PDA

View Full Version : Trailer tie downs

Ridgerunner
March 13th, 2006, 05:24 PM
I just picked up a new trailer for haulin the jeep and was wonderin what kind of tie downs most people are using. I did a little bit of research so far and not sure wheather to use chains or rachet straps. I'm figuring on using at least 10,000 lb. rated chain or straps.I've used rachet straps for haulin building materials around town but I'm not so sure on the jeep when travlin 100's of miles.Should I be lookin at heavier rated tie downs? Any thoughts on chain VS. straps would be great.

95geo
March 13th, 2006, 05:36 PM
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Towing/index.html

Ridgerunner
March 13th, 2006, 07:50 PM
thanks for the tip Bryce, I forgot obout those threads over there. I'll check it out.

Ridgerunner
March 13th, 2006, 08:22 PM
seems like most posters on the tread over there prefer chains over straps or a combination of both. seems like people have a lot of differant ways of rigging. Just lookin for input from trailer riggers on here. Any tips or thoughts on rigging?

95geo
March 13th, 2006, 08:33 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ridgerunner &#064; Mar 13 2006, 07&#58;22 PM) 11980</div>

Any tips or thoughts on rigging?
[/b]

i use 4 straps to the axles, one in each corner

some say not to do it that way but it works well if you get them all good and tight

kb8ymf
March 13th, 2006, 11:11 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(95geo &#064; Mar 13 2006, 07&#58;33 PM) 11982</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ridgerunner &#064; Mar 13 2006, 07&#58;22 PM) 11980

Any tips or thoughts on rigging?
[/b]

i use 4 straps to the axles, one in each corner

some say not to do it that way but it works well if you get them all good and tight
[/b][/quote]

And I use two chain &#39;J&#39; hooks over the front axle and two rachet tie downs at the rear axle....doing it that way for 20+ years. Haven&#39;t &#39;lost&#39; a rig yet. The only problem with tieing down the axles is the vehicle pitches when going around corners and and in side winds and such. Could be a bit unerving with vehicle with mucho suspension travel. On the flip side, tieing the frame down leads to potential suspension compression and unloading which can in turn loosen up the straps and worst case become unattached.
j-kb8ymf

WhiteRhino
March 14th, 2006, 08:31 AM
I have tried tieing down the frame with poor results. Like JM said, the straps loosen up. Chains seem to bounce alot and that is always the down side to a chain..... when it takes a shock load. I also agree with JM that the Jeep tends to sway around on the springs. But, I think this is better because it does not preload the springs.

I use a single chain in the rear looped around the axle and hooked to each side in the rear. I used to use ratchet straps in the rear until I read the Pirate post about a strap breaking in a head on condition. Made sense to me.

I use 2 ratchet straps in the front. I find that even used and stretched straps will always stretch after an hour or
so. So, I like 2 for security. I have also used one and never had a problem. I also use the extra left over length of the ratchet strap to tie the ratchet end (short) back to the trailer frame. In that way, if the ratchet fails, you are still tied down.

I have also read where people are opposed to tieing the axle because it preloads the axle shaft bearings and causes them to brinnel more than a lively suspension would. A couple years ago, I was at a bearing failure seminar put on by Case University. I posed the question to the professor. He was pretty befuddled..... had never heard the question before. After pausing and discussion, he told me that both ways will harm the bearing because you are putting more concentrated load on the bearing for an extended time. He recommended not doing it at all&#33; :rolf:

calvynandhobbs
March 14th, 2006, 08:38 AM
I run chains around the rear axle at both corners to the rear of the trailer and 10,000 ratchet straps to the front axle. The ratchet straps tighten everything up really good and the chains don&#39;t give at all if I have to hit the brakes hard. I&#39;ve never had anything even loosen up while trailering so I&#39;ll probably keep doing it this way.

Roger

Roadhouse
March 14th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Stupid question but is there any law that says the rig needs to be tied down in a certain way? I know there is for equipment(bobcats, roller, backhoe, etc) but doesn&#39;t know if it applies to car/trucks/jeeps.
I&#39;m sure hardly anyone gets stopped by the DOT weighmaster towing a Jeep, so even if the equipement tie down requirements are for passenger vehicles also I doubt to many regular cops would check it out. Same as trailer brakes on both axles.

lgottler
March 14th, 2006, 01:08 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(calvynandhobbs &#064; Mar 14 2006, 04&#58;38 AM) 11996</div>

I run chains around the rear axle at both corners to the rear of the trailer and 10,000 ratchet straps to the front axle. The ratchet straps tighten everything up really good and the chains don&#39;t give at all if I have to hit the brakes hard. I&#39;ve never had anything even loosen up while trailering so I&#39;ll probably keep doing it this way.

