PDA

View Full Version : So what are you guys working on?

yj_hank
December 5th, 2013, 10:17 PM
I just came in from my garage from working on a hard top for my bronco. I picked up a nice rust free bronco that just needs a little TLC and a coat of paint. I am not going to spend to much time on it but want it to look decent when its done. I was wondering what others are working on right now. Is anyone restoring an old 4x4 or installing a lift on their rig? So post up some pics of what your working on or give a report of what is going on in your garage.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s129/yj_hank/7-8-2013/IMG_1716_zps6f0c91c4.jpg~original

Here is my bronco in its summer cloths. I will post a pic when I get the hard top done.

Henry

WhiteRhino
December 6th, 2013, 07:05 AM
Very nice Henry. That's about the perfect stance for an early Bronco.

I did a full body off resto on my jeep this summer including new PRP seats, a super clean tub (sand blasted to bare metal) and new fenders. Finished it up just in time for Gitchee Gumee. Since it was getting a new paint job, the wife picked the color.

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc361/kdsrgon/done4_zpse5f694e0.jpg (http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/kdsrgon/media/done4_zpse5f694e0.jpg.html)

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc361/kdsrgon/trailer_zps375664f1.jpg (http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/kdsrgon/media/trailer_zps375664f1.jpg.html)

fsumotorhead
December 6th, 2013, 08:12 AM
Well I'm in the process of parting this out.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb226/fsumotorhead/ry487_zpsd6bae828.jpg

My Explorer wasn't pretty, but for the last five years has truly taken a beating and done nothing but come back for more. But wheeling it like it's on 40s takes its toll, everything on the bottom is smashed to s**t, At Gitche Gumee what has always proved to be a reliable ride turned less reliable. The clutch slave cylinder failed halfway through the last day, If you thought wheeling a manual trans is hard, you should try doing it with out being able to release the clutch!!!

And who can for get the not once but two times the whell fell off!

Oh and also, the night I got home from GG, the torsion bar let go in the garage.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb226/fsumotorhead/IMG_6810_zpsce12001d.jpg

Currently I'm trying to talk my younger brother into selling me this:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb226/fsumotorhead/Bronco_zps944f7d4f.jpg

It's a '94 OJ special. Somehow he's got some crazy sentimental attachment to it, though in the 6 years he's owned it, it's spent 5 years in storage and 6 months at my house for axle swaps and upgrades. The fenders and tailgate are rusty, but that appears to be about it.

Still wondering if a move to a full size is a good choice or not, as I want to make sure I'll be able to do stuff like GG again! But I also want something that looks a bit more presentable in public (if you know what I mean).

phittie1100
December 6th, 2013, 09:56 AM
No pictures, but starting to gather some unexciting R&R parts for mine - ball joints, just found a tailgate this week, and apparently my fuel pump is showing signs of failure. Wheeling a daily driven Jeep that sees 10-15 weekends off the pavement each year in addition to 16-18,000 miles creates a fairly regular stream of boring maintenance projects. Plus with 9 salty years behind her, the old gal is starting to show some rust - not only places where I have gently massaged the sheet metal, but also some nefarious Jeep rusty spots, like the tops of both fenders.

Petsan
December 6th, 2013, 11:44 PM
Nice Bronco Henry and I love the new invisible wire rope!

Good luck on getting OJ's Bronco and getting it ready for Snofari!

timmy_69
December 8th, 2013, 09:21 PM
Building an AR15.

DieselMTU
December 9th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Too many projects.....

I have all three main vehicles getting worked on in some fashion right now, and more plans in the spring... Not to mention the honey do list, that is keeping me from making all the progress I want on the car and trucks

yj_hank
December 9th, 2013, 10:06 PM
Very nice Henry. That's about the perfect stance for an early Bronco.

I did a full body off resto on my jeep this summer including new PRP seats, a super clean tub (sand blasted to bare metal) and new fenders. Finished it up just in time for Gitchee Gumee. Since it was getting a new paint job, the wife picked the color.

