PDA

View Full Version : Gitchee Gumee Revisited

kb8ymf
May 29th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Actually I would call it more of an exploration run than an actual event, which is why it's here.
I'm tossing the idea out there to see if there is any interest.
Probably planning the last weekend in September. Which may be the busiest because of 'other groups', but it doesn't get into bear season for that area.
I'll check into that more as the date gets closer.
Will stay @ Blueberry from 22nd to the 30th.
My runs will consist of exploring some of the lesser travelled trails we used to know of and see what new logging / skidder trails have been put in recently.
Much of that stuff is up by Batchawana River and Chippewa River and the trails leading into the bush.
No overnight runs are planned at this time. This is a just a relaxing exploration run.
If you're interested please post up.
Jim-kb8ymf

WhiteRhino
May 29th, 2012, 09:14 PM
A simple 2wd trip through the woods when the color is on sounds great. We might be up for a 3 or 4 day weekend.

Kixx007
May 29th, 2012, 09:19 PM
A simple 2wd trip through the woods when the color is on sounds great. We might be up for a 3 or 4 day weekend.

I am for sure going now!

oz97tj
May 30th, 2012, 03:17 PM
I'd love to go. Currently, there is some discussion of a run with the bikes around that time though so not sure if I'd be able to make this or not. Then again, if it is the same time, we could always meet up with the bikes too...

WhiteRhino
May 31st, 2012, 06:45 AM
It's pretty hard to pedal up there.....

fsumotorhead
May 31st, 2012, 06:52 AM
I'd like some more info as it gets closer. Currently I was planning a run to Drummond for late September, but might check this out.

DDS4X4
May 31st, 2012, 08:26 PM
We'll be wheeling with friends at the same time and about the same latitude, only about 850 miles to your East. Hope to see some GREAT scenery and wildlife opportunities in Maine.
Sorry to miss this opportunity, I am looking forward to another excursion Up North of the Soo, sometime.
Hope your plans for NO trail overnights works this time!

kb8ymf
June 1st, 2012, 05:08 PM
I'd like some more info as it gets closer. Currently I was planning a run to Drummond for late September, but might check this out.

Not sure what you're looking for on info. We camp @ Blueberry. We leave to explore trails each morning around 9:00 to 10:00, eat lunch on the trail usually along side a river if possible. Arrive back @ camp around 4:00 to 6:00, build fire, eat dinner and down a few cold ones chatting around the campfire. No plans for any overnight runs unless someone breaks real bad and we get tied up in a rescue repair operation. The last thing I want to do is sleep on the hard ground with a nice soft bed at home.
Exploring the trails will involve staring at maps and taking trails that look both interesting on the map and look promising when we pass them in the woods.
As I indicated we'll take some of the major roads that are connector trails to see where the new logging is being done and what skidder trails might be left over from the operations. We typically gather the logging operations info from the local business owners.

For those who have gone to both D.I. and Canada will recognize the difference. It's hard to explain Canada except it's literally in the middle of NOWHERE! That's why as we get closer we'll (I) will prod the potential attendees with a few vehicle condition questions.
Vehicles in need or repair do not belong coming on this run. Carrying extra fuel if you vhicle is a gas guzzler is an absolute requirement. Tires can't be bald. Rear locker I suspect will be highly recommended.
If you have any specific questins, ask away,
jim-kb8ymf

oz97tj
June 1st, 2012, 05:46 PM
It's pretty hard to pedal up there.....

Im a fatty. Its not pedal powered. Lol

Did I mention I really want to come on this run yet?

lgottler
June 1st, 2012, 07:04 PM
I'll have to give a maybe. I'm heading to Alaska for a week bike trip in August, so back to back trips might not work for me.

kb8ymf
June 1st, 2012, 10:12 PM
I'll have to give a maybe. I'm heading to Alaska for a week bike trip in August, so back to back trips might not work for me.

I assume you're going to see Brian.....Tell him I said hi!
j-kb8ymf

lgottler
June 4th, 2012, 10:28 PM
I assume you're going to see Brian.....Tell him I said hi!
j-kb8ymf

Yeah I am going to see him. He will probably show us around up there. I'll tell him the GLFWDA guys haven't forgotten him!

shawn
June 8th, 2012, 12:04 PM
I might just have to make this trip.

timbercruiser
June 21st, 2012, 02:31 PM
My schedule is open. Plus, I get to test the new lift!!

