PDA

View Full Version : *******GITCHEE GUMEE 2013 September 27,28,*******

indy
April 17th, 2013, 04:49 PM
ITS BACK!! Gitchee Gumee 2013!!!

With the help of five veteran trail leaders GG 2013 will be held on September 27,28, 2013. The run will be held at Blue Berry Hill Campground in Ontario. GG 2013 will primarily be an exploration run that will be set up for all rig builds including stock vehicles. At this time this run will not have dinner or a door prize raffle.
REGISTRATION WILL BE OPEN TO GLFWDA MEMBERS ONLY!!! REGISTRATION WILL BE OPEN ON MAY 1ST 2013.. CURRENTLY WITH 5 TRAIL LEADERS THAT MEANS THE RUN WILL ONLY BE TAKING 50 REGISTRANTS. As need arises I may be able to pursue more trail leaders.

WhiteRhino
April 17th, 2013, 06:50 PM
Excellent!!!! I am excited to help out as a trail leader. Tab Brousseau has already committed to be my trail sweep.

My runs will be long distance day runs, leaving 8:30 ish in the morning & returning well after dark. They will consist of some beautiful scenery, many 2 tracks, probably 40 miles of pavement and several places where 4wd will be needed. One of my runs will have a single obstacle that will make a stock rig struggle by rubbing a rocker guard. Tow points front and rear will be mandatory and a winch is recommended.

Thanks for bringing this back to life.

Jim

phittie1100
April 17th, 2013, 07:00 PM
Excellent!!!! I am excited to help out as a trail leader. Tab Brousseau has already committed to be my trail sweep.

My runs will be long distance day runs, leaving 8:30 ish in the morning & returning well after dark. They will consist of some beautiful scenery, many 2 tracks, probably 40 miles of pavement and several places where 4wd will be needed. One of my runs will have a single obstacle that will make a stock rig struggle by rubbing a rocker guard. Tow points front and rear will be mandatory and a winch is recommended.

Jim

Ready to rub my rockers, waiting for May 1!!

Sent from my electronic tether

fsumotorhead
April 17th, 2013, 07:13 PM
So on May 1st, how do we register?

WhiteRhino
April 17th, 2013, 07:24 PM
My rocker knocker
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y499/Darcie_Fields/GitcheeGumeeexploration2012Ontario027_zps119565c0. jpg

Thread of our trip last fall.
http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=246575&highlight=gg+revisited

indy
April 17th, 2013, 08:18 PM
In the days to come there will be a registration form that will be able to be down loaded. It may look alot like a Snofari registration, since Ryan Hoffman is making it!

kb8ymf
April 18th, 2013, 11:31 AM
Excellent!!!! I am excited to help out as a trail leader. Ken Douglas has already committed to be my trail sweep.

Jim-kb8ymf

If the above post looks familiar.............it should. WhiteRhino and I will be doing what us old school wheelers used to do, explore and see what comes our way.
That being said look for destinations to include the old Tribag mine, Montreal River, maybe the abandoned unanium mine if it's still open, and numerous stops along the way including a few waterfalls.
The only thing I will add is for this trip you need a GOOD working CB. Don't wait till you get up there to 'wire up' the one you bought at Walmarts in the Soo.

lgottler
April 18th, 2013, 07:41 PM
Cool beans! My jeep is nearing completion (finally), and I'm studying tasty HAM. Wifey says I can go but I have kid number 4 due end of October, so as long as my wife is feeling good I'm there! Thanks to everyone helping bring this back!

Lucas

DDS4X4
April 19th, 2013, 02:45 AM
Guess we know what you have been doing in your spare time, CONGRATULATIONS & Best Wishes to your family!

oz97tj
April 19th, 2013, 08:45 AM
I want to go but the wifey is due around that time. Think she'll be mad if I miss it?

WhiteRhino
April 19th, 2013, 03:28 PM
I want to go but the wifey is due around that time. Think she'll be mad if I miss it?

She will be mad & I will be glad. :flipoff:

Wish you could make it JR.

shawn
April 19th, 2013, 09:43 PM
I won't miss this. My rig is sitting here ready for this.

phittie1100
April 20th, 2013, 06:21 AM

Sorry you will miss the trip, bit CONGRATULATIONS!!

Renegade II
April 20th, 2013, 07:53 AM

I remember having a couple years events I missed for the same reason, Congrats!

......... but I have kid number 4 due end of October.....

If we'd had our boy first we'd have been done at one, LOL. Congrats on having the patience for 4!

sportsnut44
April 20th, 2013, 09:25 AM
cant wait till may 1st

indy
April 21st, 2013, 02:57 PM
OK... I get a MULLIGAN right??!!!, As it turns out my Club MSG will be opening their registration for DOA on May 5. I didn't realize that when I said May 1st for GG 2013. We will be starting registration on July 1,2013. This will allow people to chose which run may fit them better. If they can't do both!!
Sorry for the LIE!!!!

lgottler
April 23rd, 2013, 07:57 PM
July 1. Got it. Now I won't have to lie when I fill out vehicle info!

