PDA

View Full Version : Chain saw

DDS4X4
September 30th, 2013, 10:08 PM
Since I haven't been wheelin' for awhile and it will be some time yet until I get back at it, I might as well collect some additional toys, 'er trail equipment. I have only ever owned one handmedown chain saw back in the day when I had my IH Scout, yea, way back.

Looking for a medium size saw with carrying case that I can find room to pack it in the Jeep.
Dependable, easy start, high quality so I don't mind paying extra for a good brand.

Suggestions on Manufacturer, Model, bar size??

I am just starting my internet research. Should be done in time for Christmas.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Doug

phittie1100
September 30th, 2013, 11:19 PM
If I was buying one it would be just like the one Indy carries on the trail. Don't know make or model though

Sent from my electronic tether

WhiteRhino
October 1st, 2013, 05:07 AM
A big portion depends on available space in your rig. By brand, I prefer Stihl. Still one of the best saws and they refuse to drop their quality to be sold in the big box stores.
I've carried a 16" saw but now I carry this one. Light weight, small for space but does the job. I think only once have I seen where a bigger saw was really required and with that, I could have done the job if I had to by cutting the logs from both sides. I modified a little tool bag and it fits right into it. I'll try to post a pic.
http://www.stihldealer.net/productdetails-dealer-_crrraa-prodid-768.aspx?__utma=77907798.1326033847.1380617886.138 0617886.1380617886.1&__utmb=77907798.13.5.1380618008959&__utmc=77907798&__utmx=-&__utmz=77907798.1380617886.1.1.utmcsr=google|utmcc n=(organic)|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=(not%20provided)&__utmv=-&__utmk=255309774

I also have a larger Stihl that has the "easy2start" feature which is AWESOME but I never carry it on the trail because of its size.
http://www.stihldealer.net/productdetails-dealer-_crrraa-prodid-537-toplvl-2-catid-2-subcat-2-catprods-38.aspx

FYI, Indy carries a Stihl but I don't know which size.

hemrides
October 1st, 2013, 05:19 AM
I have a Stihl 16 inch blade, ms170. For around the house and cleanup it works great. Easy to start, etc. The carrying case is extra, does come with a blade guard. Light weight, can use it all day and not get tired. I purchased mine with the same thoughts that I might take it on the trails some day. Could strap this to my ATV as well if needed. I have been working on a fallen oak tree, trunk is 15 inches diameter, it has worked well...if I were cutting this size tree all the time I would move up to the next size saw...but for 95% of the stuff I cut this one is great.

Dave

fsumotorhead
October 1st, 2013, 06:57 AM
the professonal tree trimmer pruning saws from stihl are great, they're pretty small and pack a punch, not cheap though.

StingRay66
October 1st, 2013, 12:39 PM
I also have MS 170 Stihl and it works great and easy to handle I have been told it is not big enough to do the job correctly but I have have had this saw and equivalent 010 covering about 3 decades and it has never let me down.

WhiteRhino
October 1st, 2013, 02:52 PM
Everyone should keep in mind that a trail saw is not intended for cutting enough wood to heat your house for the winter. I've carried a chainsaw for probably 9 years in Canada and find that I fire it up a couple times per trip ~ max. Only once do I think that I have had to refuel it, and I didn't this year with probably 5 different short saw cuts. Usually you are cutting a 4 - 8" diameter tree in 3 or 4 places and then it gets stored back away. The big trees we cut on Thursday were the first ever that I could not cut completely through from one side, but noting that it's a 14" blade, it's still capable of cutting a 2 ft diameter tree, which is damn big.

If you have a larger vehicle like Doug has, then maybe. But for a tightly packed rig like a jeep, a large saw is tougher to pack. If it's the only one you have and want it for wood cutting around the house, yes. But Doug's question was specifically aimed at a trail saw, so I vote for the pruning saw.

DDS4X4
October 1st, 2013, 09:24 PM
Thanks guys, gives me a direction to start.
Still waiting to hear the Model that Indy has?

Jim K is right on, I do not cut fire wood at home for heat.
Besides the Trails, I might cut a downed limb in the neighborhood 1x or 2x per year, less tha 6" diameter.

oz97tj
October 1st, 2013, 10:35 PM
Ive been eyeing a MS 192 for a while. Itls basically the same saw as Jims, but it has a rear handle for a bit more comfort. Still pretty small for easy storage. Stihl makes a 150 which is tiny but its limited to a 12 inch bar. Another cool option I think would be great for trail use is Stihl makes a battery operated saw. Its small and no smelly gas in your rig. Ive read reviews, which are positive, but have no first hand experience with it. For trail use though I thi k it would be nice depending on how the battery lasts.

Greenway
October 1st, 2013, 11:29 PM
Although I have 3 chainsaws, I carry a folding bucksaw for the trail. Light, cheap, and compact.

I have a Stihl MS 250, a 230, and an 028 Wood Boss. All great medium saws but too big for trail use.

I like Stihl and Husqvarna

lgottler
October 2nd, 2013, 09:32 AM
When I do go exploring, canada only, will I bother to bring one. I have a stihl 14" something now. My biggest tool is an old strap, I've dragged many fallen trees out of the way or just down enouh to drive over them.

gnjeepn
October 2nd, 2013, 11:22 AM
Seems like lately I have had to remove a lot of downed trees from the trails we run. Some are pretty substantial. I have been making a point to throw the Stihl with the 20" bar in the back of the Unlimited and it has come in handy with some of the large trees we have been encountering. Some that we would be hard pressed to take care of with anything smaller than at least an 18" bar. Not the norm and if we were using the YJ I would be hard pressed for space.

WhiteRhino
October 2nd, 2013, 07:57 PM
Here is my pruning saw in my trail carry bag. In addition to the saw, the bag contains 2 extra chains, a quart of bar oil and a quart of premixed fuel. Compare that to my 250 all by itself and you can see the benefit of packaging.

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc361/kdsrgon/saws_zps08049d02.jpg (http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/kdsrgon/media/saws_zps08049d02.jpg.html)