PDA

View Full Version : Great Lakes business cards? Who's good at creating templates???

SKIP
February 22nd, 2006, 12:09 PM
Alrighty!

Who are the artistic/creative ones in this bunch???
Let's see some options. This is a needed form of communication for us that has been neglected for a long time.

We're looking for all types, from formal to fun.

Thanks for reading!

Regards,
-Skip-
(Mark)

Jeeperz-Creeperz
February 22nd, 2006, 02:36 PM
Are you looking for generic business card just to pass out? If so, I'd really recommend a professional just because the result will be nicer and it may be cheaper in the long run.

We have a guy here that does 4-color cards with black & white on the back for $95 per 1000. Not a bad price, really. I could ask him to draw something up but I'd need the glfwda logo in a better format than the web graphic.

Not that I'm saying your idea is a bad one! I just think if we're going to have business cards then we should have them professionaly done to make the association appear professional.

Zookeeper
February 22nd, 2006, 03:32 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeeperz&#045;Creeperz &#064; Feb 22 2006, 11&#58;36 AM) 10741</div>

Are you looking for generic business card just to pass out? If so, I&#39;d really recommend a professional just because the result will be nicer and it may be cheaper in the long run.

We have a guy here that does 4-color cards with black & white on the back for &#036;95 per 1000. Not a bad price, really. I could ask him to draw something up but I&#39;d need the glfwda logo in a better format than the web graphic.

Not that I&#39;m saying your idea is a bad one&#33; I just think if we&#39;re going to have business cards then we should have them professionaly done to make the association appear professional.
[/b]

I&#39;m with Kevin...although I think Mark&#39;s idea of seeing who on the board can give us a creative layout is a good one. You never know what some members may do by day - or night. :ph34r:

Jeeperz-Creeperz
February 22nd, 2006, 03:40 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Zookeeper &#064; Feb 22 2006, 03&#58;32 PM) 10743</div>

I&#39;m with Kevin...although I think Mark&#39;s idea of seeing who on the board can give us a creative layout is a good one. You never know what some members may do by day - or night. :ph34r:
[/b]
That&#39;s right&#33; We may have a graphic design artist among our ranks&#33; Now is your time to shine&#33;

WhiteRhino
February 22nd, 2006, 04:38 PM
I can paint by numbers :thumb-up:

Zookeeper
February 22nd, 2006, 04:39 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WhiteRhino &#064; Feb 22 2006, 01&#58;38 PM) 10747</div>

I can paint by numbers :thumb-up:
[/b]

:bigemo_harabe_net-15: :P

DDS4X4
February 22nd, 2006, 05:07 PM
Muddypaws had earlier indicated their school has a print shop that can do them for a reasonable price. We would be supporting the youth, our future 4 wheelers&#33; Just passing on another option.

phittie1100
February 23rd, 2006, 07:42 AM
We chose a low-budget option for our club "spotted&#39; cards - we designed a template in MS Publisher, then passed it around via e-mail so everyone could print what they needed at their own expense. MS Publisher isn&#39;t available to everyone, but a formatted .pdf page to fit on the perforated stock from Staples would work too. Doesn&#39;t cost the club anything that way, and you don&#39;t have to worry about running out before you bump into another member with extras.

kb8ymf
February 23rd, 2006, 11:19 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phittie1100 &#064; Feb 23 2006, 07&#58;42 AM) 10770</div>

We chose a low-budget option for our club "spotted&#39; cards - we designed a template in MS Publisher, then passed it around via e-mail so everyone could print what they needed at their own expense. MS Publisher isn&#39;t available to everyone, but a formatted .pdf page to fit on the perforated stock from Staples would work too. Doesn&#39;t cost the club anything that way, and you don&#39;t have to worry about running out before you bump into another member with extras.
[/b]

I think that&#39;s exactly what Mark was suggesting....I like that idea because trying to get such a small run of cards for some just wouldn&#39;t make it worth while. We&#39;re looking for a basic card design with GL Logo, maybe a Geo Tracker water mark....Just kidding...... and blank area for name address title, etc. That could be a simple Microsoft Word Document. I think we&#39;re just looking for picture ideas right now, Who needs them and how we get them distributed will be the next question.
j-kb8ymf