WhiteRhino
April 23rd, 2013, 08:40 PM
Lucas, are you going to be a trail leader?

lgottler
April 23rd, 2013, 11:47 PM
Lucas, are you going to be a trail leader?

Nope! I get to have a stress free trip! :D I already offered to help if its needed.

The better half
April 26th, 2013, 06:56 PM
Looking forward to this!

swampjeep
May 23rd, 2013, 08:18 AM
waiting for July 1 :-)

fsumotorhead
May 23rd, 2013, 10:11 AM

x2

WhiteRhino
May 23rd, 2013, 09:03 PM

I think you will enjoy your first trip to Canada. hehehehehe

acme1271
May 24th, 2013, 08:08 AM
This is on our to-do list!

jpchurch34
May 24th, 2013, 08:54 AM
Hoping i can get in on this fun.

kb8ymf
June 1st, 2013, 08:07 AM
Well, a small group of us just returned from a scouting trip to Canada. WOW is all I have to say. I know it's early still but we have re-discoverd some old trails I used over 35 years ago and they look like they haven't been taken care of in the same amount of time. Many washes exist that are now laden with sizable boulders. Bridges simply don't exist. In fact we have one trail called 'No Bridge'.
For us old farts like Whiterhino and myself, this trail ride will be an eye opener for todays generation of fourwheelers who fixate primarily on parks and those who believe that what our DNR permits us to do constitutes real fourwheeling. It does not.
You are in for the time of you life if you decide to come explore the great outdoors of Canada with us.
There will additional 'things to know' before you go. Indy and Kixx will be putting that info out as the time gets closer.
There are two things to keep in mind.
1: you are going to be a long way from anything so you need to be prepared and your vehicle needs to be in tip top shape. Serious breakdowns here WILL mean you are staying the night in the woods. DON'T show up knowing that your U-joint is clunking a bit. REPLACE it before you get up there. There's nothing worse than killing 3 or 4 hours waiting for someone to fix something on the trail they should of at home.
2: these trails are NOT maintained. Meaning your truck IS going to get scratched a bit. If you can't stand a few brushy pinstripes, this trail ride is not for you. Stay back on the 72" wide DNR trails in Michigan and read about what you are missing in the next Boondocker.
jim-kb8ymf

landj
June 1st, 2013, 08:31 AM
Wow is right. Letting me lead the group up driveway was simply awesome. Thanks. Thanks for everything Jim. This not just a trail ride it's an adventure.
You never know what you'll find and or see.

fsumotorhead
June 1st, 2013, 11:46 AM
I can't wait, but if it's possible my rig might get scratched, it might be a deal breaker :lmao:

WhiteRhino
June 1st, 2013, 12:42 PM
It will be fun.

Renegade II
June 2nd, 2013, 10:21 PM
The pre run pics looked great! Wish I could get up there for this, it looks at least, or more fun than my last Bobcaygeon trip!

phittie1100
June 3rd, 2013, 09:18 AM
I can't wait, but if it's possible my rig might get scratched, it might be a deal breaker :lmao:

x2, I can't start mixing Ontario scratches with my Michigan scratches, it makes it too confusing. I better stay home...(not!)

fsumotorhead
June 3rd, 2013, 02:22 PM
x2, I can't start mixing Ontario scratches with my Michigan scratches, it makes it too confusing. I better stay home...(not!)

Will we have to report the Canadian scratches to customs as souvenirs?

lgottler
June 3rd, 2013, 10:35 PM

I'm getting ready! A 6 year hibernation and GG is the motivation to finish it!

acme1271
June 26th, 2013, 04:10 AM
Where is the registration info? Getting excited for this!

Kixx007
June 30th, 2013, 09:41 PM
Sorry for the delay. I meant for this to be posted sooner!

WhiteRhino
July 1st, 2013, 05:44 AM
Sweet.

fsumotorhead
July 1st, 2013, 08:24 AM
Awesome!

Can I add a passanger later? I'm 90% sure I'll have one, but nothing for sure yet.

phittie1100
July 1st, 2013, 09:06 AM
:woot:

landj
July 1st, 2013, 01:02 PM
:ahhh:

lgottler
July 1st, 2013, 07:22 PM
Can you edit your first post and stick the entry form there too?

keithshotrodshop
July 1st, 2013, 07:41 PM
Sending out registration now. Just renewed membership. Anyone know how to quickly find my membership number?

Jarhead
July 2nd, 2013, 09:13 AM
Sending out registration now. Just renewed membership. Anyone know how to quickly find my membership number?

