PDA

View Full Version : What would you wheel?

Coyote Red
December 10th, 2012, 05:45 PM
If you could wheel any vehicle what would it be? Two wheels or four? What would you do to it? Where would you take it? I want to see what dreams and creative ideas people have.

I would love to take a Jeep FC-170 and set it up to be a self sufficient expedition rig. Sleeping quarters, air compressor, water filtration, all fuel stove, solar battery chargers, and anything else needed to be away from civilization for a week or two. I would probably swap in a mechanical injection diesel so the fuel choices expand to more than what a service station offers as fuel quality and availability change around the world. Australia has always fascinated me since i spent two weeks travelling along the coast. This time I want to hit the interior of the country, meet the people in a dive bar, see the roads that lead to no where. Also the Russian Road of Bones and the area around Chernobyl has aways intrigued me. As for the rig, I have loved the looks of a cab over truck.

So what are your dreams?

Greenway
December 10th, 2012, 11:00 PM
I really like the FCs too. The new concept FC would be a nice start. Outfit the back for expedition then head west for a few years. The USA has enough to entertain me for the rest of my years.

Renegade II
December 10th, 2012, 11:34 PM
Diesel Unimog expedition vehicle with huge fuel tanks. I'd just go.....

timbercruiser
December 11th, 2012, 02:42 PM
An FJ 40 Land Cruiser with fuel injection, Orion t/c, factory cable lockers riding on 35" tires. I'd run the trails just across the border in Canada.
Land Rover D90 with locked axles-also on 35's.
Ford Bronco, straight 6, EFI, NP 435, lockers on 35's

I'd put all 3 on a tractor/trailer and take them out west to run Moab, Rubicon, Dusy etc....

Greenway
December 11th, 2012, 11:48 PM
http://olive-drab.com/images/id_man_8x8_700_05.jpg

phittie1100
December 12th, 2012, 01:31 PM
A properly outfitted Jeep JKU would be a good starting point - properly outfitted means it would still look like a JKU, but mostly new mechanical pieces and parts.

WhiteRhino
December 12th, 2012, 09:56 PM
Probably not much different than what I have right now. Although I'd like a full blown buggy at times.

DieselMTU
December 17th, 2012, 10:09 AM

Coyote Red
December 19th, 2012, 02:38 AM
http://olive-drab.com/images/id_man_8x8_700_05.jpg
I see you took the go big or go home route. I would love to work on the design or testing team for these. Maybe kickstand on gl4x4 can hook me up with a job after I graduate. Dreams are what keeps us going at my age in college.

That looks sweet!

DieselMTU
January 3rd, 2013, 11:27 PM
I am pretty sure a Land Rover Discovery or Defender will be my next truck... whenever that might be... I know they are temperamental, but that is what makes them fun