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc361/kdsrgon/done4_zpse5f694e0.jpg (http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/kdsrgon/media/done4_zpse5f694e0.jpg.html)

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc361/kdsrgon/trailer_zps375664f1.jpg (http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/kdsrgon/media/trailer_zps375664f1.jpg.html)

Jim I have always loved your Jeep. You did a great job on the upgrades. I am glad you are still rocking the YJ with the square headlamps. I don't know why but I love the look of that front end even though it's not popular with a lot of other jeep guys. You have a very capable rig with plenty of go power. Have a great Christmas and hope all is well with you. Also sorry for your recent loss in your family.

Henry

yj_hank
December 9th, 2013, 10:12 PM
Nice Bronco Henry and I love the new invisible wire rope!

Good luck on getting OJ's Bronco and getting it ready for Snofari!

Very funny Pete.:lmao: It is now all set up with Warn Spydra line to get me (or you) out of the tough spots.

Henry

Ironman Offroad
December 10th, 2013, 09:09 PM
Engine and transmission swap for the XJ.
Significantly massaged 4.7 stroker and a fresh AW4.
Some new skids and link ends.
Hope to scrape the $ together for 42 MTR's and Rock Monsters.

Greenway
December 10th, 2013, 11:42 PM
Too cold to work on the Jeep. Just puttering in my basement workshop.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/Mad_scientist.gif

phittie1100
December 11th, 2013, 03:44 PM
I now have the opportunity for a new project....maybe.

The insurance company called - the dealership quit counting at $7k to repair my Jeep, they are guessing $8-9k total. Book value is about $10,900, salvage value $4,000 so they are done.

So here is my question to my GLFWDA friends - $6,900 check and I could tow the rest home. I probably could part it out and come out ahead. Old but generally well cared-for drive train, tub, soft top, 4 decent tires, blah blah.....

Or - assuming no significant frame damage, which is still up in the air - I could collect the $6,900, put a new front clip and bumper on it, and drive it with a salvage title and maybe have a few bucks left over. Too ambitious for an accountant?

WhiteRhino
December 11th, 2013, 04:54 PM
If you did the salvage title, would you still DD it? If so, I would probably start fresh. However, if you are thinking this is the opportunity to pick up a tow rig and have a dedicated trail rig, I would probably go for it. I haven't seen a pic but based on what you told me, I'm not sure the frame is an issue for a trail rig.
The biggest question is the condition of the front axle. If it's bent, a lot of your check will be spent on a new axle.

Ironman Offroad
December 11th, 2013, 08:41 PM
If you retain ownership, I do not believe it get's a salvage title.
I would be all over that thing for $4500.00 the way it sits.

phittie1100
December 12th, 2013, 12:57 AM
Headed to the dealership on the morning to talk to the body shop manager and read the estimate. I'll get some pictures too. If I bring out home, it will not be for a DD, we were already shopping for a car so we could limit Jeep to off road.

Sent from my electronic tether

WhiteRhino
December 12th, 2013, 07:15 AM
Edit; shopping for a truck to tow the jeep for off road.:thumb:
Seriously Paul, setting up a jeep for pure off road will result in you pushing it more, which means you may need to tow it home from time to time. Plus the more it's set up for off road, the less fun it is to drive "ON" the road getting there.

phittie1100
December 12th, 2013, 06:32 PM
Deb has a truck that will tow my next Jeep - I drive 15-18k per year and need to focus my next purchase on fuel economy.

I had pretty much decided before I got there today that even though it was a good opportunity, I was going to pass. Once I saw it, I knew that it was more than I could handle right now, and frankly those of you that have the patience to go a year without a 4x4 because the project went longer than expected are made of different stuff than me.

Made arrangements to keep it from going to the scrap yard - found someone with the tools, skills and garage space to get it fixed and back on the road. Got a lead on a couple of used LJ's, plan to be back on the trail in time for SnoFari.

