PDA

View Full Version : Two Track TRIP White Cloud-Baldwin

Gander Lander
March 7th, 2006, 06:03 PM
Good Day Everyone
Im new to this site and I must say Im sorry if I did not post this topic in the proper section.
A group of us are traveling to your Great State the first week end of May for our first Wheelin trip of the year.
We are lodging betwwen baldwin and white cloud.
I was wandering if any of you could help us out as to your best trails in that area.
We are not a bunch of kids and you have our word that we will not leave anything trashed. We will leave it better than we found it.
We are looking for trails with lots of Challenge that we can test our navigatores (RET. Jar Heads) and flat out get lost.
Looking for trails as far away from Bike and Quad traffic as posible. No disrespect intended.
There will be 15 of us, all Jeep TJs and YJs.
Thank you in advance for any help you may have.

Shoot Straight And Remember To Take A kid Hunting !

joe_jeep
March 7th, 2006, 06:37 PM
you will be about 60 miles from silver lake sand dunes, that is pretty cool. lots of big hills, deep sand, and some tight twisty trails. u could drive to mt. morris (the mounds) lots of deep mud, decent trails. bout 150 miles though.
im sure others will come up with other stuff. u could take a day and go to drummond island. long drive but the best wheelin in michigan by far. good luck have fun.

Jeeperz-Creeperz
March 7th, 2006, 10:03 PM
There are some trails around the Baldwin area, but I don't think they're very challenging (but it's a good trail ride). There's a couple of side trails off the Tin Cup trail with some good mud holes (GOOD mud holes) if you're up for that.

About 30 miles to the East is the little town of Evart. There are some trails there and even an ORV "park" north of the Airport (I believe it's off 100th street or in that area). We've even found some good logging trails in the area.

Check out this site for some info on Baldwin/White Cloud trails: The Huron-Manistee National Forests (http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/hmnf/pages/motorized_manistee.htm)

Here are some maps for Baldwin/Evart:
[attachmentid=216]
[attachmentid=217]
(Right Click, Save As...)

In certain areas you will need an ORV sticker (Bull Gap, Silver Lake Sand Dunes). For the most part you will not, but you may get a hard time from a DNR officer if they stop you.

Hope this helps and enjoy yourselves!

Gander Lander
March 7th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Thanks guys,
Joe jeep, Ya we do silver lake twice a year and love it.We are all from Northern IN. And would like to do a Drummond Island thing this Fall.
This trip we are just looking for some nasty logging trails or two tracks to run.
I will check out thoughs sites Jeeperz And thanks again!

Jarhead
March 8th, 2006, 06:21 AM
The Mud, Sweat & Gears Club is planning a Drummond Island Event for the weekend of August 26th. http://www.msg4x4club.com/

I am also a Retired Jarhead, Semper Fi.

joe_jeep
March 8th, 2006, 08:09 AM
yes the drommond island trip put on by msg is awesome!!! ive been 4 times and i will not miss it ever. those guys put on a first class event!! great awards banquet and dinner party last night of weekend. some of the nicest people u will ever meet. last year was a little smaller than some years b4 im sure you could get in. also drummond island has a new off road park on the island called turtle ridge, its very cool. great tight twisty trails and lots of rocks to climb, supposed to be a very muddy side to the park but i never made it over that way. also if your into mud and "BIG" trucks the mounds is nice to go to also. its a little small, but mudholes that will swallow a chevy with 16 inches of lift and 44's r common. some nice trails in there for the jeep guys too, and all the big mudholes have bypasses so u aint gotta bring an outboard to strap on the tailgate to get to shore. have fun in michigan!! :thumb-up:

Creative Fab
March 8th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Also keep in mind that if a two wheel drive car cannot traverse the trail you can't legally either (unless posted open, ORV route). This is the basis for the "acting in an erosive manner" ticket. And the two wheel drive aspect is subject to the opinion of the officer!

If the officer is a "city slicker" and thinks a two wheel drive car cannot even stray from the tar top than you really have problems.

Just thought I would throw this out there, sorry for being a downer :(

WhiteRhino
March 8th, 2006, 09:41 AM
And if you are looking for something tougher this fall, we will once again have our annual Gitchee Gumee in Canada north of Sault St Marie. This run will offer runs from stock to minimum 35" tires, dual locked and winch. Keep an eye on the site for more info to come.

Jim

Gander Lander
March 8th, 2006, 10:26 PM
All of your help and opinions are well taken. The erosive ticket is somthing we had not heard of before. That does concern me.
Not that we intend to rut the heck out of any trails though.
We have also been told of a JEEP BLESSING during our week end, do any of you recomend this?

Thanks Again

Creative Fab
March 8th, 2006, 10:40 PM
The Jeep blessing is a good event for sure, I dont know if they are doing trail rides this year or not. They have in the past, as well as some events on private land.

If you send me your e-mail address I can mail you the flyer for this year, the Cadilac Jeepers sent it to me.

ironmanoffroad@charter.net

And on the 2 wheel drive topic I have seen people get tickets for driving through a hard bottomed mud puddle on a two track and get the ticket. $125.00 fine, and most of the time the ticket goes uncontested due the "perp" having to take a day off work and drive back up north to fight it. On the other hand I know of a couple of cases where the "perp" did take the day off work and went to court and beat the ticket!

Roadhouse
March 9th, 2006, 02:27 AM
They are funning trailrides this year. I belive Friday night Sat afternoon, Sat night and Sunday morn. Sandy Jeep Korners is leading the rides this year. If I remember is $15 per vehicle per trailride.....advance registration only.

Gander Lander
March 9th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Ya, I found Cadillacs Web page and they are planning trail rides mabe we can even hook up with some of the locals that could show us around.
Its a long road home for us so we dont need anything Crazy Sick just looking for soming fun.

Thanks