PDA

View Full Version : My new Jeep won't start!

DADS4X4
August 20th, 2013, 07:27 PM
Hello everyone.

I've got a bit of a problem that I hope someone out there has come across.

I just bought a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X with a 3.8 V6...automatic....23K miles. I've only had the Jeep for a month now but sometimes when I try to start it I turn the key and there's absolutely nothing...no cranking...clicking...nothing. Then I'll turn the key again and sometimes it will start or maybe the third time. This doesn't happen all the time but when it does it's frustrating. I've checked the battery and it's good...12.8 volts...and looks to be new as well and the connections are clean and tight. I first thought it could be the neutral safety switch but I had read that a good way to check that is to try to start it in other gears other than park and neutral which I have tried and it doesn't start like it's supposed to but will start fine in neutral and park. The lights don't go dim on the times when it doesn't turn over so I don't think it's the battery. It also has a remote start that will usually work fine but I had tried it today and it wouldn't start and then when I got in the vehicle and tried the key it wouldn't work either...until the second or third turn.

Each time I have had this problem I have tried to move the shifter up a little while in park but like I said it starts after the second or third try so I really don't know if wiggling the shifter is doing anything? Does anybody know if there is linkage associated with the neutral safety switch or is it internal within the trans?

Has anyone else had this problem?:banghead:

Any advice would be a great help!

Greenway
August 20th, 2013, 09:57 PM
I haven't, but it was a common problem for that model year. Jeep issued a TSB to cover it.

Antitheft System - Engine No Crank/No Start Condition

NUMBER: 08-007-08 REV. A

GROUP: Electrical

DATE: July 04,2008

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 08-007-08, DATED MARCH 04, 2008. THIS IS A COMPLETE REVISION AND NO ASTERISKS HAVE BEEN USED TO HIGHLIGHT REVISIONS.

DO NOT ORDER PART NUMBER 05026070AP UNTIL JULY 21, 2008. ALL OTHER PART NUMBERS ARE AVAILABLE NOW.
SUBJECT:
No Engine Crank Or No Engine Start Due To Electronic Lockup Of The WCM / SKREEM

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves the replacement of the Wireless Control Module (WCM), and if equipped, the replacement of the Electric Steering Column Lock (ELV). The WCM is also referred to as the Sentry Key Remote Entry Module (SKREEM).

MODELS:
2007 - 2008 (JK) Wrangler

NOTE :This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or before May 05, 2008 (MDH 0505XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer will experience a no engine crank AND a no engine start condition. Also, the remote keyless entry (RKE) system will not operate. This condition may be due to an electrostatic discharge (ESD) from the ignition key into the Wireless Control Module (WCM), causing the WCM to electronically lockup. This condition may occur more frequently in dry and/or cold weather conditions where a sufficient electrostatic charge is more easily produced. This condition is corrected by the replacement of the WCM.

Greenway
August 20th, 2013, 10:01 PM
There is also a problem with the transmission range selector that prevents the engine from cranking. My JK has that gremlin. In this case, the starter bumps then disengages.

TJ/WILLYS
August 20th, 2013, 11:49 PM
You need to check the starter relay in the under hood power distribution box. See if it is closing when its acting up.

JerryD
August 22nd, 2013, 11:00 PM
I have an '08 and the relay issue is more likely to occur on dry winter days. Pulling the 40A (iirc) relay & doing a 30 count will resolve it.

The more likely culprit is the same thing I'm dealing with now.. the range selector. Mine is having this happen more frequently now. Sometimes pushing the gear selector forward while turning the key works, but putting it in neutral has always worked. Someday I'll need to actually address it.

Sent from an undisclosed location...