PDA

View Full Version : 33inch spare on factory rim???

joe_jeep
March 10th, 2006, 11:34 AM
all i got for a spare is the factory spare tire. 225/75/15. i got some old 33inch bfg mt's. think i could put a 33 on a factory rim and use it as a spare to get off the trail?? i trailer to the events and i dont mind shredding a tire to get to the trail head even. my tow vehicle is 4x4 so i could bring the trailer at least part way to my jeep if necessary! im pretty sure the rim is 6 or 7 inch width. factory rim for 98 wrangler se. this is a spare with a brand new tire never been on the ground. think its better to have a 28 incher mint or a beat up 33 on the wrong size rim. i run 35 inch mtrs on the jeep now. thx for yalls input

Roadhouse
March 10th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Most tj rims where 7" wide, they had one of the nicer ones that was 8"wide. for a spare it will work fine. Its only 5" wider than the wheel. I see people running 15" wide tires on 10" wide wheels all the time.

Jeeperz-Creeperz
March 10th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Depending on width and how much lift you have it may rub. Anything wider than 10.50 on stock rims and 4" or less lift will rub the rear spring cup on the frame in certain circumstances.

If it's just for a spare, then no big deal. You could also put it on the front and move a good tire to the rear (especially if you have a locker).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(joe_jeep &#064; Mar 10 2006, 10&#58;34 AM) 11844</div>

all i got for a spare is the factory spare tire. 225/75/15. i got some old 33inch bfg mt&#39;s. think i could put a 33 on a factory rim and use it as a spare to get off the trail?? i trailer to the events and i dont mind shredding a tire to get to the trail head even. my tow vehicle is 4x4 so i could bring the trailer at least part way to my jeep if necessary&#33; im pretty sure the rim is 6 or 7 inch width. factory rim for 98 wrangler se. this is a spare with a brand new tire never been on the ground. think its better to have a 28 incher mint or a beat up 33 on the wrong size rim. i run 35 inch mtrs on the jeep now. thx for yalls input
[/b]

nick_n_ii
March 10th, 2006, 09:29 PM
I&#39;d pick up a Used or even new Narrow say snow tire of the size you run normaly that way the rim width wouldn&#39;t be a issue, and you would have any problems with a different size tire.

joe_jeep
March 11th, 2006, 02:22 AM
i realize it might rub but i dont really care if it get ruined&#33; heck id even ruin a 35 to get off the trail if i had to. im gonna do it. i know they like our spares to be within 3 inches of the size of the tire u run. and i run 35&#39;s so my 28 inch spare might cause some controversy. ill put a 33 on my spare rim. it will get me off the trail at least in an emergency. i used to never even have a spare for years. if i need to i will shred one of my 35&#39;s to get off the trail there about half worn anyway. i usually never air down, so i dont worry about a flat so much. but i gotta air down to do the dunes, so im more worried bout losing a bead. i run a 12.5 in tire on a 8 in rim so it shouldnt be too bad even without beadlocks. hopefully its insurance ill never need. and i didnt want to cheese off the powers that be about my spare tire size. cool see yall at silver lake.