WhiteRhino
December 12th, 2013, 11:14 PM
Glad you're not bailing. So, a new economy car and a dedicated trail rig? Excellent!

phittie1100
December 14th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Bailing? The best/worst thing that happened to me over the last 10 years was discovering the 4x4 world - good friends, good times, good blood shed in the garage and a lot of good cash spent.

But looking for something less than perfect for a trail rig. Deb suggested a new JKU Rubicon for DD/trail rig, but I am long past worrying about scratches, nicks and dings on the trail. In fact, it was funny to visit the body shop this week - they had little yellow tape markers everywhere there was something that needed to be fixed. About an even half dozen had nothing to do with my recent accident LOL.

WhiteRhino
December 14th, 2013, 01:00 PM
hahaha... that's funny. Knowing your current carreer efforts, I'm not suggesting you build a hardcore rig right now but I definitely subscribe to a dedicated trail rig that can get repairs while you are driving your Kia or Volt to work. A CJ/YJ with D44's & 35's is a nice rig. Or a TJ with a long arm kit on it.

I know a guy who is picking up a damaged LJ project that might sell it to you when he's finished.:wave:

Ironman Offroad
December 14th, 2013, 07:41 PM
You passed an pass from the wife for a RUBI! Are you nuts!

I know, Mr.Responsable.

Let me know if I can help with the search or qualification of candidates.

ReiKo
December 23rd, 2013, 05:33 PM
After shearing off the ears for the front axles on my Dana 44 at the Mounds and losing a taillight... It's been sitting and waiting for the 60/80 to go in it... Might also have to take it to the frame shop since the front is tweaked a little for the steering braces to go in...1160

And finishing the EXO on the rest of the truck along with taking a sledge hammer to the dents to push them back out... :idea:

phittie1100
December 24th, 2013, 08:07 AM
You passed an pass from the wife for a RUBI! Are you nuts!

I know, Mr.Responsable.

Let me know if I can help with the search or qualification of candidates.

I will be calling to schedule my post-purchase visit this week so we can make sure I will not be "that guy" at SnoFari.

Ironman Offroad
December 24th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Looking forward to meeting your new ride.

Fresh engine and trans. installed.
Making progress on the upgrades for the XJ.

Wheels ordered.
They will be here by 1/15/14.
Pricing MTR's.

WhiteRhino
December 24th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Paul, you still might be "that guy". LOL

Dale, have you fired er up yet and given it a little test run? New Hutchinson's for the money pit? What size tars? I suppose you still have that size complex and are going with 42's. :bootyshake:

lgottler
December 25th, 2013, 02:38 PM
Doing small stuff now, tuning shocks, putting together parts for a skid plate, engineering new doubler shifter, etc.... Starting (attempting) to go back to school and finish a degree, so I've been trying to remember math from 13 years ago, starting with basics of algebra and calculus, working up to where I left off. Get to start back to school in January, still working full time with 4 kids and wife is a stay at home mom.... crazy busy.

Petsan
December 26th, 2013, 12:39 AM
I thought I was busy!

oz97tj
December 26th, 2013, 12:34 PM
I NEED to get some things done to the jeep prior to SnoFari. Instead im now working on the house. Power was finally restored so now I have to fix the hole in my garage roof and clean up all the downed limbs in my yard.

Ironman Offroad
December 26th, 2013, 01:31 PM
Paul, you still might be "that guy". LOL

Dale, have you fired er up yet and given it a little test run? New Hutchinson's for the money pit? What size tars? I suppose you still have that size complex and are going with 42's. :bootyshake:

Lots to do before it runs.
New exhaust to fab.
Update skids.

Yup, Rock Monsters.
Yup, I have a size complex. 42's it will be.

yj_hank
December 27th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Lets see some pics of Paul's new ride! Glad everything worked out and he was able to get another Jeep. I have been working on that hard top for the Bronco. I am heading over to a friends house Saturday to make a rear tire carrier for the bumper.

