PDA

View Full Version : Durabak exterior (Hey MuddyPaws)

JerryD
February 25th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Hey Tim -

SCHWEEEEET Jeep! Saw the pic in the bumper thread, but I have a couple of q's for you.

1st - What kind of surface prep did you have to do (cleaning, scuffing, primer, etc.)?
2nd - How's the application process? You didn't spray it, did you? Did you need a mask?
3rd - How much did you use? Two or three coats?

I've been looking at my choices and personally like the simplicity of this approach. ;)

MuddyPaws
February 26th, 2006, 12:32 AM
Thanks for the compliment...

Prep was simply scuffing everything that was to be panted. Now we did a fair bit of body work before we put the Durabak on..new windshield frame, new front fenders, new tailgate also. But the prep was the same for those. Scuff the paint of primer, and then clean everything with strong TSP, then clean it again with Xylene (sp) ...THIS IS IMPORTANT...You have to find xylene....nothing else will work...I have done 2 jeeps like this and about 5 truck beds. 2 of the truck beds we didn't use xylene and it didn't stick well.

Tape off what you don't want painted and go to it. You roll it on with rollers you get from them. No mask but you need vetilation. It stinks a bit. Don't use the textured stuff on the inside....it's hard to clean. Use the non-textured stuff.

I bought 2 gallons of the textured stuff for the outside and did 3 coats. Had some left over from that. It does not store...turned to a block in about 2 days. hardens by being exposed to air and it can not be stopped once you open the can.

joe_jeep
February 26th, 2006, 02:20 AM
ya that looked sweet in the pic! i wanna try that!! how much is it a gallon?? who sells it locally?? and is it the best stuff to do this with??

MuddyPaws
February 26th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Starts at like 80 bucks or so a gallon and goes up from there. Comes in several colors...like 16 both smooth and textured. No on sells it locally so you have to go to http://www.durabakbedliner.com/

And as far as the best for this....I can only tell you my experience. I have used Herciliner, Duplicolor, and a couple others in truck beds and none have stick as well or held up as well. Rhino i great but it goes on hot and can warp body panels. It also costs more. Rhino also fades bad and doesn't hold a shine. This stuff shines still after many years...all I have to do it clean it. Add some armor all and it's bling bling....but I don't do that too often.

JerryD
February 26th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the response, Tim. I found some additional info at http://www.cotelind.com/apptips.htm for application tips. What is TSP?

Oh, and as a fellow binder once said, "Bling and IH don't mix", but it'd probably make mama happier to have the Scout all one color! :D

MuddyPaws
February 26th, 2006, 05:18 PM
TSP is a cleaner you can get at just about any place...Trisodium Phosphate or something like that. Just go to the paint area or the cleaning area at Wal-Mart and look for TSP. Always there. They even sell it in the grocery store.

wrath
March 12th, 2006, 06:09 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JerryD &#064; Feb 25 2006, 08&#58;21 PM) 10969</div>

Hey Tim -

SCHWEEEEET Jeep&#33; Saw the pic in the bumper thread, but I have a couple of q&#39;s for you.

1st - What kind of surface prep did you have to do (cleaning, scuffing, primer, etc.)?
2nd - How&#39;s the application process? You didn&#39;t spray it, did you? Did you need a mask?
3rd - How much did you use? Two or three coats?

I&#39;ve been looking at my choices and personally like the simplicity of this approach. ;)
[/b]

After doing the exterior of my wheeling rig I seriously regret it. It&#39;s fine on the underside and inside... but even the so-called UV protected stuff turns to chalk on the outside. It doesn&#39;t take heavy abrasion very well. A stick will scrape it right off because it digs in whereas paint is slippery enough to let the stick slide over it.

MuddyPaws
March 12th, 2006, 07:35 PM
I have had it on mine for...I dunno, 5 or 6 years and haven&#39;t lost any of it. Your prep prolly wasn&#39;t good enough. I agree on the UV stuff though, after about 2 years it was starting to fade a bit but I got some bumper black from the local auto paint store...think it was a napa store, anyway it comes in a can like a coleman fuel can and is VERY thin...like water, only black. I rolled this on with a foam roller...actually it took about 6 of them because the stuff eats the foam away. After I did this, it has never faded. Looks like the day it went on. If you come to the silver lake run, you can see it and touch it in person.

I love it....hard to clean though. Gotta use a scrub brush.

Here is a look at the fender....don&#39;t look at the crappy Bushwacker flares...they are history.

http://eup.k12.mi.us/~tstrader/turtle/images/IMG_1596.jpg