Zookeeper
February 23rd, 2006, 11:24 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kb8ymf &#064; Feb 23 2006, 08&#58;19 AM) 10790</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phittie1100 &#064; Feb 23 2006, 07&#58;42 AM) 10770

[/b]

I think that&#39;s exactly what Mark was suggesting....I like that idea because trying to get such a small run of cards for some just wouldn&#39;t make it worth while. We&#39;re looking for a basic card design with GL Logo, maybe a Geo Tracker water mark....Just kidding...... and blank area for name address title, etc. That could be a simple Microsoft Word Document. I think we&#39;re just looking for picture ideas right now, Who needs them and how we get them distributed will be the next question.
j-kb8ymf
[/b][/quote]

And don&#39;t forget the "must become HAM" nearly invisible subliminal messaging in the background... :kb8ymf: :)

SKIP
February 23rd, 2006, 11:40 AM
Jim hit it right on the head&#33;

While I would like to "purchase" some for the association it is not economically feasible at the moment.
Many of us would/could print some off at home.

Mostly I&#39;m looking for designs.

Then we can either print them or have them printed.
:thumb-up:

Jarhead
February 24th, 2006, 05:22 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MuddyPaws &#064; Feb 24 2006, 12&#58;53 AM) 10833</div>

Many members have said they would put up the 20 bucks or so per 500 cards that my school does them for. 2 color, blue logo with black letters. I know I am buying 500 and will give them out at the meeting and a couple of other members have ordered boxes of 500.
[/b]

What information do you have on the cards?

MuddyPaws Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association Ambassador?

SKIP
March 5th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Bueller? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

Creative Fab
March 5th, 2006, 03:30 PM
I will print some, I have a copy of what I used to use from when I was the membership sec. I will just delete the membership text.

I will bring some to the quarterly and put a copy on a disc&#33;

Jarhead
April 4th, 2006, 05:52 AM
I am uncertain whether or not this is going to work the way I want, because the formating changes a little each time depending on the fonts and printer available to print the templates.

I will upload a couple of Word Documents where I have created a Great Lakes Business Card that is Printable on Avery&#39;s Business Card Templates. Whether you use template 8371 or 8376 is really your choice; the card measures 2" x 3 1/2".

The first Document will allow you to put in your information Members Name, Members E-mail, Members Phone Number and Call Sign. You can Add, Delete or Change what ever information you desire. If you have difficulty manipulating the information, send me an e-mail or PM with your information you want included and I will try to help.

[attachmentid=256]

The second Document simply has a blank line at the bottom where you can write in your name and contact information if you like.

[attachmentid=257]

Jarhead
April 4th, 2006, 12:37 PM
For whatever reason some of the font types and size changes with the uploaded Documents. This may require some type of manipulation on the part of the end user (you) in order to make the card look professional. With the fonts and printers available to me, I like the end result when printed on my HP 5550. I will have examples of both cards at the April Quarterly Meeting (at the Sign-In table) for your review. I even have an example where I have a small picture of my Hummer on the business card (for a bit more personalization).

JerryD
February 6th, 2007, 11:31 PM
I was thinking about these ideas and came up with a design that uses my avatar. I think I may have to come up with some higher quality artwork and it may be a bit too busy, but I thought I&#39;d give it a whirl...

http://www.glfwda.org/forums/uploads/1168909015/gallery_287_116_738975.png

and then the back could be this...

http://www.glfwda.org/forums/uploads/1168909015/gallery_287_116_374747.png

(I&#39;ll have to find my card for my membership number&#33;)

The treadlightly was recreated. I don&#39;t know that that&#39;s strictly kosher as I haven&#39;t read their fair use statements, etc. but it was just a way to encourage the concept.

I like the idea of these as it allows for a casual intro, but doesn&#39;t seem "official"... make sense? In other words, I feel that if I were to create these and hand them out to potential members I wouldn&#39;t be acting on behalf of the organization, rather I&#39;d be just another enthusiast spreading the word.

