PDA

View Full Version : Increasing paid memberships

Greenway
October 11th, 2011, 05:11 AM
A lot of time at each quarterly meeting is spent discussing our limitations in manpower and budget. This boils down to the few dedicated people that do most of the work getting burned out because there is so much more that can be done to promote this sport and save and reopen trails, but the time and money are not there.

The root cause of this is a lack of members. Of the tens of thousands of people that like to drive the two-tracks in Michigan, we only have a few hundred paying members..

My question to you is: What can we do to increase membership? How do we get the word out? How can we convince people that their sport is endangered? How can we get more volunteers to pick up a project here and there to help everyone? How can we get them to write the checks to join?

fishyOO7
October 12th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Not really a way to get more paid members, but we could make a group on LinkedIn. I was just looking on there for it.
Advertising? Publish the number of paid members and the number of registered people on this site and the average number of hits a day. Then the companies know the amount of traffic their advertising dollar gets. I know that would help my company to try to donate for a year.
Try to get the media involved more. If we are doing a trail clean up, call the local TV / Radio station and invite them to ride along - Free advertising.

I can't talk much, all I do is pay my dues because I recognize the benefit of the organization, but I don't attend the meetings or help with anything else.

How do the snowmobile associations do it? They are the ones that groom the trails and all that stuff and that takes money and volunteers.

Make it more than just about rules / regulations of the state. Have more GLFWDA rides. If you make it fun, then hopefully more will join. Make membership a requirement to be a part of the trip. I know you do the trail rides the day before the meeting to try to add the fun element to it, but what about making the meeting during the lunch break of the trail ride? (again, never atteneded so please excuse my ignorance on what happens or how long it lasts).

Try to get the corporate sponsors to do a demo of their product during the meeting, especially some new technology that might drive more attendence.

Sorry, I have lots of ideas, but not good at following through. Young family and work take a lot of time.

phittie1100
October 12th, 2011, 05:06 PM
I think on Sunday you hit on some good ideas Gary - we use "spotted cards" to advertise for our club, no reason something similar wouldn't work for the Association. WLB is a Jeep-only club so we only target Jeeps, but GLFWDA benefits not only anyone with an ORV permit on their truck but as Pat B has mentioned outdoors men and women in general benefit from opur activities when they use the forest roads or NFS roads across the state. That opens up a lot of opportunities to stick a card on someone's windshield - Dunham's, Jay's, Frank's, any of the outdoor expos, etc.

The other thing you mentioned that I think is easy to do is convert Bob's post from earlier this year into a downloadable PDF doc. I have a similar doc I am currently using for UFWDA club solicitations, called "What Does UFWDA do fo ME? Turning everyone in the Association into a PR tool for GLFWDA is relatively cheap and easy.

Craig has some good ideas in the post above too - when is the last time any of us called our State Rep to see if they wanted to tag along on one of our outings? And just this past Sunday we discussed moving our Quarterly meetings earlier in the weekend when we schedule the meetings in conjunction with an event held by one of our clubs.

oz97tj
October 13th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Ive been saying it for a while. MORE TRAILRIDES!!!!

People wantto wheel and there are boatloads of people out there who are learning the ropes and need guidance and also who are nervous about exploring on their own. Tapping into these people would be huge!

What about working with some jeep dealers? Every new jeep gets a trial membership and a handful of literature to read telling them who we are, what we do, and where to find us on the webbernet. Even just working with one or two high volume jeep dealers has huge potential. Could also be good press for the dealership.

What about working with jeep directly? Somebody has to know someone that is part of jeep. Why don't we help on Drummond at the jambo? Maybe we could do some informational stuff with jeep directly? Maybeeven instructional videos like straps and winches and general offroad stuff? Basics. Jeep makes money off wheelers but doesn't do a whole lot to educate.

lpm606
October 13th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Reaching out to dealers is an idea that I brought up with WLB a while back and they said they had tried this previously and the reactions ranged from lukewarm at best to a flat-out cold shoulder. Now this was asking if they would be amenable to handing out a club brochure to jeep buyers - a bit different than asking them to distribute GLFWDA materials and giving a free trial membership... The membership idea has some real merit. If we could get a dealer to allow us to automatcally enroll jeep buyers in the association for say six months, they would recieve their membership package plus two issues of the boondocker - enough to give them an introduction to what is happening with the association. Maybe enough to get them interested in renewing for a paid membership after the 6 months is up. I like it the idea.