Unless Pam issues you a new number, your old number was 6762.

keithshotrodshop
July 2nd, 2013, 10:14 PM
Unless Pam issues you a new number, your old number was 6762.

Thank you. I dug that out and put it on my registration yesterday. It's been awhile but it feels right to be back.

acme1271
July 2nd, 2013, 10:42 PM
:woot: Sent mine in yesterday!

keithshotrodshop
July 30th, 2013, 04:27 PM
According to Blueberry I just booked their last room.

Ms.ZJ
July 30th, 2013, 05:18 PM
Your number will be the same and your membership package went in the mail this morning.
You should have it Friday or Saturday.

lgottler
July 30th, 2013, 05:48 PM
I hope there are rooms left, I can't book one until week of...

keithshotrodshop
July 30th, 2013, 08:09 PM
I hope there are rooms left, I can't book one until week of...

According to the guys over at GL4x4 I was informed correctly. I'm sure you could stay in the Soo.

Otherwise I could rent the room in the back of my Excursion to you and a few other guys :D

lgottler
July 30th, 2013, 09:09 PM
Ill just sleep in the car. Bring an air mattress, all good. Nothing that a pot of coffee in the morning can't make right. My wife keeps scheduling these kids to come out at the wrong time of year!

fsumotorhead
July 31st, 2013, 02:24 PM
Ill just sleep in the car. Bring an air mattress, all good. Nothing that a pot of coffee in the morning can't make right. My wife keeps scheduling these kids to come out at the wrong time of year!

I know the feeling, I missed DOA last year because of our second child, almost missed Snofari the year before for our first!

XJcoupe
August 5th, 2013, 01:54 AM
just signed up and registered, hope to meet you all up north here at the end of Sept.

Scott
August 5th, 2013, 10:06 AM
Hope you still have room for an old flatfender....just sent in my registration. Looking forward to it...

WhiteRhino
August 5th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Looking at the original posting, I'm a bit concerned. Although primarily sight seeing, my run WILL NOT be stock and I don't know of a trail leader that is.

IF THERE ARE STOCK VEHICLES SIGNED UP, I AM CONCERNED!

kb8ymf
August 5th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Hope you still have room for an old flatfender....just sent in my registration. Looking forward to it...

I only know of one Scott in Benzonia........................How's Wendy?
Some of these trails will put the old flatty to the test. Did that thing have a wire on it? Can't remember.
Jim-kb8ymf

Scott
August 5th, 2013, 11:27 AM
I only know of one Scott in Benzonia........................How's Wendy?
Some of these trails will put the old flatty to the test. Did that thing have a wire on it? Can't remember.
Jim-kb8ymf

Wendy is good. We have been busy surveying and could use a good trail run in the Great White North eh! to recharge the batteries!

The Willys is pretty well set up:

Locked on both ends
cut 34x9.50's swampers on bead-locks
full cage
Classic Ramsey 8000 pto winch converted to hydraulic
Still running the flat head (.080" over and milled head to raise CR to approx 9.5 to 1)

However, if you think that may not make the cut, let me know

lgottler
August 5th, 2013, 12:47 PM
You will be just fine, probably better off than most. I'm on d60s and 36 tires so a stock tj on 31 probably has more axle clearance than I do!

lgottler
August 5th, 2013, 12:49 PM
Looking at the original posting, I'm a bit concerned. Although primarily sight seeing, my run WILL NOT be stock and I don't know of a trail leader that is.

I was wondering why the original sign up form didn't ask about your vehicle....

kb8ymf
August 5th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Wendy is good. We have been busy surveying and could use a good trail run in the Great White North eh! to recharge the batteries!

The Willys is pretty well set up:

Locked on both ends
cut 34x9.50's swampers on bead-locks
full cage
Classic Ramsey 8000 pto winch converted to hydraulic
Still running the flat head (.080" over and milled head to raise CR to approx 9.5 to 1)

However, if you think that may not make the cut, let me know

I always told you that Canada was a great run. Glad to see you coming up.
The only issue you would have on my run is the road miles to get to the trail head. However I don't think any other group is much better. Dave (if he leads) might be a running some stuff a little closer.
I can't remember if you had overdive on that thing or not.
We try to do around 50 ish to not get run over by the logging trucks on Hwy 17.
However I even sometimes stuggle uphill in the wind with my gearing also.
Whatever happens we'll make it work. Be great to see BOTH of you again, Wendy is coming I hope. Are the kids also?
j-kb8ymf

Scott
August 5th, 2013, 01:43 PM
I always told you that Canada was a great run. Glad to see you coming up.
The only issue you would have on my run is the road miles to get to the trail head. However I don't think any other group is much better. Dave (if he leads) might be a running some stuff a little closer.
I can't remember if you had overdive on that thing or not.
We try to do around 50 ish to not get run over by the logging trucks on Hwy 17.
However I even sometimes stuggle uphill in the wind with my gearing also.
Whatever happens we'll make it work. Be great to see BOTH of you again, Wendy is coming I hope. Are the kids also?
j-kb8ymf

50 should not be an issue on the road, especially if I wait to air down at the trailhead. (Pulling some bigger hills at 50 when aired down is a challenge unless you use the law of averages...hit at 60 and hope for 40 at the top!)

