PDA

View Full Version : 2015 ORV Trail Maintenance Workshops announced

phittie1100
February 23rd, 2015, 01:46 PM
Please see attached

landj
February 27th, 2015, 12:16 PM
I'm going. Will they talk about Pin Ball Alley and Look Out Hill ?

phittie1100
February 27th, 2015, 01:22 PM
No - this meeting is to go over any changes in the trail maintenance grant process, paperwork, weaknesses in trail maintenance from last years inspections, etc.

But - DNR staff will be there, and at least one (if not all 3) trail techs will be there. This would be a good opportunity to have a chat with Paige or Amy before or after the meeting. Specifically on Pinball Alley, the approval was contingent on us getting a grant (they specified from Tread Lightly, but not sure where they got that from?) and re-mediating the wet spot(s) on Meridian Rd from the MSA south to the freeway, plus the wet spot on the trail itself. Last fall Amy and I discussed her getting a professional contractor to bid the job out - partly so we could review the bid to help with our own proposal and partly because she thought she might have some Special Maintenance grant money to use. I have asked a couple of times for a progress report, but have not received one. My concern (and I think all of us share it) is that if they hire a contractor there will be a road graded and paved by a D-5 over to the wet spots along with a 12' wide path of destruction.

TWEAK
March 3rd, 2015, 09:03 PM
I think that we have a conflict on the dates so I won't be able to make it, but will pass it along to the club.

Jarhead
March 4th, 2015, 08:00 AM
Who is planning to attend???

hemrides
March 6th, 2015, 09:50 AM
I put it on my calendar...

landj
March 9th, 2015, 06:57 PM
Not able to go due to work.

phittie1100
March 9th, 2015, 06:59 PM
I am in the same boat, Jeff - when it was a weekday evening in Lansing I could do it, but no chance with their recent day/time/location choices.

Jarhead
March 13th, 2015, 11:07 AM
I had hoped to work my schedule around to attend this workshop (as it has been a couple of years since I attended one) to hear what their thoughts are as to changing out the confidence markers with the carsonite markers. It is my understanding the Trail Sponsors are entitled to additional monies for the installation and need to work with their Trail Tech to submit the grant request.

phittie1100
March 13th, 2015, 02:56 PM
Are they available to start installing Bob? Have not seen anything from the DNR yet one way or the other

Jarhead
March 13th, 2015, 03:06 PM
Are they available to start installing Bob? Have not seen anything from the DNR yet one way or the other

In a word yes. The DNR has ordered a first batch (no clue what quantity that consists of) and will have them available at the various Maitenance Locations throughout the State. They hope to do the ORV Routes first as they feel it is a bit easier from the standpoint of getting the necessary equipment on location. When it was pointed out that the Trail Sponsors would need to work with the various County Road Commissions when installing Carsonite Markers on the roadside it became readily apparent they hadn't considered the dilemma, which is why I am curious what will be said at the Workshop.

phittie1100
March 13th, 2015, 03:31 PM
My involvement in the ORV program started well after the last run of Carsonite markers - is there a tool to install them?

Sent from my electronic tether

Jarhead
March 13th, 2015, 04:02 PM
My involvement in the ORV program started well after the last run of Carsonite markers - is there a tool to install them?

Sent from my electronic tether

Yes, there is tool to install and there are tools to remove Steel Posts if used; otherwise we simply need to remove confidence markers from trees.

signman
March 15th, 2015, 03:39 PM
A good meeting for the most part. Wished we would have had more full size people there. DI guys came down and T-Way was there with us. Some discussion on the markers, there are 2 different types, some to mount on existing poles and stand alone carsonite. There will be 2 free riding weekends, 1 in June and 1 in Aug. There is lots going on with ORV connectors in the UP and Lower as this high on the Gov.'s list. Some M Rds. are open in the UP and some in the lower are being looked at with MDOT. I again made it clear that connectors are great, but if there is no challenge opportunity in the mix it gets to be the bar to bar mentality.

TWEAK
March 16th, 2015, 09:58 AM
A good meeting for the most part. Wished we would have had more full size people there. DI guys came down and T-Way was there with us. Some discussion on the markers, there are 2 different types, some to mount on existing poles and stand alone carsonite. There will be 2 free riding weekends, 1 in June and 1 in Aug. There is lots going on with ORV connectors in the UP and Lower as this high on the Gov.'s list. Some M Rds. are open in the UP and some in the lower are being looked at with MDOT. I again made it clear that connectors are great, but if there is no challenge opportunity in the mix it gets to be the bar to bar mentality.

Is there a mandate to replace the confidence markers with the carsonite, or what is the guidance on putting them in place?

signman
March 16th, 2015, 01:27 PM
Not right now, I'm working on a new connector route at Leota and I'm Shure I will use the new markers there. Paige said they had the post mount type but they were short of the carsonite posts for the stand alone. Harrison has a driver that I have used before, I will see if I can get it for Pat K or someone to look at to build a couple. They are very simple, no different than a t-post driver only narrow and flat.