WhiteRhino
October 13th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Dealers are in business to make money and the competition is very tough. GLFWDA brings nothing into their business that will help them sell vehicles. Bottom line, why should they?

Harsh but it's reality.

oz97tj
October 13th, 2011, 10:53 PM
Dealers are in business to make money and the competition is very tough. GLFWDA brings nothing into their business that will help them sell vehicles. Bottom line, why should they?

Harsh but it's reality.

Nobody ever said they ill make money off it. What they so get is good press along with helping the cause. Manu dealerships are involved in motorsport promotions.

lpm606
October 14th, 2011, 09:57 PM
I think if they can get a "casual" jeep buyer to fall in love with the sport and become a committed jeeper for life they do see a real benefit. I am on my third Jeep vehicle. If I had not gotten involved with a local club and GLFWDA would I be on my third Jeep? Doubt it. I think that is a great selling point. I am also guessing that folks who wheel their jeeps even a little bit are probably putting more miles on them (mostly going to and from events) and a more wear and tear on their vehicle and this can mean more in $ for their service departments as well. Maybe that's a stretch, but who knows?

Jeep as a company, is a silver level sponsor of Tread Lightly! Does this directly help them sell cars? I think not. Does it intangibly create a better climate for getting more Jeepers on the trails? Probably so. Does it let them promote themselves as a company that cares about their customers, their sport we enjoy, and the outdoor playground we play on? Sure! Would a local dealership similarly want to get behind a GLFWDA membership for their customers for some of the same reasons? Possibly.

I doubt the sales pitch of "GLFWDA brings nothing into their business" would work, but perhaps sturcturing someting along these lines might get some buy-in.

WhiteRhino
October 15th, 2011, 06:03 AM
Please don't think I am here to throw cold water on any ideas that may help. I just know that dealers were contacted in the past without much response. Maybe times have changed and it's time for a fresh look.

hemrides
October 15th, 2011, 09:59 AM
One thing that, for now, prevents me from getting out more is my job. I spend a lot of time at it and hate telling folks I can help when I know I can't. When my retirement starts in 2013 I plan to become more involved. A second item is that I'm just a stock TJ and like a slow pace, class 1-3 type trails. I like finding lakes, doing a little fishing, etc. I still use my TJ for daily transportation. I know you offer rides, like the Troll Fall Color tour, that are good for me, but I wonder how many other folks are in the same position as me...then I always remember what my wife tells me. :ahhh: I don't feel comfortable attending rides that will be more aggressive, and slow people down.

When I was involved with an ATV club we asked ATV dealers if we could put club fliers in their dealerships to help spread the word. I think business card with the club name, website info would work. I would be able to drive them around to dealers if that is a direction. We could create a standard BC template the folks could download and print. This would also eliminate distribution issues. A member of What Lies Beyond club, put a card like this under my wiper blade a few years back. It made me look them up and become a member of the forum.

I think Oz has one of the better suggestions, more rides, and I would add more gatherings. Maybe try a monthly, quarterly, etc., weekend gathering at some local restaurants so people can meet and get to know each other. For those of us stuck in the metro areas we could make the gatherings a short ride and lunch. I know it's only on the pavement, but it gets folks out.

My 2˘

Dave

My 2˘

Dave

lgottler
October 15th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Log out, then type in www.glfwda.org and don't sign in.

The home page tells me nothing about what GLFWDA accomplished or is working on. There are 27 sections to choose from when I click on Forums to see what is going on, can't see anything there either. The one forum I select to find what is going on, Land Use, had the last post back in August (2 months ago). Try clicking "Blogs" and find the most recent at August 2nd.

As a person surfing the web, or as someone who had a card placed on their Jeep, visiting this website leaves me with the distinct impression that nobody is really doing anything, so I'd rather not drop some cash to join a group that looks like it isn't doing anything.

New topic:

I think the largest potential member group are the hunters and people that enjoy anything out of doors. Biggest shocker to a non-4x4 guy who likes to drive 2 tracks to go hunting: If you have mud on your vehicle, you are operating in an erosive manner and can get ticketed or your vehicle impounded (verify).

WhiteRhino
October 15th, 2011, 02:01 PM
One thing that, for now, prevents me from getting out more is my job. I spend a lot of time at it and hate telling folks I can help when I know I can't. When my retirement starts in 2013 I plan to become more involved. A second item is that I'm just a stock TJ and like a slow pace, class 1-3 type trails. I like finding lakes, doing a little fishing, etc. I still use my TJ for daily transportation. I know you offer rides, like the Troll Fall Color tour, that are good for me, but I wonder how many other folks are in the same position as me...then I always remember what my wife tells me. :ahhh: I don't feel comfortable attending rides that will be more aggressive, and slow people down.

