PDA

View Full Version : Tire question

ripp6957
February 17th, 2012, 10:42 AM
If you don't mind, I have a question about tire selection. I have a '97 Wrangler, lifted 4" and currently have 33x12.50x 15" Pro Comp Mud Terrain tires. I will be bringing this Jeep to the Munising,MI area and I'm thinking these tires won't be so good in the snow. We'll be living about 12 mi off the main road, so deep snow will be encountered. What size and tread pattern would be best for me to use? Any help will be appreciated! Thanks, Mark the fireman

fsumotorhead
February 17th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Skinny tires are better in the snow. M/T's aren't the best in the snow, but i've used them for years without trouble.

I would just get your existing tires seeped (sp?) at discount tire and run them.

WhiteRhino
February 17th, 2012, 04:26 PM
The term is siped. The skinny tire, wide tire debate continues on. For street use and plow trucks, narrow tires with agressive tread work well in snow where you need to dig down to the pavement or gravel. However, in deep snow, flotation is where it is at, and wider tires give you the necessary flotation. Especially if you air down appropriately as if you were running sand. In addition, a wider tire is usually taller, giving you additional ground clearance. I do not have personal experience with your Mud Terrains but I suspect you will do just fine if you air them down. Is this a vacation or permanent move? If vacation, it's not worth the money to change. If it's a personal move, time will tell.

oz97tj
February 17th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Siped your current tires and you'll be fine.

ripp6957
February 18th, 2012, 09:33 AM
OK, thanks. I've never heard of 'siping', but I'll try it. And this will be our permanent home. Anybody want to buy my house in Florida so we can get up to "Gods country" sooner? Please?????? LOL Mark the fireman

WhiteRhino
February 18th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Siping is the little slits in a tire and also in your tennis shoes. It was first developed by a butcher who figured out that if he had small slits in the rubber of his shoes that he wouldn't slip on the blood on the floor of the butcher shop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siping_(rubber)

lgottler
February 18th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Tire pressure. Have to say that.

Mud tires are the worst for snow. A good siped aggressive street tire would be my choice.

oz97tj
February 19th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Sipe them and be happy. It makes a huge difference.

sumpter1
February 22nd, 2012, 05:40 PM
Wow, FL to Munising, MI. That's a big change in climate and culture! The beaches up there are just like FL but the water is a little cooler. LOL

WhiteRhino
February 22nd, 2012, 09:47 PM
I have swam in Lake Superior on May 5th. (north side)