Wendy will be with me...not sure on the kids yet due to school, but if they come I would have to switch up to the Scrambler....and that is too nice for Canada (heat, V8, power steering, brakes) all the stuff that makes wheeling no fun!

Anyhow, I am looking forward to it, we have not been to Canada in about 5 years or so and not been there in fall for the color for a few more.

kb8ymf
August 5th, 2013, 02:02 PM
50 should not be an issue on the road, especially if I wait to air down at the trailhead.

We'll air down right at the trail head just before we make our first river crossing.
j

Kixx007
August 5th, 2013, 03:44 PM
I was wondering why the original sign up form didn't ask about your vehicle....

That's my fault. I used a registration form from a different event...... :banghead: I figured most people who would be signing up knew what this event would be and whether their vehicle was capable or not.

I also feel I need to provide clarification on one more thing. This event is a fundraiser for GLFWDA. It always has been. There will be no meals provided. I think Indy plans to fire up his grill on Saturday evening and make some extra hot dogs and hamburgers for anyone who makes it back to camp at a decent time. We will also have some fun awards to be giving out around the fire on Saturday night. There will be a community fire, somewhere.

fsumotorhead
August 6th, 2013, 09:39 AM

Seeing the posts back and forth here and on gl4x4, Iím a bit concerned myself.

My rig is a bit on the small side (31s), but not stock by any means.

Itís geared right, locked in the rear, good tires, winch, solid recovery points, on-board air(co2), and plenty of spare parts, tools and gear to go around.

Body damage is of little concern to me, and I wheel it like itís on 35sÖ lol.

I certainly donít expect any trouble from my rig, and would defiantly like to experience the cool trails and scenery Canada has to offer.

I certainly canít get over every obstacle a large tire rig can, but when I canít, I pull cable and drag myself over. Iíve found with a little finesse, I can make it most places larger rigs can.

Hereís a pic of my rig for those not familiar, anyone think Iíll be ďin over my headĒ on the GG run?

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb226/fsumotorhead/Rocks%20and%20Valleys%2010-13-2012/DSCN2112.jpg

I did just sell my boat, so a set of 34x10.50 LTBs is in my future, but I'm a bit concerned in having a new set of tires for this run that i've never wheeled with, plus they might be a bit much for the driveline

WhiteRhino
August 6th, 2013, 12:35 PM
fsumotorhead, you are not an issue. The issue is that this is not a run for a showroom bone stock rig.

fsumotorhead
August 6th, 2013, 01:03 PM
fsumotorhead, you are not an issue. The issue is that this is not a run for a showroom bone stock rig.

Thanks! That's what I was thinking, but you guys started to get in my head :ahhh:

lgottler
August 6th, 2013, 05:39 PM
I would recommend buying or upgrading to window insurance in case of breakage...front, side, and back....not that it would happen, but....!

XJcoupe
August 10th, 2013, 11:30 AM
Question on signup ? I downloaded the pdf file, I have not recieved my GL membership number yet. Do I need to mail the gitchee gumee regist. in ? or can I just hand deliver with payment to someone in charge when you guys get up north here in Canada ? yes I am a Canadian :wave:

cheers Robin

Ms.ZJ
August 10th, 2013, 05:24 PM
Question on signup ? I downloaded the pdf file, I have not recieved my GL membership number yet. Do I need to mail the gitchee gumee regist. in ? or can I just hand deliver with payment to someone in charge when you guys get up north here in Canada ? yes I am a Canadian :wave:

cheers Robin
I processed and mailed your membership package Tuesday. You should have it very soon.
I will pm your membership number to you tomorrow when I get home from Birch Run.

fsumotorhead
August 28th, 2013, 01:14 PM
Well, a small group of us just returned from a scouting trip to Canada. WOW is all I have to say. I know it's early still but we have re-discoverd some old trails I used over 35 years ago and they look like they haven't been taken care of in the same amount of time. Many washes exist that are now laden with sizable boulders. Bridges simply don't exist. In fact we have one trail called 'No Bridge'.
For us old farts like Whiterhino and myself, this trail ride will be an eye opener for todays generation of fourwheelers who fixate primarily on parks and those who believe that what our DNR permits us to do constitutes real fourwheeling. It does not.
You are in for the time of you life if you decide to come explore the great outdoors of Canada with us.
There will additional 'things to know' before you go. Indy and Kixx will be putting that info out as the time gets closer.
There are two things to keep in mind. 1: you are going to be a long way from anything so you need to be prepared and your vehicle needs to be in tip top shape. Serious breakdowns here WILL mean you are staying the night in the woods. DON'T show up knowing that your U-joint is clunking a bit. REPLACE it before you get up there. There's nothing worse than killing 3 or 4 hours waiting for someone to fix something on the trail they should of at home.
2: these trails are NOT maintained. Meaning your truck IS going to get scratched a bit. If you can't stand a few brushy pinstripes, this trail ride is not for you. Stay back on the 72" wide DNR trails in Michigan and read about what you are missing in the next Boondocker.
jim-kb8ymf

Any update on the "thing to know list"?

