PDA

View Full Version : Dixie Gully Run II

Jarhead
October 7th, 2014, 08:18 PM
GLFWDA has worked for over thirty years trying to establish an off-road scramble area in southeast Michigan.

A trial event was held with limited registrations to gauge interest. Due to the overwhelming response, a second trial event has been established.

The Event is Scheduled for November 1st and 2nd and is located at 14300 Shields Road, Holly (North of Groveland Oaks County Park)

Dixie Gully Run is a 35-acre demonstration course testing the potential operation of an o-road vehicle site by Oakland County Parks and Recreation in collaboration with the Michigan Department of Natural Resources.

FOLKS! We Need Your Help in Registering and Attending This Event!
This is the best shot we are going to have and if we cannot fill every available slot to demonstrate the need, a lot of hard work, effort, time lost, and monies spent will be nothing.

PLEASE go to the following link and get registered and make plans to be there (I also tried to attach the PDF):

http://www.destinationoakland.com/Documents/Gully_Run_II_Flyer-Registration_Forms.pdf

WhiteRhino
October 7th, 2014, 08:51 PM
:thumb:

shawn
October 7th, 2014, 11:24 PM
Thanks! I'll be there!

Jarhead
October 23rd, 2014, 06:22 PM
GLFWDA has worked for over thirty years trying to establish an off-road scramble area in southeast Michigan.

A trial event was held with limited registrations to gauge interest. Due to the overwhelming response, a second trial event has been established.

The Event is Scheduled for November 1st and 2nd and is located at 14300 Shields Road, Holly (North of Groveland Oaks County Park)

Dixie Gully Run is a 35-acre demonstration course testing the potential operation of an o-road vehicle site by Oakland County Parks and Recreation in collaboration with the Michigan Department of Natural Resources.

FOLKS! We Need Your Help in Registering and Attending This Event!
This is the best shot we are going to have and if we cannot fill every available slot to demonstrate the need, a lot of hard work, effort, time lost, and monies spent will be nothing.

PLEASE go to the following link and get registered and make plans to be there (I also tried to attach the PDF):

http://www.destinationoakland.com/Documents/Gully_Run_II_Flyer-Registration_Forms.pdf

I am in need of a confessional booth as I simply do not understand why it is necessary to beg people to come to an Event that has so much potential to give us an area to play right in our own backyard for those of us in Southeast Michigan.

lgottler
October 23rd, 2014, 07:17 PM
I'll be there volunteering, or as a participant (if they can't figure out where my registration is).

Petsan
October 23rd, 2014, 07:50 PM
Has the deadline for registering been extended?

WhiteRhino
October 23rd, 2014, 08:44 PM
yes due to low response.

Bob,
I have to admit I have quit posting about this stuff here on GLFWDA.org. I find it to be a waste of time. Shoot........ our board members don't even post here.

Lucas,
I will do a follow up on your registration.

fsumotorhead
October 24th, 2014, 07:37 AM
I hope I can make it, but after the GG trip to Canada and about a month's worth of traveling for work since, I don't really want to burden my wife with having to watch all three kids again when I'm not home.

fishyOO7
October 24th, 2014, 03:23 PM
I'll be there helping out on Saturday.

hemrides
October 24th, 2014, 10:32 PM
I hope I can make it, but after the GG trip to Canada and about a month's worth of traveling for work since, I don't really want to burden my wife with having to watch all three kids again when I'm not home.

You are a good man! :thumb:

acme1271
October 28th, 2014, 02:22 AM
Bring them with you! This is a family event and would help show the Parks n Rec folks that this IS a family activity.

WhiteRhino
October 28th, 2014, 06:17 AM
If you do not have a vehicle and want to participate/show support, you can park across the road at the campground and get shuttled in as a spectator for $5.

fsumotorhead
October 28th, 2014, 09:43 AM
Bring them with you! This is a family event and would help show the Parks n Rec folks that this IS a family activity.

I thought about it, but me managing a 3yo,2yo, 6mo by myself at an event with vehicles all over, and unpredictable weather...

