PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: New Slogan and Design

lpm606
May 9th, 2013, 10:55 PM
At the last Quarterly meeting our membership voted to reserve the Sale of merchandise with the GLFWDA Logo to members of the association only. The consensus was that we should come up with an alternative more general off highway recreation slogan or logo that would promote the sport and the Association and still be a cool design that people at an event like the Jeep Blessing Would want to buy. A slogan such as Tread Lightly's "respected access is open Access" or our Old "Support the Sport" theme would be ideal. We would like to open up to our membership to suggest a new theme/slogan/Logo that we could use for this purpose. This would be something we could use for stickers, T-Shirts, or other branded items. Something basic like "I wheel Responsibly" comes to my mind, but its doesn't have much flair... What are your ideas for a new slogan that would sum up and promote what we do and be catchy enough for people to want to buy it...

Post up your ideas and if you have any talent for design, send us something you think we can use. If we use your idea, we'll send you a free shirt from the first batch we have made up!

WhiteRhino
May 10th, 2013, 06:38 AM
I agree that the "support the sport" would only be worn by members. Otherwise it would be sort of hypocritical wouldn't it? LOL I like the "I wheel responsibly" slogan. Unfortunately, I don't have much to add at the moment.

phittie1100
May 10th, 2013, 03:50 PM
I have always been open and honest about the fact that I am creatively challenged.

MattS
May 11th, 2013, 02:03 PM
I like the "respected access is open access" one but maybe we could put our own spin on it? I like "I wheel responsibly" as well, but I also just thought about maybe combining them. I'll sleep on it and toss whatever I come up with up on here.

lpm606
March 26th, 2014, 06:51 AM
Well, almost a year ago we agreed to restrict sales of our glfwda logo to members only. (A decision that, as we have discussed elsewhere, we have been blasted for by all the marketing people we have spoken to) At the time, we agreed to establish an alternate logo that we could sell to the public as a "draw" to our booth at events and a way to make a few bucks that would still promote our message. While I see the momentum swinging back towards unrestricted sales of our logo, in the meantime Marie Thurlow. who recently joined the marketing committee, has been busily tossing ideas past the full committee for an alternate logo. Here is the design we have settled on. We are thinking of having a member price on the shirt in line with our regular logo shirts and then tacking on a few bucks for sales to the public so they are, indeed, supporting the sport with their purchase.

WhiteRhino
March 26th, 2014, 06:56 AM
Well I continue to maintain that we should just start selling what we already have to anyone who wants to buy it. Quit worrying about it.

lpm606
March 26th, 2014, 08:54 AM
I think most of us are in agreement on that point, and we are going to address that at the next meeting. Even if we do re-open up our "normal" logo for public purchase, this is still a pretty cool design that shouts our message... Something members and non-members can wear... Generating a few extra bucks from t-shirt sales can't hurt either.

lgottler
March 26th, 2014, 10:59 AM
Im not seeing how the logo states our message. Kinda looks like we are a radio controlled truck club, or a mud truck club, or .... but not a group that works to keep our areas trails and land open and helps get families together to enjoy the 4 wheeling hobby. My .02

hemrides
March 26th, 2014, 05:48 PM
Your logo is your club...it's what folks recognize at a glance....not some words at the bottom of something. If you want to protect the logo so much, then add the word member in it or under it to show you are a member vs. non member. Make that a different color. There are clubs in Utah that do this with their log...but the logo sells the club...the more folks see the more they will remember the club and hopefully inquire about the club.

My 2

MattS
March 26th, 2014, 09:45 PM
I've got to put my two cents in as well. When I first saw it I saw monster trucks, in fact one looks pretty close to the truck Grave Digger. From a layman's point of view it looks like a monster truck racing association's logo. I don't really see how this represents what GLFWDA is or sells what we do. Just my input on the matter.

gnjeepn
March 27th, 2014, 07:05 AM
I've got to put my two cents in as well. When I first saw it I saw monster trucks, in fact one looks pretty close to the truck Grave Digger. From a layman's point of view it looks like a monster truck racing association's logo. I don't really see how this represents what GLFWDA is or sells what we do. Just my input on the matter.

X2

Plus I agree with Dave having a way to tell between a paying member and those who just bought the logoed item.

WhiteRhino
March 27th, 2014, 12:00 PM
It is that pretentious attitude that continues to drive people away. Basically you are saying "you aren't good enough to wear my shirt". I see no reason to differentiate someone who wants to spread the name. You don't see a michigan grad wearing a shirt that says "I graduated from here". You simply see a michigan shirt.
We should be the same way.