I've spent lots of hours in the garage in the last week to ensure my "jeep" is up to snuff.

Other than the "don't cross the border with a muddy jeep", I really haven't seen much FYI type of info. Do I need to bring anything other than my registration and POI for my rig that will be on a trailer, and my trailer?

WhiteRhino
August 28th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Getting in to Canada is easy but here are some tips.
Don't bother bringing fresh foods.
No guns. Bear spray is OK "IF" it says "bear spray" on the container. Pepper spray is illegal.
Where are you going? Staying at Blueberry Hill campground.
What for? Going trail riding with some friends.
How many? Don't really know but a dozen or so.
Where at? All I know is we are going on a color tour north of here on logging roads, etc.

Returning home,
Your vehicle must be clean and free of mud or you will be turned around and sent back. Some of us bring power washers, BB lets us wash out in a field. If you don't bring your own power washer, please be prepared to contribute some gas to those that are there. NOT MONEY>>>>>>> actual gas.
For the rest of the questions at the American customs, answer the questions direct and you should be fine.
Don't forget your passport or enhanced drivers license.

While @ GG.
You are on your own for all food. There are a couple small resturants within 5 minutes or several big ones in town20-30 minutes away.
Gas up the night before so everybody can leave on time.
Be ready to leave on time!!!!!
Make sure you have enough gas, food and beverages for your entire rig for the day. More is better than less.
In addition to whatever we are eating for the day, we carry the prepackaged tuna kits with us that include tuna, mayo, relish & crackers. Small, last forever and great nourishment at a moments notice. Trail snacks are great and good to pass around.
NO ALCOHOL ON THE TRAIL!!!!!!! We'll all share a beer & bull**** around the fire back at camp.
Bring a change of clothes in your rig right down to socks & undies. Falling in a creek & being wet all day sucks. Bring BOOTS! Wet feet suck.
The weather ranges from +80 to 50's and can be sunny or rainy. >>>>>> be prepared is all I can say.
Common sense on tools and spare parts. You know your rig better than anyone else. Jim's point about fixing your **** in advance is VERY important. We all have issues, that comes with the territory but if you have something to fix at home>>>>>>> fix it at home.
TOW POINTS FRONT AND REAR >>>>>>> MAKE SURE YOU HAVE GOOD ONES. Is this a wheeling trip? Yes but not hardcore.
You can use American money, just be prepared that not everyone uses the same exchange rate. You are in their country so deal with it. For larger purchases, credit cards are good as they use the current bank exchange rates. I have found that very few take American Express.
They speak English, you don't need to know French.
On the first day, most will air down when we hit the gravel 20 miles north of camp. You aren't at the dunes so you don't have to run super low pressure, just whatever makes your ride a little better. Again, no big traction challenges. I tend to not air back up for the entire weekend. I don't consider it a big deal, others might....... your choice. If you want to air back up when coming out of the trails, you need your own source. This is wilderness, there is no local gas station.
If you have the ability to carry a spare tire, I would. (I do)
A chainsaw if you have it. Most of the leaders carry one.
If you have a gps with downloadable topo maps, download the Canadian topo. You won't regret it.

In years past we have pretty much consumed the campground and have had a large community bonfire. This year, I think we are smaller and pretty spread out so I don't know what will happen. In several cases, the runs will be returning fairly late so you may want to be prepared for a simple meal. The resturants may be closed and going to town at 11 at night sucks.

That's all I got at the moment.

Jim

fsumotorhead
August 28th, 2013, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the info!

I'm personally staying at BB, I can't wait.

I keep hearing about these trail maps, are they available locally when we get there? I know there will be plenty of people who know where they are going, but I wouldn't mind having one.

WhiteRhino
August 28th, 2013, 03:27 PM
Yes and no. First, the maps are available at a place called the Trading Post just as you are getting out of town. The problem is they are expensive...... $15 or so each and for where we will be, you will need at least 2. And then, I have no idea if they are up to date. I had heard they are being phased out. That's why the gps topo is a nice way to go.

landj
August 28th, 2013, 05:00 PM
The Trading post had a good supply of maps a week ago. They were $13.99 each. The three I got were produced in 2009. Plus we are picking up a garmin Montana 600 with Canadian topo's .

lgottler
August 28th, 2013, 07:00 PM
The Trading post had a good supply of maps a week ago. They were $13.99 each. The three I got were produced in 2009. Plus we are picking up a garmin Montana 600 with Canadian topo's .

