PDA

View Full Version : **** The Official SnoFari ver 7.0 thread****

Kixx007
October 18th, 2012, 02:35 PM
For those who can't view image at work the dates are January 25th-27th, 2013

Replying to this thread does not guarantee you a spot at SnoFari. You must send in your registration postmarked no sooner than November 1st, 2012

If you have never heard of SnoFari before, here is some information;

SnoFari is a family oriented Winter trail-ride that takes place on state land in and around the West Branch, Mi area. It is open to all makes and models of licensed four-wheel drive vehicles. We host a banquet dinner on Saturday night and give away TONS of awesome prizes during the raffle. The event is sanctioned by the Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association.

2013 SnoFari Registration Form (https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B0lP-Gfwf0xtWmFZbTk2VFFwTnc)

MrsRedRuby
October 18th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Love the artwork. Is that what is going to be on the shirts? Will the registration forms be available soon?

jpchurch34
October 19th, 2012, 11:45 AM
My wife and I are planning to attend!

Renegade II
October 24th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Hotel reservations made as of last weekends pre-run :woot:

Creative Fab
October 25th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Pool side room booked!

fsumotorhead
October 26th, 2012, 07:11 AM
Room booked, Can't wait!

Kixx007
October 30th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Love the artwork. Is that what is going to be on the shirts? Will the registration forms be available soon?

Unfortunately the artwork in the flyer will not appear on the shirts. I just posted the form! Just in time to get them out Thursday morning!

lgottler
October 31st, 2012, 09:31 PM
Can anyone tell me if the GLFWDA meeting is on Friday or Saturday? Trying to plan it to see if I need a room or not.

phittie1100
November 1st, 2012, 07:09 AM
Friday like last year, sandwiched between the afternoon runs and night runs/late registration

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Petsan
November 2nd, 2012, 01:22 PM
Room booked, patiently waiting to see if we made the cut!

Renegade II
November 3rd, 2012, 09:57 PM
SnoFari is officially sold out!!!

Greenway
November 3rd, 2012, 10:39 PM
Crap. 3 days?

oz97tj
November 3rd, 2012, 11:25 PM
Technically couldn't one say one day seeing as mail is a 2 day process?

Renegade II
November 3rd, 2012, 11:28 PM
Crap. 3 days?

Yup, guessing all the apps got mailed in on opening day! Just over 11 weeks away. Get your rigs ready!!!

fsumotorhead
November 5th, 2012, 09:58 AM
So out of the 87 apps sent on Nov 1st, how many were GLFWDA members?

StingRay66
November 5th, 2012, 10:33 AM
So out of the 87 apps sent on Nov 1st, how many were GLFWDA members?

Yea I was thinkin that GLFWDA and UFWDA members should get priority cause we are already doing our part to support the sport and without the people in these clubs there would be little or no trails. ....My two cents...

Alboy79
November 5th, 2012, 10:45 AM
LoL

fsumotorhead
November 5th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Yea I was thinkin that GLFWDA and UFWDA members should get priority cause we are already doing our part to support the sport and without the people in these clubs there would be little or no trails. ....My two cents...

I was asking not because i think it should be limited to GLFWDA members, or given them priority.

I was asking because it is a GLFWDA sanctioned event, just wondering what the % of participants is that are GLFWDA members.

I'm not sure if i'm a fan of giving priority to GLFWDA members, how else would one be exposed to a sanctioned event if membership was a prerequisite. Personally I decieded to join GLFWDA last year right after attending my second snoFari.

WhiteRhino
November 5th, 2012, 02:19 PM

On the other hand it could be argued that this is the incentive to get MORE people involved with GLFWDA.

Greenway
November 5th, 2012, 06:09 PM

I agree.

Kixx007
November 5th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Every single person is a GLFWDA member. You have to be to go on the trail ride. :poke:

I can give you an answer later. Unfortunately priority will not be given to GLFWDA members this year. However that is something we've talked about and possibly could be seen next year.

Petsan
November 5th, 2012, 10:30 PM
Unfortunately priority will not be given to GLFWDA members this year. However that is something we've talked about and possibly could be seen next year.[/QUOTE]

But that doesn't help me this year! Hahahahaha. Still hope we make the cut!