When I was involved with an ATV club we asked ATV dealers if we could put club fliers in their dealerships to help spread the word. I think business card with the club name, website info would work. I would be able to drive them around to dealers if that is decisionon. We could create a standard BC template the folks could download and print. This would also eliminate distribution issues. A member of What Lies Beyond club, put a card like this under my wiper blade a few years back. It made me look them up and become a member of the forum.

I think Oz has one of the better suggestions, more rides, and I would add more gatherings. Maybe try a monthly, quarterly, etc., weekend gathering at some local restaurants so people can meet and get to know each other. For those of us stuck in the metro areas we could make the gatherings a short ride and lunch. I know it's only on the pavement, but it gets folks out.

My 2˘

Dave

My 2˘

Dave

This is something that most people worry about when they shouldn't. As long as the run is described properly, it's not a problem. I have no problem with a stock or whatever rig on a run as long as everybody understands what it is. Sure, I don't want a stock vehicle on a run when we are intentionally running harder stuff but for most Michigan runs, it's not a big deal.

I've actually been talking with my wife about getting back into some good 'ol 2 tracking and fun runs. I miss them.

Jarhead
October 17th, 2011, 03:28 PM
We always appreciate threads such as this because it gives us an idea of what others are thinking. I am not certain as to what may be the best approach to weighing in here, but will make an attempt to weigh in and hopefully address a few of the issues that have been raised.

What can we do to increase membership? We (meaning you) can reach out to those you know and wheel with to make sure they are Members of GLFWDA.

How do we get the word out? We (meaning you) can print The Boondocker from the website and leave copies at your place of employment, the doctor’s office, the dentist office, wherever you have your vehicle serviced (are they Associate Members?), etc. Share The Boondocker with co-workers or church members. Leave a copy under the windshield wiper of every four wheel drive vehicle you see in the parking lot where you frequent or visit.

How can we convince people that their sport is endangered? We (meaning you) can initiate a conversation with those you wheel with and inquire as to whether they have witnessed any changes in the areas they like to wheel, hunt, fish, etc.

How can we get more volunteers to pick up a project here and there to help everyone? I find this the most difficult to answer because the simple reality will require personal sacrifice. It does not lie in what a person knows or doesn’t know. Every single one of us is negatively impacted as anyone who fails to understand our sport works to bring our sport to an end whether directly or indirectly. Those of us that are currently giving of our own personal time and money have been personally impacted by closures and are unwilling to simply sit back and say it is okay to limit my personal use of public lands. We have reached the point of enough is enough and therefore we work to educate ourselves to learn the issues and identify where we personally can make a difference (no matter how small or large it may appear).

How can we get them to write the checks to join? Sadly, the greatest dilemma I see in this question is the knowledge each has in knowing that they benefit even if they are not Members. The reality we could do so much more with a solid financial foundation never seems to enter the thought process. Wouldn’t it be nice to have a individual or two that had the sole responsibility to represent us each and every day without the concerns for going to work because GLFWDA was their employer?

The idea of using “LinkedIn” or “Advertising” in general comes back to the issue of having a volunteer with the available time and understanding to pursue these goals. We have been looking for an Associate Membership Secretary for several months; the former person continues to assist even though his employment greatly interferes and does not allow him to explore new opportunities.

The idea of more GLFWDA Rides/Events again comes back to the issue of having a volunteer, volunteers or Club with the available time to do the work required.

Changing our Membership meeting times. We held our Summer Membership Meeting on Friday Night in conjunction with DOA. Arrangements are being made to hold our Winter Membership Meeting on Friday Night (January 27, 2012) in conjunction with Sno-Fari.

A group of us have recently began to Approach Jeep Dealerships in an attempt to discuss GLFWDA Membership and 4WD Awareness Training Opportunities. None of these contacts have bared any fruit as yet. (SIDE NOTE: Brown Motors (our newest Associate member) sells Jeeps in addition to other vehicles and one of the owners attended the 4WD Awareness Training held in Kalamazoo, October 15.) The HUMMER Club, Inc. had some success with this idea for a number of years. We actually had cemented relationships with seventeen (17) of the one-hundred seventy-three (173) dealerships. To me it is a pocketbook thing.

As for Jeep directly, Corporate Sponsors focus on numbers and tangible benefits. While we are exploring this relationship through UFWDA, GLFWDA has little chance of getting a toe hold.

