PDA

View Full Version : Detailed Maps

sumpter1
January 5th, 2012, 12:23 PM
I recently discovered these map books at a library and they have more detail then any others that I have used. http://www.sportsmansconnection.com/

I have also used ones by Universal Map and Delorme.

StingRay66
January 5th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Ah yes I have one and I really like it also!

phittie1100
January 5th, 2012, 01:09 PM
I buy them at WalMart - they include lots of details on boating access points and restrictions for fishing, trailhead locations and amenities on the outdoor guides, etc. They also seem to do a pretty good job of updating them from time to time too.

Renegade II
January 5th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Somewhere around here I still have all of my grandfathers old map books and county quad maps of Mi from the 50's-70's. It's amazing how many trails the state has obliterated in the last 30-50 years.

Trail_Fanatic
January 5th, 2012, 05:40 PM
OMG!!!!
I'll pay you fair money for those if you're ever willing to part with them Renegade!!!!

I'm a vintage map collector for many reasons. #1 is to be able to PROVE various trails existence over time. We've saved a few NFS roads by pointing out that they've been mapped and driven since "fill in the blank". I remember one in the Savanna Ecosystem Project Area that was shown all the way back to 1877.

I also like looking at the changes in various areas over time.

The biggest problems collecting are DETAIL and AGE. There are a lot of 60s-80s CRC maps, but quad maps are hard to find. ANYTHING pre-dating the formation of the CRC's under the McNitt Act (early 30s) is also hard to find. I have a few, but my coverage of the state is spotty over time.

If you ever decide to part with them, let me know. I'll put them to good use!

2TrakR
January 7th, 2012, 05:21 PM
I have those for WI, bought when I first started mapping that State's motorized recreation system. Their motorized trails were obscenely "off". Road information was not bad.
Have not seen a MI edition to have an opinion.

sumpter1
February 5th, 2012, 09:24 PM
The wife and I normally travel with two map books and two gps units. We really like getting off the beaten path and looking for something different to see.

shawn
February 5th, 2012, 10:30 PM
UofM has a pretty large map library. I may be able to get some maps from back in the day of trails and Forest Roads.