PDA

View Full Version : redneck ram??

joe_jeep
February 26th, 2006, 02:27 AM
any one using a redneck ram?? i need a complete steering system upgrade. will be running locked d44 with a 38 in tire. dont think an agr box and pump is gonna be good enuff. any opinions on any hydro steering systems???

Brian
February 26th, 2006, 08:49 AM
I don't know anything about the Redneck ram but I do know that my AGR box and pump are not enough for 37's.

I will need to do something too if I continue to run a tire this big.

joe_jeep
February 26th, 2006, 05:35 PM
ya i heard that the agr box and pump would not be enuff for the big tires and locked fronts. the redneck ram system is about 775.00 for a complete system. new pump, new gear box, new ram, all lines and hardware. if u got an agr box and pump u could use them and just buy the ram and lines alot cheaper. i think like 299.99 for basic kit no pump or gear box. i saw the redneck ram setup on a cool jeep at the mounds saturday, he said it worked great. i had no power steering and a locker all day, it was not easy to turn the darn thing. i ran i 2wd alot cause the power steering works a little in 2wd, but nothing in 4wd. had nothing but trouble with the stock setup from day one. it leaked the day i bought it!! bone stock. fixed leak lasted bout a month leak was back. a 45 year old woman owned my jeep b4 me, and she never once put it in 4wd, and newer even put the top down. its not like it was abused. (till i owned it)
gotta do something soon!!

MuddyPaws
February 26th, 2006, 05:43 PM
I'll take your AGR setup off ya Brian if you replace it..... :D Been looking at them.

Brian
February 27th, 2006, 07:43 AM
Where did you see the setup for $299.00 I thought I would need a new box when I put an assist on?

I don't have problems when I'm just locked driving around, I have problems when I get playing in the rocks. My tires just won't turn when I get up against a rock.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(joe_jeep &#064; Feb 26 2006, 04&#58;35 PM) 10997</div>

ya i heard that the agr box and pump would not be enuff for the big tires and locked fronts. the redneck ram system is about 775.00 for a complete system. new pump, new gear box, new ram, all lines and hardware. if u got an agr box and pump u could use them and just buy the ram and lines alot cheaper. i think like 299.99 for basic kit no pump or gear box. i saw the redneck ram setup on a cool jeep at the mounds saturday, he said it worked great. i had no power steering and a locker all day, it was not easy to turn the darn thing. i ran i 2wd alot cause the power steering works a little in 2wd, but nothing in 4wd. had nothing but trouble with the stock setup from day one. it leaked the day i bought it&#33;&#33; bone stock. fixed leak lasted bout a month leak was back. a 45 year old woman owned my jeep b4 me, and she never once put it in 4wd, and newer even put the top down. its not like it was abused. (till i owned it)
gotta do something soon&#33;&#33;
[/b]

I don&#39;t think mine would work on a YJ?

When I bought this one "NEW" it did not work. So I tool it to Harry&#39;s Steering Gear and they fixed it for &#036;50.00. They said nothing was wrong with it, AGR just forgot a few parts :o They also told me that there didn&#39;t appear to be anything special about my AGR box eccept the reenforcement ring around the steering shaft and the fancy billet cover, He told me they could have done about the same thing for have the money. You might be just as well off to get yours rebuilt if you need one?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MuddyPaws &#064; Feb 26 2006, 04&#58;43 PM) 11000</div>

I&#39;ll take your AGR setup off ya Brian if you replace it..... :D Been looking at them.
[/b]

joe_jeep
February 27th, 2006, 08:48 AM
no u can use your own gear box and pump if u want. u can send it to them to install 2 fittings, or u can do it your self. it involves drilling 2 holes in the gear box and tapping them. much cheaper if u use your own gearbox and drill and tap 2 holes on your own. west texas off road itsthe companys name, i went to there site a couple of days ago.
i just went there again, to double check. for 150.00&#036; they set up your gearbox for the fittings and u supply your own ram. not a bad option&#33;&#33; rams can be had pretty cheap. for 499.00&#036; they clean rebuild and modify your box for fittings, plus u get the ram and all necessary hardware. a good deal if u dont wanna look around for parts. for 775.00&#036; u get a new box a new pump and all the hardware. pricey but the full on deal, everything u need. i saw a write up on some tech page (pirate i think) u can get your box drilled and tapped and a ram and hoses for 300.00&#036; they just did a story on it in petersons or jp in the last month or two, i forget which one though. go to westtexasoffroad.com.
all the parts in the kits can be had individually, but not cheap when doing peicemeal. good luck

MuddyPaws
February 27th, 2006, 08:59 AM
HHAHAHAHA...yours not work on a YJ....there isn&#39;t much YJ left in most places...just like there isn&#39;t much CJ left in many places on yours.

95geo
February 27th, 2006, 10:34 AM
i would suggest a rock logic assist kit, and reading the pirate tech article on tapping the box.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/H...tTap/index.html (http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/HydroAssistTap/index.html)

http://www.rocklogic4x4.com/store/index.ph...=19&prevstart=0 (http://www.rocklogic4x4.com/store/index.php?action=item&id=95&prevaction=category&previd=19&prevstart=0)

joe_jeep
February 27th, 2006, 04:58 PM
thx 95geo, thats a nice looking product and price, good tech article also&#33; saw your truck at the mounds saturday. was gonna say hi but i think u were in havin chilli at the time. i take it u r using the rocklogic setup?? that rear end is still sitting around if you need it. see ya

95geo
February 27th, 2006, 05:26 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(joe_jeep &#064; Feb 27 2006, 03&#58;58 PM) 11077</div>

thx 95geo, thats a nice looking product and price, good tech article also&#33; saw your truck at the mounds saturday. was gonna say hi but i think u were in havin chilli at the time. i take it u r using the rocklogic setup?? that rear end is still sitting around if you need it. see ya
[/b]

im about to install the rock logic setup, a friend of mine had it on a dana 60 with 42&#39;s and it worked perfect.....
funny thing is i went there and didnt even have a bowl of chilli :doah:
i&#39;ve been really busy lately, im still interested in the axle im going to need ot make time to get out there

JohnnyJ
February 27th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Woody from MSG has the Redneck Ram on his yellow TJ. I think he&#39;s been pretty happy with it. He&#39;s running a Currie hp9 and 37 Iroks.

joe_jeep
February 28th, 2006, 08:35 AM
ya take your time , its not for sale really, just if u needed it we would part with it. im going over there sat ill id it for sure (dana 70 we think) ya i didnt have the chilli either. but had fun. first time i drove the jeep in a few months. took a full day of wrenching to get her ready, but running real good now&#33; i was with wizzard the day they put the rock ram on woodys tj. the ram leaked like a siv on initial test&#33;&#33;&#33; mike was not happy, he put in my new nv3550 that day.
i think im gonna look closer at the rock logic set up&#33; 250.00 for the kit is a killer deal.

JohnnyJ
February 28th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Yeah, I remember there was an issue when first installed. The guy from Redneck Ram sent him a new part right away.

lgottler
March 1st, 2006, 02:45 PM
You can get the parts list and do stuff yourself for under 100 bucks. I have the list somewhere and prices rams and hoses and it does come just under 100. Have to find that agin. I will do this as well once I get the rest of my steering ready (highsteer etc...)

Good Luck

Lucas

joe_jeep
March 2nd, 2006, 08:59 AM
if u get the list of needed parts, and prices, and where to get em post it or email it to me please. i wont be doing it for a few months anyway. thx