As for Drummond Island Jeep Jamboree: Several of our Members serve as Trail Guides each year. The benefits of GLFWDA Membership is also discussed during the event each year.

Instructional Videos: We have talked of doing Instructional Videos on a number of occasions but there is great cost and again requires volunteers with time to participate.

Home Page tells me nothing: WE (GLFWDA) cannot compete with the need for instant gratification the now generation so overwhelmingly desires.

How many years did it take to get the DNR to listen our cause?
How many years did it take to get The Mounds Rock Course?
How many years did it take to get the St. Helen’s Rock Course?
How many years did it take to get an ORV Route that actually required four-wheel drive?
How many years did it take to get the DNR to ask us specifically to identify and construct actual ORV re-routes and cut-offs?

I could go on but the point I am trying to make that is that the doing is in years, not months or days.

We continue to travel and attend meetings all over Michigan every month on behalf of our sport. The details of those meetings when prudent (defined as finalized) are shared with all. The majority of meetings are information sharing and continuing negotiations. There is no point in sharing the negotiations discussion until such time as we have finalized agreement. Sharing information prematurely would most definitely alter the ongoing negotiation.

I have attached the President’s Boondocker Article (Summer 2011) which identifies talking points each and every one of us can use.

If you have taken the time to read this in its entirety, I Thank You. I have tried to address the questions and ideas presented. While we know full well we do not hold all the answers, we do know the limits of our abilities.

The present eboard has already served one term, with most having served multiple terms in addition to having filled more than one vacancy from time to time. We still have vacancies in need of a volunteer to fill the position and take an active role.

As the last page of the Boondoker reads:

Why Become a Member?

In unity there is strength. Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association is dedicated to upholding the rights of citizens, and the continued use of public lands. Public lands belong to its citizens to RESPECT, to PROTECT, and to ENJOY. If you support these principles, your membership will add your voice to the millions of other recreationists who are striving to protect their rights and freedoms. GLFWDA believes, with firm conviction, in this right and this trust. GLFWDA believes that citizens have the right of access and to enjoy these public lands, by vehicle, as well as by other means. GLFWDA recognizes that citizens who use these lands, in return, have an obligation to uphold the trust – to respect the land, and so conduct their activities that the public interests are protected. We invite the cooperation of all in upholding the right of citizens to continued use of the public lands they jointly own.

We urge individual four-wheel enthusiasts to become members of Four-Wheel Drive Clubs, or to form new clubs, and to affiliate with the Association. We invite the support and participation of related businesses as Supporting Associate Members of GLFWDA.

lpm606
October 17th, 2011, 07:24 PM
I have to say, I completely agree witht the point below about the website - it is a point I have brought up with board members in the past. When you go to read about our accomplishments we are still talking about the opening of Bull Gap or something I never even heard of and there was not (at least last I checked) word one about the establishment of DI ORV Routes, Mounds Phase II & III, St Helen Rocks, etc. etc. It might be worth a land use comitte members time to skip one informational meeting out there somewhere and spend a night creating a new page around that alone.

I have also mentioned before, that as a web user, seeing mutlple forums where the last post was sometime in 2009 or 2010 make the website look like it is dead and inactive. Can we trim down the forums to only active categroies (at least one post inthe last 6 months even?) The boondocker is a great snapshot of our activities - but it is primarily going to members. For the casual person just looking into GLFWDA, the website is going to be their main understanding of who we are and what we do.

We continue to say each quarter that we are financially healthy - what about looking into a website refresh - even if we have to pay for it! I have no idea what is involved in that, just thinking out loud...

And by the way - Hemrides - I am with White Rhino - Most clubs (inclduing What Lies Beyond) would be glad to have a stocker along on their runs. Especially in MI the two tracks are mostly very easy and if there are some obstacles here and there that that we can try with the saftey of a group to instruct us, spot for us, and pull us out if we get stuck that's what makes it fun. And I don't think we've ever encountered an obstacle that could be driven around! We wheeled three years in my wife's '05 liberty DD and had a blast! Don't be afraid to get out there with a club!