Renegade II
July 5th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Working that weekend. Besides that, if all goes well it looks like I might possibly have the Jeep, Hummer & trailer sold as a package deal after we get back from SL :)

kb8ymf
July 5th, 2012, 03:19 PM
WOW..............leaving the sport?

Renegade II
July 5th, 2012, 09:36 PM
WOW..............leaving the sport?

In reply to a passing comment, I stated what it would take to get me out of it all and someone took interest. I'm also selling a nice duplex in Saginaw Twp if anyone is interested :)

WhiteRhino
July 5th, 2012, 10:22 PM
Keeping the scrambler?

Renegade II
July 6th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Keeping the scrambler?

The metal one is getting stripped down for parts for the glass one to go together someday. I've got a 79 Ford pickup pushing around 800 HP that's going away also. I'm trying to be 100% debt / mortgage free within the year to open up career options.

300Grand
July 22nd, 2012, 07:27 PM
Is this a near stock Rubicon and/or a lifted and rear locked ZJ could do?

kb8ymf
August 15th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Just bringing back to the top so no one whines when they want to go but missed the discussion
Sept 26-30, Blueberry Hill Motel and campground.
Laid back exploration run to Canada. No promises except we will have fun and we will have a campfire.
jim-kb8ymf

WhiteRhino
August 15th, 2012, 09:38 PM
We're now 60/40 for Thursday/ Friday.

kb8ymf
August 22nd, 2012, 11:13 PM
Looking for a head count.
Right now its myself @ 100%, The rest have expressed an interest in the posts. JK @ 70-80%, Big Bird, Timbercruiser 60%, Danimal out, Lowlock, Chevotsss, Eric99TJ, Kixx007(maybe), Shawn, 300Grand

jim-kb8ymf

timbercruiser
August 23rd, 2012, 02:44 PM
60% chance right now.

landj
September 6th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Wife and I at 100%.

WhiteRhino
September 6th, 2012, 08:46 PM
See you there.

WhiteRhino
September 15th, 2012, 08:08 AM
2 weeks away. Any last takers?

Friday will be about 150 miles.
Saturday closer to 100.

lgottler
September 15th, 2012, 02:04 PM
I mentioned it again to the wife and was shot down at the word "Can I..."

timbercruiser
September 17th, 2012, 08:37 AM
Work changed (yes, I work sometimes) so I'm out. FInd some good trails, eh?

JerryD
September 17th, 2012, 01:28 PM
I mentioned it again to the wife and was shot down at the word "Can I..."

Rookie mistake. You should've started with "Wow, those jeans look great on you! Oh, by the way..."

Sent from an undisclosed location...

timbercruiser
October 1st, 2012, 09:05 AM
Pics? Report? Damage?

WhiteRhino
October 1st, 2012, 09:33 AM
Pics will be on gl4x4
Report, it was a great trip, great color, great people.
Damage, none worth mentioning.

phittie1100
October 18th, 2012, 07:52 AM
Hey Jim M - nice teaser article in e-News!

Evil Queen
October 18th, 2012, 10:57 AM
No pics here? I don't go on GL4x4 very often. I thought the Gitchee Gomee trip was a GLFWDA thing?

Kixx007
October 18th, 2012, 02:29 PM
No pics here? I don't go on GL4x4 very often. I thought the Gitchee Gomee trip was a GLFWDA thing?

This wasn't Gitchee Gumee. It was an exploration trip, with hopes of trying to bring Gitchee Back. Since probably 90% or more of the people on the trip frequent GL4X4 more than they frequent this site and the picture thread was started over there. Since you clearly are making it obvious you don't want to spend two seconds going on and looking for the pictures I will help you out.

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=246575

WhiteRhino
October 18th, 2012, 05:54 PM

I guess one would wonder why the president of UFWDA started a thread over there and had more dialog there than here. All planning was done in that thread. Why don't you ask him?:blahblah: I don't know how many people were GLFWDA members versus non members and frankly, don't care. :banghead: I went because Jim asked me, not because it had anything to do with GLFWDA. I think the important part was that it was a great trip.:thumb:

Evil Queen
October 18th, 2012, 09:43 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to ruffle feathers. I certainly didn't mean anything, just asking. I really did think it was a GLFWDA event. Sorry. Really sorry. I apologize. Glad you all had a good trip.