Gogolen
March 27th, 2014, 01:09 PM
Michigan grad doesn't need the shirt, two minutes in the room with one and everyone will know. I don't get what the big deal is or why we would need 2 different logos for members or non members, just sell the friggin shirts for revenue.

gnjeepn
March 27th, 2014, 04:24 PM
What I see as pretentious is the people who would give the impression that they have ponied up the same money that I have. I think its great that they want to wear the logo'd items but why not offer something up different to those of us who pay to really support GLFWDA.

WhiteRhino
March 27th, 2014, 07:45 PM
Why not sell the excessive amount of inventory we already own?
Plus why offer a new set of clothing when we don't even take our standard stock to glfwda events like snofari?

I really don't care if someone has paid or not. I guess I better take the shirts away from my kids that I gave them.

Greenway
March 27th, 2014, 10:06 PM
Or, make a new logo for members and let the wannabes have the old logo. That way we get rid of the old and get the new cool stuff for the members that already have all the old logo stuff.

lpm606
March 28th, 2014, 06:31 AM
Why not sell the excessive amount of inventory we already own?

not sure what you are basing this statement on... We were just about sold out of inventory this fall and placed a moderate order to have an on-hand supply for events. We certainly do not have excessive amounts of anything...

There are definitely things that we could be doing better, but lets not assume the worst about everything, eh?

NightKrawler
March 28th, 2014, 09:15 AM
Well, almost a year ago we agreed to restrict sales of our glfwda logo to members only. (A decision that, as we have discussed elsewhere, we have been blasted for by all the marketing people we have spoken to]

Listen to the marketing people.
More than likely if a non-member buys a shirt at an event they will end up joining at some point.

Offer them a shirt at a discount of $5 if they join.

Whatever...get the word out and get the shirts out. Don't restrict sales and keep it to one shirt design.

Not a fan of the alternative shirt design. Looks like supporting monster trucks and mud bogs. My .02.

fsumotorhead
March 28th, 2014, 12:21 PM
Listen to the marketing people.
More than likely if a non-member buys a shirt at an event they will end up joining at some point.

Offer them a shirt at a discount of $5 if they join.

Whatever...get the word out and get the shirts out. Don't restrict sales and keep it to one shirt design.

Not a fan of the alternative shirt design. Looks like supporting monster trucks and mud bogs. My .02.

What's the per shirt cost for a t-shirt? I'd offer free shirts with a membership if they sign up at an event and use paypal auto-renew. If the cost is too high, maybe at least offer to sell a shirt at cost instead.

Not only should we sell to anyone willing to buy, we should give out more freebies, raffel and door prizes, at the major yearly events.

WhiteRhino
March 28th, 2014, 06:13 PM
Ed, a while back we had tubs of clothing. I'm glad to hear it is selling but I wonder to who?

Ironman Offroad
March 29th, 2014, 08:14 AM
Ed, a while back we had tubs of clothing. I'm glad to hear it is selling but I wonder to who?

To members I would guess.

phittie1100
March 29th, 2014, 11:43 AM
Don't forget that we also use those same store supplies to supplement the many raffles and other give-aways we support during the year. We typically provide 2 GLFWDA memberships and 2 shirts or 2 hats for each event, and we do a fair number of them each year.

lpm606
May 23rd, 2014, 02:37 PM
So, at the last meeting I did bring this issue up and we voted to re-allow sales of our regular logo to the public. I meant to bring along the "alternate" logo ideas for everyone to see and we were going to have an informal vote between the one I proposed below, and this other design that I am attaching here, which features the "Support the Sport" logo with vehicle silhouettes that look less "monster truck-y" if you will. While it is hard to incorporate a simple picture/logo that leads to an understanding of our mission of open trails, we feel the design definitely shows the "sport" we are supporting is full size recreation as opposed to atv, cycles, etc... Our design person absolutely detests the idea of trying to design "by committee" and realistically, we are never going to find a design that pleases everyone, but what are your thoughts about this one? While we don't really need it as an "official" replacement, it still is nice to have an alternate design - I am particularly thinking about using this as part of our EZUP design to have something a little more "sexy" than just our logo plastered on all four sides... I know we need to ad an a to the web adress - this was an early version that wasn't corrected as it was dropped in favor of the other one...

WhiteRhino
May 23rd, 2014, 02:41 PM
I like it. I wouldn't mind the org site being yellow but I won't complain.
Thanks for bringing up the sales of standard logos. Good move!

MattS
May 23rd, 2014, 04:46 PM
I like this one a lot better. I wouldn't mind wearing a shirt with this one on it.

Ms.ZJ
May 23rd, 2014, 05:10 PM
I really like this one!

ROVER86CJ7
May 23rd, 2014, 07:49 PM
I replenished the Store with some UPDATED gear last year....I ordered Flexfit hats and Skull caps and hoodies (changing some of the retro gear up)...Sales of the newer items has been well received.