StingRay66
October 18th, 2011, 01:34 AM
Ok here's my 2 cents worth

I didn't read all thats been posted in this thread so this may be somewhat of a repeat. I am a member of Oakalnd County Sportsman Club in Clarkston and in years past we would get a booth at the Suburban Collection Show Place (formaly Rock Financial ) and sell raffle tickets for a few pieces of equipment ( gun, bow ...) and at the same time sign up people for membership. It worked 3 ways for the club, we raised money with the raffle , we increased membership and best of all members who worked the booth got to get in free and make lap around the show for the price of parking.
It looks like it's $850 for a 10x10 for 4 day event plus the price of raffle tickets but these cost I would think can be covered by the raffle it's self. If we ( I am volunteering now to work booth :) ) show pictures and or video's of outtings to attract people to the booth...

http://www.showspan.com/OUT/Demographics.aspx

Jarhead
October 18th, 2011, 09:39 AM
I have read this thread each day to see what people had to offer:

http://www.glfwda.org/showthread.php?11885-Increasing-paid-memberships

I finally conceded yesterday and wrote a response to most of what was posted. My post was quite lengthy I know; just like the myriad of governmental journals, report findings, e-mails, Google searches and the like that are required in order for us to do the business of the Association.

When I typed my response, there were 230 views.

When I looked this morning, there was 282 views, plus 2 replies (One of the two replies admits to not having taken the time to read all the posts).

“I didn't read all thats been posted in this thread”
This simple statement says it all for me…people are looking for that instant gratification the topic of Land Use Access is unable to provide.
This person goes on to say, “I am volunteering now to work booth”

15 Posts, 282 Views

Out of 282 Views and 15 Posts “CaveDweller08” hits the nail on the head:
I have an idea…
Here is my idea…
I am willing to work my idea…

How does one make any improvement?

If you have an idea, IMPLEMENT IT!
Do not wait for someone else to tell you it is a good idea, IMPLEMENT IT!
Do not wait for someone else to take your idea and run with it, IMPLEMENT IT!
If you want to make a difference, get involved, IMPLEMENT IT!

StingRay66
October 18th, 2011, 11:41 AM
I have read this thread each day to see what people had to offer:

http://www.glfwda.org/showthread.php?11885-Increasing-paid-memberships

I finally conceded yesterday and wrote a response to most of what was posted. My post was quite lengthy I know; just like the myriad of governmental journals, report findings, e-mails, Google searches and the like that are required in order for us to do the business of the Association.

When I typed my response, there were 230 views.

When I looked this morning, there was 282 views, plus 2 replies (One of the two replies admits to not having taken the time to read all the posts).

“I didn't read all thats been posted in this thread”
This simple statement says it all for me…people are looking for that instant gratification the topic of Land Use Access is unable to provide.
This person goes on to say, “I am volunteering now to work booth”

15 Posts, 282 Views

Out of 282 Views and 15 Posts “CaveDweller08” hits the nail on the head:
I have an idea…
Here is my idea…
I am willing to work my idea…

How does one make any improvement?

If you have an idea, IMPLEMENT IT!
Do not wait for someone else to tell you it is a good idea, IMPLEMENT IT!
Do not wait for someone else to take your idea and run with it, IMPLEMENT IT!
If you want to make a difference, get involved, IMPLEMENT IT!

First I would like to think Jarhead for his comments on my idea. I am sometimes hesitant to post on these forum pages and I'm not sure why. So I will go to the OCSC and find out more about how they went about it and if it was of any benefit to them and post my finding.

WhiteRhino
October 18th, 2011, 12:24 PM
I read it all, more than once. I've been involved and made my opinions known. Then I decided that I would back off and see who else may be vocal. I've come to the conclusion not many want to be vocal. I continue to promote the organization and made sure that GLFWDA was noticed as a driving force behind the rocks at the Mounds. I bring up GLFWDA every few months on our largest Michigan wheeling site. It seems to get some traffic and then dies right back off. I'll continue to do what I can, when I can.

I also have to agree with Lucas and others that the web site is not as enticing as it could be. But I also realize that our volunteers just may not have time to do more than they do.

I like cavedweller's suggestion. Depending on timing, I may be able to volunteer some time if he gets it set up. And since we appear to be neighbors, we should be able to coordinate something.

By the way, I find it interesting that we would schedule a quarterly meeting on a Friday night where traditionally there have been night runs and people just arriving to register. Did this get discussed with SoFo for their plans?

Renegade II
October 18th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Between late arrivals, event registration & night runs on Friday the hotel is kinda empty.

Edit; Never mind, I got the e-mail and see that it falls between the runs :thumb:

phittie1100
October 18th, 2011, 05:12 PM
By the way, I find it interesting that we would schedule a quarterly meeting on a Friday night where traditionally there have been night runs and people just arriving to register. Did this get discussed with SoFo for their plans?

