PDA

View Full Version : State Trails Legislative Day

Jarhead
January 28th, 2015, 06:42 PM
Save the Date: April 28, 2015 8 AM to 3 PM

I do not have a whole lot of details as yet, but one day has been set aside for all users to come together in support of their desires to be brought before Our Legislative body. (Using one day of your vacation could potentially have a lifelong impact on our trail system.)

As I receive details, I will update this thread.

phittie1100
January 29th, 2015, 01:30 PM
In

Creative Fab
January 29th, 2015, 03:43 PM
:thumb:

signman
March 17th, 2015, 10:36 PM
http://www.michigantrails.org/events/michigan-trails-legislative-day-2015#overlay-context=.
Here is the link

Jarhead
March 18th, 2015, 06:37 AM
Michigan Trails Legislative Day - Tuesday, April 28th

Michiganís policymakers are frequently unaware of the scenic quality and/or sheer number of trails that Michigan has to offer, and the tremendous benefits they bring to the health and economy of our state. As advocates we are continually trying to improve and grow Michiganís trail systems, but we need to keep our stateís decisionmakers abreast of what we now have and our vision and needs for the future. That is why we are inviting trail users and advocates from all types of trails to attend Michigan Trails Legislative Day on Tuesday, April 28th at the State Capitol from 8:30 to 3 p.m. We will share the good news and needs of Michigan trails with legislators and staff, unite and network with the entire Michigan trails community, and learn the latest in trail policy issues and developments.

The morningís activities will consist of a brief introduction followed by participantís pre-scheduled appointments with state representatives. A luncheon at noon will feature officials from the Michigan Department of Natural Resources to update us on statewide trail happenings. Meetings with state senators will happen in the afternoon until 3 p.m. The event requires a $12 registration fee by April 3, 2015. Register online at https://fs20.formsite.com/barrymichigantrailsorg/form5/index.html

We need this on our FaceBook Page as well.

Ms.ZJ
March 18th, 2015, 07:17 AM
Posted to our Facebook. 👍

Jarhead
March 18th, 2015, 02:01 PM
Posted to our Facebook. 👍
Thank You!

Ms.ZJ
March 18th, 2015, 04:50 PM
[emoji2]
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/18/955c4cdea9cff7428007b434252e1d53.jpg

Jarhead
April 1st, 2015, 08:51 AM
The DEADLINE to Register for Michigan Trails Legislative Day that will be held Tuesday, April 28th is Tomorrow Friday, April 3rd.

Please go to https://fs20.formsite.com/barrymichigantrailsorg/form5/index.html to register online.

The event requires a $12 registration fee by April 3, 2015.

phittie1100
April 1st, 2015, 06:22 PM
Done!

Jarhead
April 2nd, 2015, 06:33 AM
Done!
Cool, I am looking forward to see what this day provides.

Jarhead
April 2nd, 2015, 06:34 AM
TODAY! is the DEADLINE to Register for Michigan Trails Legislative Day that will be held Tuesday, April 28th.

Please go to https://fs20.formsite.com/barrymichi...rm5/index.html to register online.

The event requires a $12 Registration fee by April 3, 2015.

phittie1100
April 27th, 2015, 03:29 PM
I received my information packet and was trying to map out my meetings for tomorrow and realized I did not recognize a single name on the participant list. Anyone attending whose name I am not recognizing? Jarhead had a family matter come up, I was hoping to find a fellow 4x4 user to take to lunch tomorrow

:(

phittie1100
April 28th, 2015, 05:04 PM
OK, I never thought I would find myself in this position...man was I grateful for MSA, CCC and AMA guys to hang out with for the day today. If there was anyone in the group today representing the interests of ATV, SxS or 4x4 users they did a good job hiding from me. The non-motorized users in this particular group outnumbered the motorized representatives 2:1 or 3:1. They are pushing for MI Natural Resources Trust Fund (MNRTF) revenues to pay for their trails - you know, the ones we pay user fees to maintain. They are pushing for multiple use trails to expand their trail networks using already existing systems like ORV and snowmobile trails. And before you say multiple users on snowmobile trails in winter time should not be an issue, the MSA guys are very concerned about the presence of fat tire bicycles or snow shoe enthusiasts on their trail system.

Much of the concern today focused on the outcome of Proposal 1 - many people in Lansing seem to think it will not be approved by the voters next week. If\when Prop1 fails, legislators may turn an eye towards the MNRTF, currently protected by the state constitution but a big target if anyone is looking at trying to find another option to fund our road problems.

Each of my groups had at least one participant from the elected official's district, 2 of my four visits were with my state rep and state senator (Smiley and Ananich, respectively). If you have never participated in an event like this, that makes it easier when you are playing to "the home team". Unfortunately being from the Flint area means both of my guys are Democrats, and they do not have a lot of control or power under the current state power split. It was interesting to note that although the intent was to inform legislators about the value of the MI trail system either because they were freshmen or were thought to be in need of a refresher visit, there were also some veterans we have worked with in the past that were on the visitation list.

The other thing interesting to note was how many of the participants had already celebrated their 39th birthday...in many cases 30 or 40 times over. One young gal from one of the horse groups was probably under 30, but I definitely felt like the kid in the room most of the time. Like the group of concerned homeowners/citizens we encountered in Oxford Township, these were mainly retired enthusiasts - the kind with time to spend, money to spend, and motivation. Something to keep in mind.