Cheers,
Jerry

Jarhead
February 7th, 2007, 05:31 AM
Your Membership Number 7127.

What did you use to create your Card Design?

Jeeperz-Creeperz
February 7th, 2007, 09:36 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JerryD &#064; Feb 6 2007, 11&#58;31 PM) 22334</div>
http://www.glfwda.org/forums/uploads/1168909015/gallery_287_116_738975.png
[/b]

I think that&#39;s kind of catchy&#33;

The only thing is that I actually had to read/scan the entire thing to finally pick out your name, so it might be a bit too busy, or you&#39;ll need to put your name in boldface print. :lmao:

JerryD
February 7th, 2007, 09:51 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jarhead &#064; Feb 7 2007, 05&#58;31 AM) 22338</div>
Your Membership Number 7127.

What did you use to create your Card Design? [/b]

Thanks Bob&#33; I thought about PM&#39;ing you for it, but I didn&#39;t want to seem too lazy&#33; I used Publisher for the layout.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeeperz&#045;Creeperz &#064; Feb 7 2007, 09&#58;36 AM) 22342</div>

I think that&#39;s kind of catchy&#33;

The only thing is that I actually had to read/scan the entire thing to finally pick out your name, so it might be a bit too busy, or you&#39;ll need to put your name in boldface print. :lmao: [/b]

Well, maybe I don&#39;t want to be ID&#39;d&#33; j/k I thought of just having the GLFWDA seal (or can we all just call it the "Great Seal?) as a watermark to the side, but then I wanted to have the UFWDA seal, and then... okay, I got a little carried a way. BUT I DID INCLUDE MY CALLSIGN&#33;

It would probably be better to drop the UFWDA seal to balance it out, and put my contact info in the middle. Hmmm. Well, that&#39;s what the thread is for... ideas.

Cheers,
Jerry

P.S. What font is the muddy "Support the Sport"? It sure looks familiar, but I can&#39;t find it on my machines. It is a freeware font, isn&#39;t it?

Jarhead
February 7th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Can you upload each side as download?

phittie1100
February 7th, 2007, 04:49 PM
I think it looks good - we use publisher at work, so a downloadable version would be great if you can do it, Jerry.

JerryD
February 7th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Here they are guys, have at it.

Can't upload a .pub file, so I renamed the extention PDF. Take the appropriate action. ;)

{Deleted by JerryD}

Play with 'em, see what you come up with & let us know.

Cheers,
Jerry

EDIT:
Try this zip file instead.

Jarhead
February 8th, 2007, 05:42 AM
Okay, somebody smarter than me give it a try. I get an error message when I try to do a download.

JerryD
February 8th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Did you try right-click, save as (or "save link as")? If you double click it, it will think you&#39;re trying to open a pdf. Once you save it, rename it with a .pub extension. If that doesn&#39;t work I can probably host them and give a better link. Jerry

EDIT:
Scratch that. If you right click, it wants to save the php file. You&#39;ll have to wait until I get home to upload them to a host. Sorry &#39;bout that&#33;

EDIT II:
Okay, I changed the way my browser handles PDF&#39;s and was able to download the files. I put them in to a zip file and uploaded that file in to my previous post. I was then able to successfully download and open the zip on my computer.

HTH,
Jerry

Jarhead
February 8th, 2007, 10:23 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JerryD &#064; Feb 8 2007, 09&#58;05 AM) 22374</div>

Did you try right-click, save as (or "save link as")? If you double click it, it will think you&#39;re trying to open a pdf. Once you save it, rename it with a .pub extension. If that doesn&#39;t work I can probably host them and give a better link. Jerry

EDIT:
Scratch that. If you right click, it wants to save the php file. You&#39;ll have to wait until I get home to upload them to a host. Sorry &#39;bout that&#33;

EDIT II:
Okay, I changed the way my browser handles PDF&#39;s and was able to download the files. I put them in to a zip file and uploaded that file in to my previous post. I was then able to successfully download and open the zip on my computer.

HTH,
Jerry
[/b]
What did he say? :blink: :confused: :blink: :confused: :blink: :confused: :ahhh:

Yes, even I was able to download the zip file. :P