Crazygrady127
November 6th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Yeah I understand why it shouldn't be only for GLFWDA paying members because I wasn't a paying member until after the Snofari last year , and I thought to myself that with out the GLFWDA we wouldn't be able to enjoy the trails like we do , and that's when I became a paying member to know I was doing something to support the sport !! So if you don't allow non members to go to events like this and have a chance to go to a GLFWDA meeting and enjoy themselves , and come to realize how much the GLFWDA does for them , then the GLFWDA would never grow !! I will see you guys at the meeting again this year !! -Grady-

Sent from BlackBerry using Tapatalk

fsumotorhead
November 7th, 2012, 08:47 AM
So what was the final precentage?

lgottler
November 7th, 2012, 10:22 AM
I'm thinking an event like this is designed for people not joined as a yearly member. I am trying to bring someone green with me so damage isn't done to their vehicle, only mine.

phittie1100
November 7th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Lucas are you suggesting that we don't provide a safe environment for new wheelers? Doug and I try very hard to provide a dent-free "stockers group" option, and other than a couple of Nissan Xterras, a Dodge Dakota, and a handful of Jeeps I thought we had done pretty good....

OK maybe not as good of a track record as I thought :slap:

Renegade II
November 7th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Dan & I can't even provide a dent free pre run, haha!

landj
November 7th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Dan & I can't even provide a dent free pre run, haha!

lol

oz97tj
November 8th, 2012, 01:26 AM
You guys do it wrong. Last year my run was way more technical than even I had planned and nobody got damage. Well, except for my cracked hardtop, dented rocker, dented rest corner, and some busted plastic parts

Leaders don't count though as I was showing everyone what not to do.

Crazygrady127
November 8th, 2012, 02:59 AM
Actually phittie it gets layed out real nice , it says right on whatever sheet (group) you sign up for , it tells you what to expect , and if you still don't know that's all you have to do is ask the trail guide and they will let them know what their in for !!

phittie1100
November 8th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Actually phittie it gets layed out real nice , it says right on whatever sheet (group) you sign up for , it tells you what to expect , and if you still don't know that's all you have to do is ask the trail guide and they will let them know what their in for !!

LOL - the best part about Internet forums is that you can't see my tongue firmly implanted in my cheek while I am typing, or know that sarcasm is one of my favorite forms of humor.

I am one of the trail leaders! We always advertise our group as the "safest" and appropriate for stock vehicles or nearly stock vehicles, since my sweep Doug and I both drive well-equipped but mostly stock vehicles.

And like JR, I always make sure to bounce off the tree first to test it before sending any of my group into it. Likewise, if someone has to slide off the trail it might as well be me as an example of what not to do.

Alboy79
November 8th, 2012, 01:09 PM
I wanted to reply as well, but figured if he missed sarcasm the first time I better not add on more.:lmao:

Crazygrady127
November 8th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Haha , ok ok , I get it , I was just reading to fast and not really paying attention , lol !!

Renegade II
November 8th, 2012, 10:20 PM
..... On the other hand is our run. We state right on the sign up sheet (and to those that ask) to expect scratches, with dents and driveline damage very possible.

On a side note, I'm glad to see that working CB radios are REQUIRED this year!

Crazygrady127
November 9th, 2012, 04:30 AM
That is good to make that a must have (WORKING CB) , that is half the fun right there !! Plus just knowing what is happening within your group at all times , like last year on the hills which were all ice and getting the all clear , or the no go , (or the get out of the way I'm sliding back down at 30 mph out of control) lol !! I personally don't know how guys/gals can do without a CB when wheeling in a group ??

oz97tj
November 10th, 2012, 12:12 AM
Get a Ham and you'll never want to talk on or hear a CB ever again.

lgottler
November 10th, 2012, 02:04 PM
cb's are good unless people abuse them. Mine stays turned low unless I need or think I need it. Define working cb. As in works in the parking lot 30 feet away but not on the trail past two vehicles?

oz97tj
November 10th, 2012, 04:45 PM
It should work from front of group to back in a reasonably sized group. With a group of 10 rigs, in a heavily wooded and hilly area, that is a good range for a tuned CB. They can sometimes do better, but a basic tuned set up should be able to get this distance fairly easily except when a big hill seperates the front and the back of the pack.

Crazygrady127
November 10th, 2012, 11:31 PM
cb's are good unless people abuse them. Mine stays turned low unless I need or think I need it. Define working cb. As in works in the parking lot 30 feet away but not on the trail past two vehicles?

Lol , no Working CB as in a tuned setup , and being able to hear everyone in the group !!