:( my gps died on day 2 of my Alaska trip last year and I havent replaced it yet. I've got maps from about 10 years ago, so in the end I hope I follow someone who knows where they are going!

Extra socks. Warm jacket. Rain gear. I pack like I was going hiking for a few days. Main meals for a day plus snacks to last another two, plus water for 2 days and I pack a purifier. I dont bring any food requiring fire or ice.

MEDICATION. If you need it, bring enough for at least 3 days.

Only other advice I can comment on is if you get stuck and take an overnight stay, I can't stress enough how important sleep is to making good decisions. I wouldn't hesitate to take a few hour nap in lieu of struggling to get unstuck or fixed in the dark if I felt tired enough. My first lesson my first time to GG. Darkness makes things 5 times harder to do and time it takes than in daylight.

WhiteRhino
August 29th, 2013, 07:01 AM
Good to know Jeff.:thumb:

:( my gps died on day 2 of my Alaska trip last year and I havent replaced it yet. I've got maps from about 10 years ago, so in the end I hope I follow someone who knows where they are going!

Extra socks. Warm jacket. Rain gear. I pack like I was going hiking for a few days. Main meals for a day plus snacks to last another two, plus water for 2 days and I pack a purifier. I dont bring any food requiring fire or ice.

MEDICATION. If you need it, bring enough for at least 3 days and pack it in waterproof containers and possibly split it in different locations in case your supply gets lost. (this comes from observing a person having an issue with insulin) .

Only other advice I can comment on is if you get stuck and take an overnight stay, I can't stress enough how important sleep is to making good decisions. I wouldn't hesitate to take a few hour nap in lieu of struggling to get unstuck or fixed in the dark if I felt tired enough. My first lesson my first time to GG. Darkness and pouring rain on a steep slimy hill makes things 5 times harder to do and time it takes than in daylight.

Added to it Lucas if you don't mind. PIW was a great experience. Amazing how hard that hill was in the dark with rain and in the daylight & dry we have driven right up it.

lgottler
August 29th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Added to it Lucas if you don't mind. PIW was a great experience. Amazing how hard that hill was in the dark with rain and in the daylight & dry we have driven right up it.

Forgot about that one! I was thinking about the 3 day stay in the woods. I started making dumb driving mistakes and getting frustrated over simple obstacles. It didn't help I was a newbie, but looking back I can remember a handful of my decisions made poorly because I was exhausted.

timbercruiser
August 29th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Forgot about that one! I was thinking about the 3 day stay in the woods. I started making dumb driving mistakes and getting frustrated over simple obstacles. It didn't help I was a newbie, but looking back I can remember a handful of my decisions made poorly because I was exhausted.

A food break is also helpful in these situations.

phittie1100
August 29th, 2013, 04:35 PM
Finally! A wheeling trip where I won't look overpacked

kb8ymf
August 30th, 2013, 07:26 AM

Ah.....................the infamous Trail 17..............that will be a good campfire story for the newbies.

I'm going to add a few more 'things' to what's already been offered up.
As much as this is a trailride, these trails are not driven very often, and especially so if your group is in for a little exploration. As such there can be frequent stops to clear trees and brush. The first to find these are the trail leader. However it ISN'T his/her job alone to clear the trail. Pitching in to help goes a long way towards making the ride much more enjoyable for all. Tools of the 'trade' for this include a small folding hand saw and a small pruning shear, both available @ Home Depot for about $19.00 each. They are made by Fiskar. You don't need the big giant loppers all that often. As was mentioned, chain saws are great but we try not to break them out too often. Driving OVER deadfall trees in the trail is much more enjoyable.
As long as nothing drastic occurs, My ride is already defined for Friday and Sat. There may be more than one trail leader going to the same place. Maybe the ame day, maybe a different day. Friday will be 'Lower 2' and 'No Bridge'. Lower 2 has a optional challenge route for those who'd like a little challenge. No Bridge was never explored to the end. We never finished it last spring. We took a 'bail out' to Hwy 17. It has 3 potential options to explore. So my group is going to explore each of them. This means some potential turning around. But it's also what makes this type of riding so much fun. You never know what's ahead.
Saturday will be a trip to Tribag Mine. Along with some exploration of the mine from both the front side, top side, back entrances. Bring boots that at least cover above your ankles. The water in the mine is usually 8" deep for 20-30 feet. Also don't foget a flashlight for this one.
I think it's been mentioned before but please make sure your CB is working. While we're not going to be huge groups, but trail communication is important.

jim-kb8ymf

VortecTJ
September 1st, 2013, 12:32 PM
I signed up a couple weeks ago (GL4WDA & this event) , but have not gotten any sort of response? Just want to make sure my registration was recieved. After several Canada trips as a passenger im really pumped to get my jeep up there! I reserved a Small Cabin at Glenview they did have others available if anyone was interested.