Henry

Ironman Offroad
January 17th, 2014, 09:34 PM
Just about ready.
Tires and wheels on. I never realized how nice it could be to have round tires and straight wheels. I can drive it 60 mph no problem.
Transmission is good, going to see if we can make the shifts firmer.
Engine tuning is making steps forward.
May have to go one more size bigger with the injectors.
Nuts, bolts and fluid checks tomorrow.
And service those pos Ballistic joints in the rear links.

WhiteRhino
January 18th, 2014, 08:02 AM
Hahaha Dale, you're still going to go clunky clunky with those joints. So glad I replaced mine.
Today is a cleanup the jeep day, pack it up, put the top back on and pretend I am good to load up later in the week.

Ironman Offroad
January 19th, 2014, 08:34 PM
And what top is that?
The new "trail top" or the old "Trail top"?

WhiteRhino
January 19th, 2014, 09:58 PM
It's the better one of the two.:thumb:

phittie1100
January 20th, 2014, 02:52 PM
I got all of my radios "plumbed" yesterday but still need to tune my antennas. I am hoping with a new antenna cable and antenna mount (and of course, a different Jeep) will let me tune a 3' Firestick, the 4' RW&B one worked on the old Jeep but would clash horribly with the new orange Jeep.

Still need to swap out the thermostat, looks like it might be a bit chilly on Saturday morning, and heat that kinda-sorta works just ain't going to cut it.

Don't think I will have time to swap out the Engo winch for the old T-Maxx before Friday, so still dragging around a huge ugly dangerous steel cable. It's in decent shape, but once you have gone synthetic rope it's hard to go back to steel cable.

Renegade II
February 6th, 2014, 12:03 PM
250 / 500 4BT :D

Coyote Red
February 6th, 2014, 12:06 PM
Want ^

fsumotorhead
February 6th, 2014, 02:14 PM
250 / 500 4BT :D

Repowering the Hummer?

Renegade II
February 6th, 2014, 04:01 PM
Repowering the Hummer?

Nope.
:D

Xjgiles
February 15th, 2014, 08:43 PM
I currently have work to do on my cherokee wheeling rig I have the motor out if my dd I'm in the process of rebuilding a rolled over ranger and I'm also rebuilding a 98 tj that had a tree fall on the hood and fender. Cherokee is getting some custom clutch parts made at work after hours on the lathe and mill as well as some new bushings in the suspension and new bump stops. The dd is getting the motor rebuilt the ranger is waiting for some parts new body is on but chasing a electrical issue. The wrangler is getting a lift new front bumper and new fenders. And I'm also building a new trailer for my jeep.

Sent from my iPhone 5c

JerryD
February 16th, 2014, 05:21 PM
I got all of my radios "plumbed" yesterday but still need to tune my antennas...

Plural? What radios are you putting in Paul?

Oh, and in the spirit of this thread... I'm working on a ham sammich...

phittie1100
February 16th, 2014, 07:07 PM
Just a CB and 2m - tried to be a little more conscious of where my antenna leads were running this time, trying to avoid interference on CH11 when transmitting on the 2m. Seems to be working.

WhiteRhino
February 17th, 2014, 09:51 AM
I've gotten tired of problems with my fiberglass antennas so I just went to a 50" steel whip antenna. I don't know yet how it transmits but I'm picking up traffic while inside my garage that I never did before.

signman
February 20th, 2014, 03:17 PM
It is a little more money to run a NMO Mount, but is very easy to change things around once their in place. I ran one on my log truck (mirror mount) and it held up well with major daily abuse. This one looks good as it is a grounded antenna, less ground plane needed.
http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/maxrad-mlbdc2700-711.html
Ran these for the other guys in the fleet and they held up well, log trucks, skidders, and pickups.
http://www.wilsonantenna.com/products/sp/wilson-3-silver-load-fgt-series-fiberglass-whip-black/