Roger
[/b]

Once I get some chain, that is the way I plan on going. Right now I use 4 straps, but the chain makes sense at the back....

Lucas

95geo
March 14th, 2006, 01:35 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lgottler &#064; Mar 14 2006, 12&#58;08 PM) 12012</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(calvynandhobbs &#064; Mar 14 2006, 04&#58;38 AM) 11996

Roger
[/b]

Once I get some chain, that is the way I plan on going. Right now I use 4 straps, but the chain makes sense at the back....

Lucas
[/b][/quote]

while doing a little research on this i came to the conclusion that white rhinos style of rigging is only slightly stronger than my 2 ratchet straps (talking from a head on impact standpoint provided everything is in good condition)

i have 2 straps that have a WLL of about 3k lbs and a breaking strength of 10k, putting me at 6k WLL and 20K breaking strength

jim has one chain(sure its tied to the trailer in 2 spots but one link of chain is actually doing all of the tensioning) that has a WLL of about 6600 lbs and a breaking strength about 26000 (3/8" grade 70 transport chain from my 5 minutes of looking into this)

now if you were to run 2 seperate chains in the rear then it would be significantly stronger

take it for what its worth

Ridgerunner
March 14th, 2006, 02:04 PM
My first thoughts about how to rig was to to use 4 seperate chains and set them up diagonaly to form an X.And I would do the same if I go the strap route. Its great to get input from everyone. I,ve flat towed for years and lookin forward to the convienence of a trailer. I just want to do it safe and secure.Is anyone else using the J hooks that JM talked about? this sounds like a convienant method. What size rod would you make them out of? Or do you buy purpose made type?

WhiteRhino
March 14th, 2006, 02:08 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(95geo &#064; Mar 14 2006, 12&#58;35 PM) 12015</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lgottler &#064; Mar 14 2006, 12&#58;08 PM) 12012

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(calvynandhobbs &#064; Mar 14 2006, 04&#58;38 AM) 11996

Roger
[/b]

Lucas
[/b][/quote]

while doing a little research on this i came to the conclusion that white rhinos style of rigging is only slightly stronger than my 2 ratchet straps (talking from a head on impact standpoint provided everything is in good condition)

i have 2 straps that have a WLL of about 3k lbs and a breaking strength of 10k, putting me at 6k WLL and 20K breaking strength

jim has one chain(sure its tied to the trailer in 2 spots but one link of chain is actually doing all of the tensioning) that has a WLL of about 6600 lbs and a breaking strength about 26000 (3/8" grade 70 transport chain from my 5 minutes of looking into this)

now if you were to run 2 seperate chains in the rear then it would be significantly stronger

take it for what its worth
[/b][/quote]

Yup, I buy into that.
The only difficulty in running 2 chains is getting exactly the same tension on both chains. Currently, I hook the chain so that the front ratchet straps do all the tensioning. I think it would be virtually impossible to get 2 separate chains to tighten up at exactly the same point. Even with a chain binder. Maybe the screw style chain binder would work.... hmmm. So, to do individual rear chains may not be as simple as I first thought.

GerkTJ
March 14th, 2006, 03:34 PM
I&#39;ve always used 4 straps, 2 on each side crossed to form a X and hooked to frame of jeep. I have a good friend that hauled cars for a living and he said they always hook into the frame of the car. It seems to work good for me but then I don&#39;t have the flexy suspension that some have.

Timberwolf
March 14th, 2006, 03:37 PM
For J-hooks, chain, ratchet straps, and other tiedown stuff, check out www.piercewrecker.com .

Sorry, I don&#39;t know how to make that a direct link.

Ridgerunner
March 16th, 2006, 04:53 PM
I found some 3/8" grade 70 chain with hooks on each end from my local parts supplier. good price too. I&#39;m gonna run the chain in the rear and (2) 10k straps up front.thanks for all the input everyone, I new I&#39;d get some good input on here.Lets go wheelin&#33;

roll-bar Bob
March 16th, 2006, 05:54 PM
I RUN 4 - 2" STRAPS &#036;13.99 EACH AT TSC ( ONE ON EACH CORNER ) BUT I CUT 4 PIECES OF 4X6 AND STICK THEM IN MY SUSPENTION SO IT WONT BOUNCE THIS HELPS A LOT :thumb-up:

RBB