Renegade II
November 11th, 2012, 09:26 AM
The latest higher end CB's are much better than the squawk boxes of years ago. I put a new CB in last year and can't believe the difference. Much better noise reduction, built in SWR, dynamic, etc... It's a good compliment to my multi-band and gets plenty of use.

fsumotorhead
November 12th, 2012, 08:21 AM
Get a Ham and you'll never want to talk on or hear a CB ever again.

I have a ham, but also have a softspot for listening to AM.

The latest higher end CB's are much better than the squawk boxes of years ago. I put a new CB in last year and can't believe the difference. Much better noise reduction, built in SWR, dynamic, etc... It's a good compliment to my multi-band and gets plenty of use.

I've not used any of the "new" ones, seems alot have hit the market in the last few years. Buying a quality CB has always been better than a cheapo.

No matter what CB, cheap or expensive, if it doesn't have a tuned antenna, it isn't worth crap.

oz97tj
November 12th, 2012, 10:19 PM
No matter what CB, cheap or expensive, if it doesn't have a tuned antenna, it isn't worth crap.

That is the absolute truth. Without the antenna set up, you might as well have your head stuck out the window yelling at each other.

Nvrenuf
November 13th, 2012, 08:04 PM
So, I guess I have been lucky so far. How do I tune the CB and antenna?

Petsan
November 13th, 2012, 09:46 PM
So, I guess I have been lucky so far. How do I tune the CB and antenna?

With a SWR meter, not really necessary for trail riding in my mind. Unless you get lost!

oz97tj
November 14th, 2012, 12:01 AM
With a SWR meter, not really necessary for trail riding in my mind. Unless you get lost!

How do you figure it's not necessary? That is exactly when it is necessary. Sure, sometimes just plugging everything in gets you close and you can use it, but often times a untuned antenna won't even allow you to talk to a vehicle 20 ft away. Not to mention an untuned antenna can actually damage your radio as well.

As simple as tuning an antenna is, there is no excuse not to do it. A simple 15 dollar tool (SWR meter) plugs in between the radio and the antenna and tells you the SWR. Some fiddling with the tip of the antenna, and sometimes grounding the antenna, is all thats needed to make it perform very well. Last year at SnoFari, I tuned a few of them right in the parking lot before the runs.

Petsan
November 14th, 2012, 10:45 AM
That is why I said in my mind!

lgottler
November 14th, 2012, 11:48 PM
Tonight I took another look at my gnarly offroad tires I ran the last few years. I think I found another part of the wear bar that can be precision grooved with my circular saw. Still not dry rotted and holding air so ready to bolt on in January!

Crazygrady127
November 20th, 2012, 06:46 PM
Last year I bought an adjustable fire stick , and being able to adjust the antenna helped with tuning it right in , plus paying attention to where the bracket gets mounted so the antenna is the right height to begin with helps !! But the SWR meter "Tuner" was what made it possible to know where to set everything !! I also put a spring (stiff) on it so I knew I wouldn't snap the tip off when we got into the tight stuff !!, rightchannelradio.com is cheap and easy to order from , there isn't really anywhere to go for CB stuff anymore , accept truck stops , and they are expensive !!

oz97tj
November 21st, 2012, 12:01 AM
The truck stop in Bridgeport (TA I think) is actually fairly reasonably priced. They also carry Wilson Flex antennas which are awesome for wheeling.

hemrides
November 21st, 2012, 07:30 AM
I have the tuneable flex ant on my TJ...I dialed it in on my swr. I thought I was not transmitting as no one would answer me if I requested a radio check. I had my wife use my handheld. I was able to get 2 miles, as the crow flies, from home. She was inside the house when we did this test, so I was pleased with the results.

Renegade II
November 21st, 2012, 10:58 AM
The truck stop in Bridgeport (TA I think) is actually fairly reasonably priced. They also carry Wilson Flex antennas which are awesome for wheeling.

I got my Wilson adjustable flex from there for no more than cost and shipping from online guys. I put it on a spring too. Knock on wood it hasn't been torn off yet! Got a good dual band spring base antenna from Diamond and that survived the last year and a half also!

landj
November 23rd, 2012, 01:07 PM
My brother gave me some web sites to check out. [copper.com] [h&yelectronics.com]

Renegade II
November 25th, 2012, 06:54 PM
60 days until SnoFari!!!!!

Renegade II
December 3rd, 2012, 08:45 PM
52 days to go!

