberry Wednesday morning............Any late arrivers on Wednesday evening, stop by Moby Dick, we'll have a roaring fire going, (as usual)
Jim - kb8ymf

timbercruiser
September 22nd, 2015, 07:49 AM
I'll be there Thursday sometime.

landj
September 22nd, 2015, 01:08 PM
Arriving late afternoon Wednesday

frdtrckmnrich
September 22nd, 2015, 03:04 PM
Less than 48 hrs and we will be on the road!:ahhh:

keithshotrodshop
September 22nd, 2015, 06:38 PM
We will be rolling in very late Thurs night. What time are signups Fri and where?

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

MsUndrstood
September 22nd, 2015, 07:05 PM
Sign up is from 6:30-7:30am at our camp site... I can't remember what number she gave me but possibly around #50... Just look for our blue Jeep[emoji4]

WhiteRhino
September 22nd, 2015, 07:56 PM
Sign up is from 6:30-7:30am at our camp site... I can't remember what number she gave me but possibly around #50... Just look for our blue Jeep[emoji4]

Why so late?:lmao:

To anyone attending, please gas up your trail rig before you get to camp Thursday night. Most of the runs are pulling out pretty early Friday and if we can avoid stopping for gas/ice/food it would be good.

The weather forecast is great! WOOT! Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Ms.ZJ
September 23rd, 2015, 09:03 AM
Please take LOTS of pictures!
They're needed not only for my viewing pleasure, but could also be used for the Boondocker and maybe to promote GG 2016.

I would also like to remind you all that your stories about this run are needed for publishing in the Boondocker. Have fun and tell us all about it.

GET YOUR BRAG ON! :thumb:

lgottler
September 23rd, 2015, 09:28 AM
Good weather!? It is supposed to be dry and sunny, what could possibly be good about that? I want rain for 2 weeks prior then a frost, then sunny when we get there.

I'll be leaving Thursday a.m. looking at a 6pm arrival.

Definitely gassing the jeep up on the way up, been driving it to work for a few days so I think she is as ready as can be.

keithshotrodshop
September 23rd, 2015, 10:00 PM
We are finally finished up and loaded up. Hitting the road after work!

plcprog
September 24th, 2015, 10:43 AM
On my way.

hunter4x4
September 25th, 2015, 07:12 AM
Safe travels guys!! Have a great time, can't wait to hear the stories and see the pics!!

(PS: Going to post this on the public general forums, also!! But just wanted to say it to all of you personally!)

WhiteRhino
September 27th, 2015, 05:32 PM
Had a great time. I took ZERO pics. Sorry. Very little color this year, it was just starting to turn but the weather, campfire, breakfast and camaraderie were great. Oh and so was the wheeling.:lmao:

plcprog
September 27th, 2015, 06:10 PM
Got back ok and had a good time. Photos are too big to post. Where or how do we send them.

WhiteRhino
September 27th, 2015, 06:53 PM
Do you know how to resize them? I use Microsoft picture manager and then upload them to photobucket. Then you can copy the link.
Resize to 1024 x 768

frdtrckmnrich
September 28th, 2015, 08:45 AM
It was our first GG ever and we had a great time, We will be back! Thank You to all that make this run possible.

We took a bunch of pics, I will get them loaded in the next couple days.

plcprog
September 28th, 2015, 08:48 AM
Got back ok and had a good time. Photos are too big to post. Where or how do we send them.

I know how to resize. It would take too long to do all photos. If GLFWD wants photos shared then this limit should be changed or another way to share should be found.

keithshotrodshop
September 28th, 2015, 10:48 AM
I know how to resize. It would take too long to do all photos. If GLFWD wants photos shared then this limit should be changed or another way to share should be found.
Tapatalk works

WhiteRhino
September 28th, 2015, 11:17 AM
Most forums take a little bit of work to upload pics. It's no easier on GL4x4 or Michigan Wheelers.

AMCCJ5
September 29th, 2015, 11:03 PM
It was our first GG ever and we had a great time, We will be back! Thank You to all that make this run possible.

We took a bunch of pics, I will get them loaded in the next couple days.

lgottler
September 30th, 2015, 10:01 AM
Had a great time!

Nice trip up on Thursday, made it up with enough daylight to let me setup and unload without a flashlight... for once!

Weather was absolutely perfect, low 70s and sunny mostly, hard to tell in the woods. Friday I busted a ujoint on my rear driveshaft. I was able to repair, but my yoke was cracked, so while I drove it out, I needed a new one. That night after a trip into town only to learn everything was closed, whiterhino was able to contact Curly who happened to have a whole tcase for sale. The price was right, so I swung over and nabbed it, then back at camp put on the new yoke.

Saturday was fun and sunny. Indy had some minor power steering issues towards the end, but everyone made it back to camp. I ran out of gas in the campgrounds driveway, but had spare wih me!

I took 2 pics. Nothing special. Sunday I left early to make it home in time for my daughters bday party!

MsUndrstood
September 30th, 2015, 10:19 AM
I'm so glad everyone had fun this past Gutchee Gumee weekend! Mark your calendars... Gitchee Gumee 2016, granted its approved to have next year, will be September 23-24, 2016... See everyone next year[emoji4]

plcprog
October 12th, 2015, 07:26 AM
I posted my Gitchee Gumee 2015 photos on the "What Lies Beyond Jeep Club" Face Book Page.

https://www.facebook.com/WhatLiesBeyondJeepClub

indy
October 12th, 2015, 08:23 PM
I posted my Gitchee Gumee 2015 photos on the "What Lies Beyond Jeep Club" Face Book Page.

https://www.facebook.com/WhatLiesBeyondJeepClub

These are great photos, please share them on the GLFWDA Facebook page!

CheapthrillB2
October 15th, 2015, 06:48 PM
When do the registration checks get cashed? Haven't seen mine hit the bank yet.

MsUndrstood
October 15th, 2015, 07:09 PM
They've all been sent to the GLFWDA's treasurer... I will find out the answer to that question...

Tumbleweed
October 27th, 2015, 12:20 PM
Anything new on the checks? Mine is over 90 days old, not sure if that will be a problem or not.

Thanks.

Tumbleweed
October 29th, 2015, 01:59 PM
My check cleared this morning.
Thanks for taking care of this.
Jerry

MsUndrstood
October 29th, 2015, 02:04 PM
Good to hear... I apologize it took so long! Hopefully next year we can come up with a different way for payment [emoji4]

WhiteRhino
October 29th, 2015, 07:25 PM
I accept beer or rum. :idea:

MsUndrstood
October 29th, 2015, 07:30 PM
I accept beer or rum. :idea:

I'll remember that for next year![emoji851]

gnjeepn
October 30th, 2015, 09:29 AM
Our club uses http://EVENTBRITE.COM . There are some fees involved but they are minimal for what they can do for you.

MsUndrstood
October 30th, 2015, 09:39 AM
We are looking into that for DOA next year... If it works well we'll use it for GG[emoji4]