PDA

View Full Version : Hawse vs. Roller Fairleads

Greenway
March 18th, 2012, 06:25 PM
I have always seen hawse fairleads used with synthetic winch lines and roller fairleads used on wire rope.

Why?

Trail_Fanatic
March 18th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Rollers help guide the wire without the wire damaging the fairlead, while a rope will get caught at the end of the rollers and be damaged/cut by it so they recommend a hawse for rope.

gnjeepn
March 18th, 2012, 07:07 PM
You can use a steel or cast hawse fairlead with steel cable but it isn't recommended for synthetic rope. For synthetic you should use an aluminum fairlead. I have seen the poly roller conversions for using synthetic rope in a roller fairlead but not sure if they work real well. Seams the rope could still get hung up in the rollers. Probably wouldn't do any damage or do minimal damage to the rope.

Greenway
March 18th, 2012, 08:05 PM
I was just getting ready to switch to synthetic and wondered If I should buy a hawse or plastic rollers. Looks like a hawse.

BTW, Kris' Splicing website says he doesn't do winch lines any more due to supplier issues and other reasons. Anyone else know of a good GLFWDA friendly supplier for synthetic line? I want 125' of orange 5/16 line.

WhiteRhino
March 18th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Opie on gl4x4.

Greenway
March 18th, 2012, 08:45 PM
One and the same, Jim.

WhiteRhino
March 19th, 2012, 06:01 AM
Oh, didn't know that. My best suggestion is Dale at Ironman or Kevin Jeeperz Creeperz. Both excellent supporters of GLFWDA.

fishyOO7
March 19th, 2012, 08:04 AM
That is an interesting question. Because if you look at Warn's ATV winch line, they offer a synthetic rope with a steel roller fairlead... I like the idea of the aluminum hawse because of the weight savings.
I have used them all, really don't notice a difference in performance.

fsumotorhead
March 19th, 2012, 09:02 AM
What about the "plastic" hawse, are those any good?

It may not even be an issue, but i always wondered about the aluminum ones if they get damaged, seems they gould get gouged up on rocks pretty easy. I'm sure if it was damaged, it could be smoothed back out pretty easily, but sharp edges would eat up a rope pretty quick.

phittie1100
March 19th, 2012, 10:09 AM
I don't know about the plastic ones, but the aluminum hawse fairleads are fairly easy to polish and smooth out any rough spots.

fishyOO7
March 20th, 2012, 07:55 AM
I have not tried the plastic ones. But the point of the fairlead is to direct the rope onto the drum with smooth transitions. Assuming the plastic can take the forces that it would see, I don't see why it wouldn't work. My concern with the one from rockbuggysupply.com is the radius they put on the fairlead. You want as large of a radius as possible to reduce the stress in the rope when doing a non-straightline pull.

oz97tj
March 22nd, 2012, 03:17 PM
Opie just posted on facebook that he got his vendor issue sorted out so you may want to try him for your new rope.

Greenway
March 22nd, 2012, 07:28 PM
Dangit. I checked his webpage one last time tonight., found the "I aint doin it no more" message then ordered from masterpull.

I wanted orange anyway.