Ms.ZJ
September 2nd, 2013, 08:54 AM
I signed up a couple weeks ago (GL4WDA & this event) , but have not gotten any sort of response? Just want to make sure my registration was recieved. After several Canada trips as a passenger im really pumped to get my jeep up there! I reserved a Small Cabin at Glenview they did have others available if anyone was interested.
Please pm me with your real name so I can look you up and get your membership information to you.
I just processed two weeks of incoming memberships.

fsumotorhead
September 6th, 2013, 08:20 AM
any idea what the 2m simplex frequencies will be?

I have a few of the Sault Ste Marie Repeaters already programed, and the 147.47 that is used for most GLFWDA event. Are there any others?

I'm going to try to program my radio ahead of time since it stinks using VFO mode, and I can never remember how to program on-the-fly.

I do also have a dual band HT, as a backup, but I'm not expecting to need it.

Thanks

Repeaters I already have programmed:

VE3SSM 146.940 - Sault Ste. Marie
W8EUP 147.210 + Sault Ste. Marie
VE3SNR 145.210 - Montreal River

KB8SKC 442.850 + Sault Ste. Marie
VE3SSM 442.650 + Sault Ste. Marie
VE3SNE 444.450 + Sault Ste. Marie
VE3SNB 444.475 + Echo Bay
VE3SNB 446.475 + Echo Bay

WhiteRhino
September 7th, 2013, 07:40 AM
We pretty much only use 147.47. There is a repeater in Hayden but I would have to look up the number. But, I doubt we will be using it because that was when we did a lot more out towards Searchmont. With where we are going, anything at the Soo or Echo Bay are way too far south. I see there is one up by the Montreal River but it would be further than we would be to each other.

fsumotorhead
September 7th, 2013, 09:58 AM
We pretty much only use 147.47. There is a repeater in Hayden but I would have to look up the number. But, I doubt we will be using it because that was when we did a lot more out towards Searchmont. With where we are going, anything at the Soo or Echo Bay are way too far south. I see there is one up by the Montreal River but it would be further than we would be to each other.

I programmed the repeaters more for an emergency than anything else.

I'm hoping a few more nights in the garage is all I need to get my rig entirely ready!

kb8ymf
September 7th, 2013, 07:56 PM

145.35 is Heyden. But it's a pretty low powered repeater. The Soo's 94 give pretty good coverage in the general 30-40 mile distance from the machine. We'll have to figure out what the PL is for those when we get up there. Soo might be 100.0 pl but if you listen for a bit it's usually announced. The repeater Trustee and those operators up there are pretty nice. After that you have to rely on the Simplex freq that WR gave you. If you get to mountain tops or high peaks I have hit the Soo machine from well north of where we'll be going, even from Griffin Peak. We usually just keep it on those two on my dual band and keep an ear out.
One other thing to recognize is in the infamous Trail 17 - '3 Days and 2 nights in the Bush' trip we were suprised by the fact the OPP monitored that frequency and heard everything we said. Keep that in mind when using those machines up there.
j-kb8ymf

kb8ymf
September 12th, 2013, 09:33 PM
Apparently their getting a 'bit' of rain up in the Soo also.......
From Diane at the campround.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

We had rain.... Lots.... The Soo has it worse than us. Some sink holes appeared and some roads got washed off but all is being repaired. The trip to the mine may not be possible but you still have a week and a half for the water to recede. The river is up but it is already going down. I think that you will be fine. Trails will be challenging, I know you think it will be lots more fun... Se you next week.

Diane

lgottler
September 12th, 2013, 11:35 PM
:D

Hmmm these new to me soft doors are not sealing all that good. I might have to silicone caulk myself into my Jeep.

The good: Wart on the hood still there! All vent lines at windshield or higher!

The bad: No twin stick shift boot (hello ground). What tailgate? I can pay for my cheeseburger without opening the door or window.

Definitely packing two extra sets of clothes in a waterproof bag and a few disposable rain ponchos.

phittie1100
September 13th, 2013, 02:12 PM
Bring a big roll of shrink wrap - you get in, we will seal you up good and tight.

No really, we will let you out at the end of the day, trust us :)

timbercruiser
September 15th, 2013, 11:50 AM
I scouted the trestle trail yesterday. It was great! It was just like I remembered. I didn't run the whole thing because I didn't want to get stuck out there overnight, but the parts I saw were challenging.
As mentioned earlier, it is closer to camp, so it is unlikely that we will be out too late (but it is Canada, so....)
See you all in two weeks!

phittie1100
September 25th, 2013, 07:16 AM
Packed the Jeep last night, now off to endure a half day of work before a quick trip back hone to hook up the camper, then pickup dad, then off to da Soo, eh?

