PDA

View Full Version : Cooper AT3 or Goodyear Silent Armor for the Winter?

jpchurch34
November 13th, 2012, 06:43 PM
Looking for a good tire for mostly on-road. I have the OEM BFGoodrich Mud Terrain TA 275/55R17. Looking for something that wears better, does really well in the Michigan winter but still can do off-road in them summer. Although I will probably put the BFgoodrich back on in the Spring. THey only have 11,000 miles on them.
I really like the Cooper AT3 but the GY Silent Armor is rated for winter weather (severe weather emblem) so that is very important to me.
Or do i just get a Cooper Discoverer M+S or Blizzak for the winters?:banghead:

I am leaning toward the GY Silent Armor mainly because they are snow rated but the Cooper AT3 is probably quieter and reviewers say they are good in the snow too.

Your experience? Your opinion?

hemrides
November 13th, 2012, 07:59 PM
I have the GYSA and love them. They ride smooth are good in snow and on the trails. I use my TJ for a DD. I will put these on my wife's JK when it needs new tires.. They also have the Kevlar liner in them.

Dave

Cable810
November 13th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Grabber AT2 is what I'm running! They have the snoflake symbol and are M+S rated too!

jpchurch34
November 14th, 2012, 12:15 PM
How many miles on them? Wear well? Quiet?

hemrides
November 14th, 2012, 05:12 PM
I have 40,500 on the GYSA. I will get at least 50K on them before I need new ones. I had them installed in May, 2008.

Dave

phittie1100
November 14th, 2012, 06:04 PM
I know it wasn't one of your options, but after 100k on my BFG ATs (47k on one set, 45k on 2nd, working on a third set) on my Jeep I still can't find any reason to switch to a different all-purpose tire.

DDS4X4
November 14th, 2012, 09:49 PM
I am on my third set of Cooper Discoverer.
First were ST and have been retired this year, probably 55+K on them.
Second were STT and are my current daily driver set, probably 40+K on them.
Third set are STT and just installed in September for Trails and winter, with 5K so far.
All ten are mounted on stock WJ wheels and I switch between the daily driver set when not any plans for Trails and back to the Trails set when scheduled to run Trails and during Winter season. They all ride and perform well in any season and on any surface.
Cooper offers FREE rotation so I just have them install the entire wheel/tire when I rotate between Trail tires and Daily Driver tires.
I AM a satisfied owner!

Coyote Red
November 15th, 2012, 02:46 AM
I know it wasn't one of your options, but after 100k on my BFG ATs (47k on one set, 45k on 2nd, working on a third set) on my Jeep I still can't find any reason to switch to a different all-purpose tire.

Maybe the are better in lighter load rating but the three sets of load e tires I have seen/delt with have all bulged in the tread when they become worn down.

fishyOO7
November 15th, 2012, 01:06 PM
I liked the stock JK BFG tires. They do well in the winter. I had them on my JK (I got 60,000 miles out of them) and now have them on my WJ. Good all around tire for what they are. But I also don't have room for a spare set of tires in my garage.

lpm606
November 18th, 2012, 03:44 PM
We had the Silent Armor AT's on Julie's Liberty. We loved them - great street tires, did well for snow, and great performance off-road. We were very happy with them.

jpchurch34
November 19th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Thanks for all of the insights. I recently learned I could get my BF Goodrich Mud Terrain's siped. Discount Tire does the sipping. Apparently that improves traction in wet conditions. I also had not realized the BFG's I already have on there are "M+S" which apparently means mud and snow. So maybe these stock tires will do well in the snow.

jpchurch34
November 30th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Ended up getting 255/75 Bridgestone Blizzak for the winter. Putting the BFG Mud TA back on in the spring. So far these snow tires are very quiet and smooth in comparison. Jeep actually can coast now, whereas with the other tires the second you left off the gas it would practically come to a stop! I swear I get at least 1 or 2 MPG improvement.

lgottler
November 30th, 2012, 10:05 PM
Best snow/ice tires I've found were any street treaded tire that had a lot of siping. I've run my Goodyear gsa's for snowfari past 3 years without any stucks, but last year I was forced to groove the wear bars because they were in the way. I like to run them just to show and see what a stocker can do.

I air my wife's tires down to 25 in the winter which seems to help traction (but not wear).

Hope the tires work good! And I hope for a ton of snow this winter for "testing"!