PDA

View Full Version : St. Helen Being Clear Cut

jsawduste
April 16th, 2014, 07:29 PM
For those whom care.

The DNR has authorized a sizable portion of the forest from M55/F97 area (Charleston Heston Academy/corner of F97) to the Scramble area parking lot off Airport Road by the RR tracks to be clear cut. Plus another 20 acres towards I75. Operations have already begun and is planned to continue through the summer. It has not been made clear whether there will be any replanting done.

So for those of us that peruse that area you can be happy to know how your 36.25 is being spent. Tongue in cheek comment but this issue really is a slap in the face when we being made to pay increased user fee`s in the name of conservation, creation and the big one, enforcement. All the while the logging companies do more damage then the lot of us could ever do.

Yes I am pissed.

landj
April 16th, 2014, 08:23 PM
I watched them cutting trees as small as a 1 1\2" . I mean come on, what the heck are they going to use them for? The ruts are huge from the Tractor Trailers. It looks like a Tornado touched down. I'm not a tree hugger but dam they could have left a few in case I change my mind. The state see's $$$ so it happens.

WhiteRhino
April 16th, 2014, 08:58 PM
Logging in the MSA is part of the master plan.
I don't like it but it's not a surprise.

jsawduste
April 16th, 2014, 09:30 PM
Logging in the MSA is part of the master plan.
I don't like it but it's not a surprise.

Jim,
by chance do you have any search recommendations for what the MSA charter is ? Perhaps "charter" is the wrong terminology but in any case I would very much like to understand what the master plan is for both the present and future.

WhiteRhino
April 17th, 2014, 05:33 AM
No, I just know that this was discussed several years ago when they did some cutting. When I questioned it, I was told that it was part of the master plan. I never took it any further.
In the scope of things, there are very few trails through the MSA, so "some" logging can be a good thing by opening up some areas. The more I have poked around up there, the more I have found. But, in many cases, the trees are too thick to get through.

hemrides
April 17th, 2014, 02:05 PM
I hope they do a better job at cleaning the trails then was done a year back on Drummond...I was told by folks from Michigan Wheelers it was a mess. They had a large post on their site about this.

landj
April 17th, 2014, 07:15 PM
As of right know there not cutting in the msa. I don't recall seeing any markings in the msa, I could be wrong though.

WhiteRhino
April 18th, 2014, 06:32 AM
My mistake. I thought it was in the MSA. Either way, logging is part of Michigan's heritage so I don't understand why it is a surprise.

landj
April 18th, 2014, 07:55 AM
I'm glad I don't live close enough to hear them start at 6am!

timbercruiser
May 1st, 2014, 08:52 PM
Yes, clearcuts look horrible. But, in a few years, that area will be filled with young trees growing from the roots of the cut trees. it will be a boon for deer and grouse (and the hunters of said critters).

lgottler
May 1st, 2014, 09:36 PM
I wish they left a buffer between trails and roads. It makes me sad riding through an area like that, good or not, needed or not.

timbercruiser
May 3rd, 2014, 06:59 PM
I do what I can when I'm working near a trail/route to leave more trees.