PDA

View Full Version : Heat not very hot

alan6271
November 19th, 2014, 08:35 PM
I am new to the club but I'm hoping I can pick a few brains. Now that it's really cold out I've been trying to get heat out of my jeep and its lukewarm at best. This is on a 2000 Jeep TJ. Here's what I've done:

1. I've found that the air didn't blow on the floor at all. I found a vacuum line off one of the vacuum thingys that changed the direction of airflow. Now that works.
2. I flushed the heater core. What came out was not too dirty at all. Looked like antifreeze. I was able to blow through the large hose and could feel it come out of the small hose so there shouldn't be any obstructions.
3. I took the blend door actuator motor off tonight and it turns both ways. I tried to turn the blend door by grasping the white spacer/grommet that connects around the actuator and it turned extremely hard. I had to use vice grips to turn it. Should it turn this hard or was I trying to turn it by grabbing the wrong thing?

The temp gauge reads 210 so I don't think the thermostat is the problem.

I can turn the cool/heat dial and feel the temperature change from luke warm to cold. The little electric motor everyone talks about freezing up must we working if it changes the temperature.

Any suggestions as to where to go next?

I really appreciate the help.

WhiteRhino
November 19th, 2014, 08:45 PM
Sorry but I don't know anything about TJ's. Are both of your heater hoses hot?

alan6271
November 19th, 2014, 08:48 PM
Both hoses are pretty hot. Hotter now than before I flushed it.

lgottler
November 19th, 2014, 10:11 PM
I would guess at a stuck blend door. My xj did that last winter, but a sleep in the warm shop overnight fixed it. It banged when I tried it the next day and the heat started working again.

shawn
November 21st, 2014, 10:16 PM
Should move pretty free. Leave the actuator/motor off the blend door and turn it to full heat. Is the air hot?

alan6271
November 24th, 2014, 09:36 AM
Hey Shawn,
See I think that's the problem. I have to use vice grips to turn it and then have to reef on it and it barely turns. That's with the motor off.