Crazygrady127
December 6th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Friday like last year, sandwiched between the afternoon runs and night runs/late registration
Hey just making plans on what time I'm going to be rolling in up there on Friday , the GLFWDA meeting was around 4 o'clock last year if I remember correctly , so plan on around the same time this year as well ??

fsumotorhead
December 7th, 2012, 08:30 AM
I'm hoping to be there for a Friday day run this year :woot:

Renegade II
December 7th, 2012, 09:47 AM
If all goes as planned Dan & I will be up on Thursday and have an early Friday run like last year.

phittie1100
December 7th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Hey just making plans on what time I'm going to be rolling in up there on Friday , the GLFWDA meeting was around 4 o'clock last year if I remember correctly , so plan on around the same time this year as well ??

5pm on Friday for the GLFWDA meeting

Crazygrady127
December 8th, 2012, 12:13 AM
5pm on Friday for the GLFWDA meeting
Thank you sir !!

Renegade II
December 9th, 2012, 08:38 PM
46 days to go.....

Crazygrady127
December 11th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Unfortunately the artwork in the flyer will not appear on the shirts. I just posted the form! Just in time to get them out Thursday morning!
Hey Kixx , are you designing the shirts this year ? Do you know what color they will be ?? I know someone had asked that question somewhere and maybe it was answered on GL4X4 but I may have missed it ?? Just wondering -thanks- !!

Renegade II
December 15th, 2012, 10:30 PM
40 days to go

Ms.ZJ
December 16th, 2012, 09:05 AM
So jealous of all who are attending this event.

Renegade II
January 3rd, 2013, 07:29 AM

fsumotorhead
January 12th, 2013, 01:18 PM
In need of a L GLFWDA short sleeve T shirt, is anyone bringing any to Snofari?

Renegade II
January 12th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Getting real close.....

Hope I get everything ready in time!

hemrides
January 19th, 2013, 10:23 AM
If someone thinks of it can they create a GPS track of the trails you take and post it after the rides. :idea:

Thanks,
Dave

phittie1100
January 19th, 2013, 11:11 PM

I will have a box of store goodies available Friday night only.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

shawn
January 20th, 2013, 11:12 AM
If someone thinks of it can they create a GPS track of the trails you take and post it after the rides. :idea:

Thanks,
Dave

Kind of a bad idea. We get allowed through our DNR Permits to run trails that we typically are not allowed on (but also argumentative). But, most all ORV Route GPS Track can now be downloaded from the DNR's website, if you look up the maps there are icons on the map that will allow you to save the GPS Track.

fsumotorhead
January 20th, 2013, 12:48 PM
I will have a box of store goodies available Friday night only.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
At/after the meeting?

If you bring some short sleeve shirts, I'll defiantly take one.

hemrides
January 20th, 2013, 04:17 PM
I was going to post on google earth like I did the Troll fall run so folks could have the tracks. I use VVMapping software I have all the maps I need.

oz97tj
January 20th, 2013, 04:44 PM
Even more of a bad idea. Having the maps to yourself knowing the issues surrounding them is one thing but putting them out for the general public to see anddownload themselves not knowing many of them aren't legal just sets people up for failure.

Renegade II
January 20th, 2013, 08:40 PM
Kind of a bad idea. We get allowed through our DNR Permits to run trails that we typically are not allowed on (but also argumentative). But, most all ORV Route GPS Track can now be downloaded from the DNR's website, if you look up the maps there are icons on the map that will allow you to save the GPS Track.

Even more of a bad idea. Having the maps to yourself knowing the issues surrounding them is one thing but putting them out for the general public to see anddownload themselves not knowing many of them aren't legal just sets people up for failure.

X3 on the above. If we hadn't been able to provide our event info and verify we were leading a run for SnoFari, a C.O. we ran into was ready to burn out about a dozen tickets to our group. If the 'permit only' tracks get out there, that may lead to inadvertant illegal use, trail damage and no one ever getting permission to use them again.

hemrides
January 20th, 2013, 11:09 PM
OK...didn't know some of the trails are only allowed for this event.

Renegade II
January 20th, 2013, 11:19 PM
OK...didn't know some of the trails are only allowed for this event.
The DNR can be nice once and a while :-) haha

Jeeperz-Creeperz
January 22nd, 2013, 06:41 PM

I have most of the GLFWDA clothing here at the store, which isn't that far from Flat Rock if you'd like to pick something up.

Deathdealer
January 29th, 2013, 04:15 PM
Thanks everyone for making SnoFari a success again this year!!

lgottler
January 29th, 2013, 07:25 PM
Good times. You guys do a great job, almost looked like you knew what you were doing! Lol!

Crazygrady127
January 30th, 2013, 06:15 PM
Good times indeed !!