I'm out :(

hemrides
October 28th, 2014, 07:58 PM
I'm surprised that there is low response to register. In this area of the state, and as busy as the Mounds can be...is the $20 fee pushing people away? Has Oakland County given any details as to the daily fees once the park opens? I wonder if it will be more or the same as the Mounds?

Dave

NightKrawler
October 31st, 2014, 08:08 AM
I don't think it's really a low response as its that it didn't fill up like we all hoped. I've heard there's around 280 registered?
Being late in the wheeling season is a factor too...kids in school with sports etc... Fair weather wheelers too. But if someone complains about $20 then they just ought to sell their wheels, sit back and watch tv, eat potato chips and get fat.

WhiteRhino
October 31st, 2014, 08:22 AM
:thumb:

fsumotorhead
October 31st, 2014, 09:37 AM
I hope everyone has fun tomorrow and Sunday!!!

Post lots of pics after

lgottler
November 2nd, 2014, 09:28 AM
Had a great time! I didn't talk to anyone that wasn't having fun, officials and participants alike. A little cold, but you can't plan the weather.

And the people selling the BBQ.... I would have paid double it was sooo good!

hemrides
November 2nd, 2014, 05:28 PM
So when will this park become official?

WhiteRhino
November 2nd, 2014, 07:45 PM
The current test site will now go dormant for over a year while all the grants/ acquisitions, contracts, leases, etc get worked out.

I can't thank everyone enough for all the support and good attitudes. :)

shawn
November 2nd, 2014, 08:10 PM
Was great yesterday, hope today went just as good.

phittie1100
November 3rd, 2014, 10:52 AM
Sunday was just as good, and the weather was perfect!

Thanks again for fixing my heat Saturday :thumb:

NightKrawler
November 4th, 2014, 02:08 AM
Had a great time. Enjoyed both days.

Someone enjoying a "tour" of the park http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/03/eee264b71817611bc8d738904a540836.jpg

A reminder to send a video message to the Parks Commission

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/03/f1bec1f07d37221ce497b1287d229e7b.jpg

alan6271
December 2nd, 2014, 04:29 PM
Hi everyone,
I hope this isn't redundant but I haven't seen this on any of the forums. I found this really nice You Tube video Oakland County put together to promote the park:

If it's already posted someplace forgive me. I figure it's better to post and post again then to never have posted at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTE9UX3W034

WhiteRhino
December 3rd, 2014, 06:02 AM
Thanks for posting. The vote for the funding is today.

alan6271
December 3rd, 2014, 08:45 AM

Oh Man. Let's say a prayer and keep out fingers crossed.

hemrides
December 3rd, 2014, 05:41 PM

Jim,

Will you be at the meeting??

Dave

Creative Fab
December 3rd, 2014, 06:24 PM
The funding has been approved!

Ms.ZJ
December 4th, 2014, 04:37 PM
AWESOME!!!!!!!

alan6271
December 4th, 2014, 05:15 PM
The funding has been approved!

Oh Man. That's so FREAKING AWESOME.:ahhh:

So, now what's the next hurdle and how can I/we help?

WhiteRhino
December 4th, 2014, 10:03 PM
Several next steps.

Although the funding is approved, it does not mean the state is going to purchase the land. The land has to be appraised and purchase agreements need to be drafted. This is expected to take till late summer.

A Landscape architectural firm needs to be retained and develop a master plan. After that, the development plan, timeline, expenses, etc will be developed.

Since the state will own the land and the county will operate the park, a lease/ operating agreement needs to be drafted. This also is expected to take till late summer.

With luck, the bulk of the issues will be resolved by fall of next year. Assuming the land gets purchased, then they can start on fencing, sineage, site development can start.

The hope is to open the first phase to offroad use in the spring of 2016.:woot:

As far as what anyone can do, we have transitioned from a bunch of volunteers (all of us) to them working on a business model where they have to hire out the work to an engineering firm. Where it goes in specifics, I don't know.

lgottler
December 5th, 2014, 07:15 AM
Great news!

alan6271
December 5th, 2014, 11:52 AM
Great news indeed. Thank you for all you've done to move this through. I know I'm new but I want to do my part in helping.