PDA

View Full Version : mig welder

ovr-ez
February 11th, 2006, 10:39 AM
I am looking to buy a mig welder this year and was wondering what everyone uses. I am only using it for lite fab and repairs. I have been looking at a Millermatic 175. The local welding shop quoted me for the just the welder 729.00 + tax. Is this good? It is the best around here.

lgottler
February 11th, 2006, 11:14 AM
The smallest one I use at work is a miller 185...we've overheated it a few times and melted the contacts once. But it would be an excellent choice for a garage, we use it for welding 1/4"-3/8" plate in production quantities, not exactly what it was made for! But for everything else it rocks. 220 with an optional spool gun, sweet!

Ridgerunner
February 11th, 2006, 02:28 PM
I have a Hobart 180. uses 30 amp 220 and will weld up to 5/16 @ 30% duty cycle. bought it at T S C for around $650 including the cart. I'm petty sure Miller makes Hobart. seems to work great.

Jeeperz-Creeperz
February 11th, 2006, 03:17 PM
It really depends what you want to do with it. You say light fab and repairs, but to what? the 175 would probably be fine for you until you start welding thicker metals or welding on axle housings.

I always recommend that you buy for what you might do - ever. If you think you might get into heavier stuff then you should probably buy something bigger now.

I have a 110V 120A machine that I use strictly for stainless (mostly exhaust) work. Then I have a Millermatic 251 I use for everything else.

Hobart is made by Miller and is usually less expensive than the Miller stuff. Lincoln also makes nice welders and the consumables are often times less than the Miller stuff.

Yetti
February 11th, 2006, 06:18 PM
I have a lincoln 255 and its set up with .035 wire. its about the smallest I use anymore I am just to hard on smaller machines. I ruined 2 smaller lincolns, I melted the liners to the handle core, they just don't take the heat and they were set up with .025 wire.

in my opinion the smaller machines are ok for 3/16" or less and not much of it. the duty cycle is what you have to look at on the machine you chose. it pays to do your home work.