View Full Version : well joe kinda beat me to it TIRE questions

Bult4mud
February 12th, 2006, 07:13 PM
What do you feel are the best tires for general wheelin, and driving ect

I wheel all in michigan so far and i drive my rig to the trail head, I run 35 inch trxus right now and i love them but they are getting a lil worn soo im considering new tires

35 inch trxus
"" SSR's
36" Irok radials
35" Krawlers

whadda think and why

WhiteRhino
February 12th, 2006, 07:27 PM
I have no experience with the Trxus so no comment.
I have seen some vehicles do really poorly with Swampers and others perform really well. I know the SSR's do really well & maybe the ones that struggled were standard swampers. Others will comment better than me.

I have seen Iroks perform really well from 36" up to the 39.5's. I think they were all the bias rather than radials. For my book, they are a great all around tire. The only question is how well they wear on the road.

I have 35" Krawlers. They have worked well in just about all conditions. I have to admit that they are no better in sand than Ironman's ssr's or 95geo's Iroks. They clean out really well in the mud. I have over 2 years on them with very little tread wear but I trailer to the trails. They are heavy and expensive. Would I buy them again? Since the Iroks were not out at the time I bough them, if looking back, I would buy them again. Now, I would consider Iroks.

It all comes down to a personal opinion.

JohnnyJ
February 12th, 2006, 07:54 PM
To Jim's comment: I covered a lot of trails when my TJ was on 33 Swampers, and Haines ran his 38 Swampers for years and it did great, too. Bother were bias tires, and neither were a good road tire.

I don't have any experience with the tires on the list, but I know my pocket book would not like burning through a set of Krawlers with road driving. For Jim's setup where he trailers, I think they are sweet. I've been impressed the times I've seen him run.

I run bias Iroks and love them for the performance per dollar, but I wouldn't consider them an on-road tire. Not sure how the radial Iroks compare to bias. Like any bias, they are pretty lumpy after sitting. Not sure how'd they'd wear, mine only see trail use and the occassional trip to the party store on back roads. They seem to ride fine for being on a beadlock rim. I paid less for new Iroks than what I could find for used Krawlers, so they fit the budget quite well.

95geo
February 12th, 2006, 07:55 PM
i'd suggest something similar to what you have now..... toyo open counrty m/t?, bfg m/t?, nitto mud grappler?, pro comp x terrain?, baja claw or mtz?, ssr?, mt/r?

my recommendations would be the x terrain or ssr if you dont feel like getting the same thing over again

Nvrenuf
February 12th, 2006, 08:59 PM
I have the SSRs, 33x12.50. It's not my daily driver but they would do fine. They balance nice, they're holding up well wear wise. I bought them used so I can't give an accurate mileage. The only downfall seems to me is their $$ cost.

Roadhouse
February 12th, 2006, 11:43 PM
I'm in the same boat right now Jim....trying to figure what tires to buy.

About a couple of above comments........Ironman has SX's not SSR's(not a biggy). Everything I have read about the Xterrains people say the suck in the mud. But I haven't personally ran a set, just read about them.

My next set of tires will be 37" TrXus or 37" Iroks(bias). Which set I get will depend on home much road driving I plan on doing with the Jeep.

Roadhouse
February 13th, 2006, 01:11 AM
Coopers are too new to really know how there are, not sure If anyone has them yet. I did check on a price for them the other day, but they are more than TrXus so I don't think I will run them.

And like I said Tim, I don't have any first hand experience with Xterrians....don't know anyone with them, never seen them on a trailride. I just know the bad comments I've read online.

joe_jeep
February 13th, 2006, 08:02 AM
i used to run 33 in swamper tsl bias plys. great on the trail, awful on the road. i could spin em from a 30 roll on wet pavement. sideways around every corner with the detroit locker in the rain. but loved em on the trail. i went to a 35 in goodyear mtr. love em on the road, worked good on the trail, but blow hard in the mud. got my first stuck with them on. they load up real bad and dont clean out at all! got about 25,000 miles on them bout 1/3 to 1/2 tread left. but i dont street my jeep any more except dream cruise weekend. so im gonna go with a 14.5/38.5/15 swamper sx bias ply. road manners matter no more, and i like to play in the mud, so its the tire of choice cause i think boggers r ugly. just put toyo open country at's on my super duty tow rig(305/70/16 load range "e") i like em, real quiet, good road manners, good in dirt,havent had em in mud yet but i suspect they wouldnt do well. and about the cooper stt petersons raved about them in the tire test review, said they wouldnt give em back, and reccomended them highly!
if your gonna wheel alot go more agressive (swamper ssr), if u only get out 2 or 3 times a year go more road friendly(cooper stt,toyo open country at) whatever u do go radial, not bias unless its strictly trail truck good luck!

Jeeperz-Creeperz
February 13th, 2006, 09:13 AM
I would say if you liked the Trxus then run them again. I run the 33's on my ZJ DD.

Or, the SSR's are a pretty durable tire that works well on the road.

I don't have any experience with the Iroks or Krawlers.

lgottler
February 14th, 2006, 06:57 PM
I like tire posts!

Between the Goodyear MTR, BFG MT km, TrXus MT....I really liked the TrXus MT, I had a 33x12.5r15. Did mud much better than my MTR's and seemed to grab and stick better than the BFG's did. Sidewall on the TrXus is just over 1/2" thick and the BFG was around 3/8" thick. If I ever had to drive more miles than I do now, I would probably end up with the TrXus MT's...did they start making over 35" tires yet?

I run 36" TSL Bias ply on my daily driver right now with detroits front and rear. I have no complaints about it driving, I just know I'm driving a should be trail only Jeep on the roads everyday! But offroad, I have no complaints, never had a stuck because the tires couldn't do it, always axle clearance or framed etc... Wear isn't bad as I thought either, I've only got about 15k on them over 2 years and they have about 3/4 tread left, but I'm kinda light for a D rated tire.

Lucas

Roadhouse
February 14th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Lucas, TrXus come in a 37x12.5 that is over 37" tall at 37.2"...plus they just released a 38.5x14.5 haven't seen one of those yet tho'.

Danno
February 28th, 2006, 10:42 PM
I am in the same boat- looking for a tire. I think for the price, I am going to go with the SSRs 35-12.5-15. I will be driving to the trails for the next year or so until I get a trailer so I need the on-road handling characteristics of the radials. I personally do not like Bias plys (had them a long time ago). I can ge this size SSR for around $200 a piece and this seems like a good price compared to the IROKs, or any others mentioned.

Good luck with your search.

DDS4X4
March 1st, 2006, 09:18 PM
Well I have run the Cooper ST for 3 years now. Since it is my wife's daily driver and we drive to all the trail rides I stayed away from the more aggressive STT, mainly for a concern for too much road noise. The ST have performed well and are wearing good. I probably have 30,000 miles and they are good to go off road for a couple of years yet. I think it makes a very good compromise when you have to use it for both types of driving.

Obviously, if you are looking for an off-road only tire, there are many better choices.