PDA

View Full Version : how to pull someone out of the ditch

timbercruiser
November 18th, 2011, 06:57 PM
So winter will be here soon, and it's time to pull people out of the ditch. I think it would be a good idea for someone near a TV station to do a little on-camera demonstration of proper techniques to attach straps (NOT CHAINS!) to stuck vehicles.

Renegade II
November 19th, 2011, 06:55 AM
Latch onto someone around these parts within a roads right of way and you'd better have a yellow light and a wrecker plate. Heavily enforced here.

Jarhead
November 19th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Latch onto someone around these parts within a roads right of way and you'd better have a yellow light and a wrecker plate. Heavily enforced here.
Interesting, the State Trooper I assisted out of the median a few years ago never mentioned a word (he had been there a while).

Rocky
November 22nd, 2011, 04:26 PM

Although I have never been harassed from law enforcement for pulling someone out of a ditch with my 4x4 P.U. ,I've been very selective for the last 10 years or so in who/where I might pull somebody out at.

I've heard some of the horror stories before & some of the legal ramifications that can occur from something like this IF something went wrong.

Just some food for thought!

Water buffalo
November 29th, 2011, 05:03 AM
I once pulled out one of my City's police cars. And they were very nice and thanked me so much I don't get any flack when I ride my ATV down the street to plow my drives that I do . It is to bad that there can't be some kinda training for pulling car's trucks or ATV'S out of a ditch. I tried getting someone from Warn or one other Company's for our ATV club I seen a lot of wrong ways that people have used ATV winches getting them self unstuck just my two cents .

computeruser
December 5th, 2011, 09:57 PM

Stupid question, but why would anyone care?

Renegade II
December 6th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Stupid question, but why would anyone care?

John Q. Public's Jeep, pickup or SUV are not authorized emergency vehicles under state law. How many of you carry around the proper DOT certified T hooks or J hooks for extracting a vehicle? How many have commercial wrecker insurance? Training and certification by a recognized body? If the strap, chain, cable or other extraction device fail and kill someone while you are making an illegal extraction prepare to have your insurance company not cover you and in the worst case to possibly be charged with involuntary manslaughter. As much as you're the hero when you get someone out, you'll be the scape goat if it all goes bad.

About 9 years ago I was subpoena'd to testify in a civil suit filed by a lady that was pulled out by a private owned Tahoe. The owner claimed over $9k in driveline / undercarriage damage was done to her Porsche Cayenne during the extraction. She won based on the fact the Tahoe wasn't a wrecker or emergency vehicle and had no right to even stop on a limited access highway.

Greenway
December 6th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Everyday, we learn new ways it has become illegal to help someone.

Renegade II
December 7th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Everyday, we learn new ways it has become illegal to help someone.

Yup, it sucks, everyone seems to be lawsuit happy now a day. Though most of the motor code has been in existence since PA300 of 1949, police generally had looked the other way when good samaritans wanted to help people. Now too many people see govt as a quick check in a lawsuit, so if a cop looks the other way he gets sued. The general test for vicarious liability in Michigan is if an officer acted outside of; their training, the law or dept. policies. If they acted outside of any one of those he's on the hook for the entire lawsuit and will most likely be fired so the dept can avoid any culpability. Most of the P.D's around here won't do an unlock or change a tire because they've all been sued for damages at one time or another. No good deed goes unpunished.

sumpter1
December 9th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Hmmm, something to consider before I help someone in the future.

computeruser
December 13th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Sounds like it ought to be a civil matter, not something that LE need concern itself with unless and until something bad actually happens. Heavens knows they have plenty of other more important things they ought to be attending to.

Guess I'll add this to my list of legislation I'd like to see proposed and/or repealed.