Ms.ZJ
September 29th, 2013, 02:28 PM
Sitting here waiting to see pix...

WhiteRhino
September 29th, 2013, 07:50 PM
I was too busy enjoying the color, friendship, great weather and all around good times to take time to take pics. Sorry.

phittie1100
September 30th, 2013, 12:31 AM
Sitting here waiting to see pix...

I loaded a couple to Facebook, more tomorrow

fsumotorhead
September 30th, 2013, 03:47 PM
I'm working on sorting out 300+ pics.

I also have a garmin .gdb file if anyone want it. I didn't drop pins as often as I should have, but it shows where we went, including the "old/new" trail.

I just want to thank everyone again, I had a great time, I'll be telling stories from this trip for a great long time.

Unfortunatly after the damage, I may be done with the Explorer, but Iím really glad the Explorer made it to Canada; it seems a fitting end for a trusty steed.

I'm extremely fortunate that the torsion bar let go in the garage instead of on the trail or at 55mph on the street.

Just too much to fix on this one to justify keeping it. Iíll have a tear in my eye when the blue wrench comes out. But I hope to have a V8 powered X for GG next year!

landj
September 30th, 2013, 06:07 PM
We had a blast all weekend seeing old friends and making some new ones. Saturday morning Jim M. said we be back sooner then the day before. I must say I was a bit bummed to hear that. After we left the mine and kept stopping to clear the trail of down fall it was evident that we were not going to be back any time soon. Then came the creek crossings and I new then we were going to be in the woods for a while. That being said I was very happy it took so long to get back. You see I love that kind of stuff. In fact we could have had to turn around and back track and I would have no problem with it.I would like to thank everybody that helped my dad get through the ruff stuff with his stock yj on 31" with no lockers. I think he did pretty good.

Ms.ZJ
September 30th, 2013, 06:49 PM
I was too busy enjoying the color, friendship, great weather and all around good times to take time to take pics. Sorry.

indy
October 1st, 2013, 09:55 AM
Sara took nearly 700 pics, I will get a link up as soon as she is done.

In other news I can't thank everyone enough who attended! This event was a good success and was a pleasure to host! I made my first run to a GG in 1999... Vehicles were a bit less built then!

It is my intent to keep the tradition of GG on going in the years to come. I hope this can be possible.

phittie1100
October 1st, 2013, 12:15 PM
After the success of this run Jim it would be foolish of us to let it die again, let me know if you need help making GG2014 a reality!

fsumotorhead
October 3rd, 2013, 03:51 PM

lgottler
October 12th, 2013, 09:53 PM
Great time guys. Been busy with work and home, so little late on the thanks! Good first trip back into wheeling with my TJ after a 6 year oil change! A few minor issues I had to deal with (lost a body mount bolt, doubler linkage adjustment, out of balance wheels), but Jeep did great and I'm already itching to go again! Planning on next year! We should try and setup a community fire next time, we had 2 or 3 around the campground and it would be nice to hear everyone's stories for the day at a single site...

keithshotrodshop
October 16th, 2013, 09:40 PM
Great time guys. Been busy with work and home, so little late on the thanks! Good first trip back into wheeling with my TJ after a 6 year oil change! A few minor issues I had to deal with (lost a body mount bolt, doubler linkage adjustment, out of balance wheels), but Jeep did great and I'm already itching to go again! Planning on next year! We should try and setup a community fire next time, we had 2 or 3 around the campground and it would be nice to hear everyone's stories for the day at a single site...

I agree. Had a great time myself, but the "community" aspect would be nice to build on!

WhiteRhino
October 16th, 2013, 09:57 PM
We used to always have a community bonfire & the invite was open this year. I just don't think many knew...........

fsumotorhead
October 17th, 2013, 12:52 PM
We used to always have a community bonfire & the invite was open this year. I just don't think many knew...........

We wandered over, but we were a bit loaded since we got there at 5pm and the Thurs ride didn't come back til after 9, so of coarse I don't remember everyone's names.

Friday after bouncing around all day, coming back around 9, and getting dinner going in the dark, led to us being tired and heading to bed earlyish.

We stayed up til 4am on Sat huddling around our coleman, having a few beers, though we didn't get back til 1:30.

I had a blast! Next Time I will try to plan to stay for an extra day or so.

lgottler
October 17th, 2013, 02:49 PM
I left at the butt crack of dawn on Sunday because my daughter was having a birthday party that afternoon. It definitely is nice to take a Monday off and plan on heading home then, staying up Sunday to bs, sight see and relax is great, did that a few times.