PDA

View Full Version : Which to do first?

lgottler
August 17th, 2004, 09:24 PM
OK, I've got this list of stuff that I "need" to get done before winter.

Now, I would like to get most of it done before GG in Oct., but for now my what to do first question is for Labor Day Weekend in Canada.

1) Flip tie rod on top of steering arms. Bent tie rod already (1.75" OD x .375" wall) and I'd like to not do that anymore. Requires me to machine tapered inserts, drill out arms, weld 'em in, redo some if not all of the drag link attachment part of it.

2) Trim more rear fender off. I already cut some tread with my half arsed attempt at fender trimming on the Hi-Lo at work. I forgot to take into account that the bump stops compress when you hit max flex while driving. So, I was going to cut straight back to the rear...but I need to keep some kinda fender flare on there...

3) OBA. I took off my old bumper/swing away and now I'm without a tank. I have this Oxygen tank (empty) that I was going to build a mount for under the truck and plumb the line there for now.

4) Plug holes in drums for emergency brake line I don't have. Rocks get in there and make HORRIBLE noises. Have to remove the drum to clean them out. Search out some rubber plugs that would fit the hole.

5) Line lock. I ain't got an emergency brake anymore, I need to do this before GG for sure. Find the lock, figure out the brake lines and where I want it....next to the seat...and do it.

6) Rear DS binds too quickly. I built a limiting cable now for it, but I was going to grind a little metal away from the CV area to get maybe another 1" or so travel. Then I was going to get a nylon strap limiting strap instead of the 3/8" dia. cable.

All I can think of for now. There's more I know, but I can't remember it.

I was thinking that I should plug the holes in the brakes, and get my OBA hooked back up.

If I have time I'd like to do my steering next...

?

Lucas

Vader5
August 18th, 2004, 11:58 AM
Since you are driving the Jeep there and (hopefully) back, I would do #1 and #4 first since they dirrectly effect the driveabilty of your Jeep. While OBA is nice, you should be able to air up at camp or use your compressor to fill a separate tank so I'd do that last.

My 2?. ;)

WhiteRhino
August 18th, 2004, 06:29 PM
The tie rod is certainly important.
I think the second priority is to eliminate the driveshaft bind. You can drive with squeeky brakes or even pull the drum to clean if necessary. But....... you can always predict that a driveshaft will go at the least desirable time. And, since you need to drive 6-7 hours home, you don't want to have to replace a u-joint on the side of the E-way.
I would plug the brakes next.
The line lock is simple and an in line mechanical line lock can be ordered from Appletree for $30 or so.
In my book, OBA is last unless you plan to run super low tire pressure.
Have fun!
Jim

lgottler
August 19th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Yeah, I could wheel it tomorrow, not that anything on my list makes my Jeep inoperable....

I did decide to do my tie rod first. I'm not going to worry about the fender trimming for a while (I used a big hammer to clearance the steel a bit more anyways).

I machined the bushings yesterday and tonight I test fit them and I think everything should work. We'll see. I just worry about hitting certain things when I turn....but thats why they make torches.

Only reason why I'd like to get the OBA working is because I have bad luck with bead leaks. I've got these stupid hummer rims waiting for one more center so I can weld it in. I ordered the dumb things in April and I am still waiting on one more center.....its August now....NEVER ORDER FROM USA6x6!!! Even if they "guarantee I'll get everything in 2 weeks". But my spare tire is a nearly bald Goodyear MT, so if I bust a bead, I'd rather reseat it than have to put the spare on!

Looking at the time I have, I think the major stuff should get done. I have a full plate this weekend and coming week. Friends, wife's, brother died in a car accident 2 days ago, have to do funeral stuff. Then I am stuck with my niece and nephew for the entire weekend!

Lucas

lgottler
August 19th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Oh, the DS doesn't bind cuz I put a limiting cable there. I just wanted to get more drop out of the rear end thats all. Plus I'd rather do a nylon strap instead of the cable I'm using now.....just cuz I think the strap could "cycle" more than the cable can after 2-3 years of driving!!

Lucas

lgottler
August 21st, 2004, 09:29 PM
That tie rod flip is done.

I copied the one spacers I got from Go-Fer-It offroad for my stock steering setup. That spacer said to weld 3 places on the top to keep it in place. Now my only concern is that when I go to tap out a tie rod, that the spacer will come with it!! Its a lot of force holding that sucker in, I hope the welds don't fail before the tapered stud comes out!!!

I had to torch some brackets out and cut my trackarm bolt a bit to make it fit. But my steering feels better cuz now my trackarm and draglink are much closer to being parallel.

Next on the list......

Lucas