I had the store at Jeep Creep and Sno-Fari & any other event I attended(and sold a good amount)

The only issues I see is the new artwork and set up cost on the initial order. I think that can be absorbed in the cost ( spread out amongst the items)

When I took inventory of the store the inventory was dwindled. I talked with Paul & Kevin to adjust it. Also made a spread sheet to keep track of the MOBILE store and to help us track sales.

Just so we don't have "to much "inventory we should rotate through what we have and replenish with the new.

I like the proposed design also...I am all for small logo on the front and larger on the back(just my opinion)

Would we change our COLORS? I have noticed a lot of events are going to BRIGHTER colors. Although I'm a Blue and Maze fan...( I couldn't resist):D

I also like the discounted offer at sign-up...Good idea

Thanks for working on that Ed and to your group!

lpm606
May 23rd, 2014, 11:49 PM
I like it. I wouldn't mind the org site being yellow but I won't complain.
Thanks for bringing up the sales of standard logos. Good move!

As far as colors, we are wide open... Everything gets designed in pure back and white so it can be used for the cheapest possible 1 color printing, but we can always do it in a color, or multiple colors... Since we do the regualr shirts in blue with yellow logo I was thinking yellow shirts with blue logo for these...That would be bright like Pat mentioned...

It actually almost slipped my mind after the robust conversation about the EZUp, but luckily I remembered to make this motion as well!

WhiteRhino
May 24th, 2014, 06:23 AM
Since my wife usually says I don't match, I'm not the advice on color. Honestly I think a combination of bright & conservative is best because there are times a more conservative shirt that still carries the message would be nice.
One more thing, I've noticed that almost all my wheeling shirts are darker colors which translates to HOT in the summer. Why not a white shirt with the logo on it?

ROVER86CJ7
May 24th, 2014, 06:59 AM
What if the current logo was on the front (like now) and the new logo in the back(larger)...if the new logo gets to small you will never make out the vehicle's because of bleed.
Id like to see it in current colors...yellow on blue...but I like your idea blue on yellow ...just because that logo may look better in a dark color. Gray is always a safe bet. just sayin

hemrides
May 24th, 2014, 08:27 AM
Did you think about having a contest for this design, and then have the members vote for the one they like. We just did that for a 40 year anniversary logo and got 4 logos to pick. They were all very good.

Dave

lpm606
May 24th, 2014, 02:16 PM
Did you think about having a contest for this design, and then have the members vote for the one they like. We just did that for a 40 year anniversary logo and got 4 logos to pick. They were all very good.

Dave

if you go back to the beginning of this thread, that is pretty much what we tried to do over a year ago and we got no responses. Not a contest per se, but we asked our membership for designs or ideas for logos/slogans. I also separately suggested spending about $400 to crowd source a design and the BOD shot me down on spending the money, that is why it has languished until we had a design person volunteer to work with the marketing committee.

So, we are not looking to revisit the whole process, we had our top two designs, the one that most people on the Marketing committee liked, the BOD also liked, but there was some pretty strong reactions to the monster-truckishness of the vehicles when we shared it here, which had also been my initial reaction. If we had heard some people say "I don't like it" we wouldn't have been so concerned, but instead we heard people say "I don't think that represents our Brand", which gave us pause. So I am throwing the runner-up design out here to see if it is received a little better. Like I said, we are never going to find something that 400 people all like, but I think this one is pretty solid... my initial design ideas I shared with our designer were more trying to incorporate trails & trees, and 4wd vehicles, etc. (as has been mentioned below) and she had to steer me to something more simple that can serve as a slogan/logo. We have used "support the Sport" for years, the trucks make it clear we are talking about full size vehicles... as Pat said with the regular logo on the front over the pocket area and this on the back I think you've got a pretty decent shirt design!

StingRay66
May 27th, 2014, 06:43 PM
How about a long sleeve shirt & sweat shirt with "GLFWDA" on one sleeve and "UFWDA" down the other sleeve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WhiteRhino
May 27th, 2014, 07:55 PM
The BOD should have turned you loose with a budget and gone to a professional.

lgottler
May 27th, 2014, 09:12 PM

Isn't it missing an "A"?

lpm606
May 28th, 2014, 07:22 AM
Isn't it missing an "A"?

If you read my post I explicitly addressed your question...

lgottler
May 28th, 2014, 11:29 AM
If you read my post I explicitly addressed your question...

I apologize for my stupidity. Lol I did read all all the post, but I already started deleting from the bottom up....right where you mentioned it! Anyways, last time I failed to mention the obvious work printed 3000 post cards with the wrong address.

lousypirate
June 3rd, 2014, 11:34 AM
a light olive green with a darker orange lettering would be sweet.