Ssshhh - it's a secret, we aren't telling them anything yet :ninja:

Seriously though, this was the result of more than one conversation on the subject, most recently at the Fall Quarterly. Trying to be more responsive to what everyone wants, and to see if we can boost attendance a little. And we ran it past SoFO to make sure they thought it was feasible and to help us figure out a time, I know better than to mess with Ryan's carefully crafted plan. Should be able to tuck it in between the afternoon runs and the night runs without too much headache.

WhiteRhino
October 18th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the clarification. I'm on board.:thumb:

Trail_Fanatic
October 19th, 2011, 09:53 PM
I have to say, I completely agree with the point below about the website - it is a point I have brought up with board members in the past. When you go to read about our accomplishments we are still talking about the opening of Bull Gap or something I never even heard of and there was not (at least last I checked) word one about the establishment of DI ORV Routes, Mounds Phase II & III, St Helen Rocks, etc. etc. It might be worth a land use committee members time to skip one informational meeting out there somewhere and spend a night creating a new page around that alone.

I'm guilty on that count.
I knew coming in to this that advertising what was being done was just as important as doing it. Unfortunately, I only have so much time I can spend on Land Use. Our successes have led us to be invited to more meetings and have input on more issues. This eventually reached a point where attending meetings and commenting on all the various issues significantly ate into the amount of time available for reporting. Add a new job that now takes WAY more time than my last one and my reporting has all but stopped. If you take a look at all the various forums, I really haven't commented on much of anything for months. I just don't have time anymore. It's to the point where I have to pick and choose which issues are important enough to spend time on and which need to be shelved. Sad really; to have to shelve an opportunity to get or keep trails because there isn't enough manpower to do the job. I'm open to assistance, but just don't have the time or energy left for suggestions that require much from me. If anyone wanted to write a new Land Use page for the site, I'd be willing to give it a final proof read or help with information, but that's about all I can offer right now.

hemrides
October 20th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Based on Bob's comments about the Outdoorama does this mean there will be a booth? I would be willing to help. I will stay tuned.

Thanks,
Dave

CheapthrillB2
October 20th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Increasing Club Membership..........

I among a few others have been discussing to the point of arguing attempting to get Cheapthrills to become a club recognized by definition to join GLFWDA. I have been bringing this topic of discussion about almost bi-annually now for several years. Unfortunately our slightly more then organized group of friends cannot come to an agreement to establish a Board, agree on dues, etc... While in our pursuit we have gotten members to join on their own behalf's. Currently I think approx 40-50% are current GLFWDA members. But unfortunately this falls short of the criteria needed.

While I think most of the problem is with establishing the group to become more of what has been deemed a "real club" by definition of having officers etc. People seem to fear change, and the creation of different tiers within the group, or a hi-Archy per say seem to be the biggest fears. Which these concerns are not directly related to GLFWDA, its one of the requirements to be recognized. And unfortunately GLFWDA suffers from it.

Some dwell on old drama years ago that plays no bearing on today's association. This is not just within our group but I have seen it with other groups in the state. Some people just cannot let go, look beyond, etc....

The rest use the excuse of "we don't use state land for wheeling, were primary a park oriented group". While that is some what true, it makes me sad. Why, because that's not what I started in the beginning, in the beginning like most people we started some by enjoying two tracks etc. Some have forgotten that's typically where it always starts. Most of us feel the need to keep access so our kids can enjoy what we did. I personally am hoping to use the new developments at St. Helen and The mounds to end this thought process and use them as tools to aid those of us you support GLFWDA in convincing the rest.

I am currently working on planning trips to both destinations before I bring this topic back to the forefront within the group.

lpm606
October 22nd, 2011, 08:31 AM
Great points Cheapthrill... We were discussing United Four Wheel Drive Association club memberships at our GLFWDA meeting the other week and one idea I had suggested was to let a club be considered a member with something less than 100% roster membership - and I thnk that might be something to consider for us as well. I also personally know of two ore three clubs in Michigan that would be member clubs in GLFWDA except for one member that got pissed of by something 8 years ago that an old board member said or some other petty squabble. Since we have to have 100% roster for the club to be a member, those clubs will nevere join. I think it is great that 50% of your membership sees the value. If we would consider setting an roster target at something less than 100% (though perhaps a bit higher than 50%), maybe more clubs could join despite their one-off, holding a grudge member who may not have a problem with the club being involved, but would never join as an individual member.

As to the private land argument, I think if you pull back the curtain a bit, you will find that GLFWDA has supported many of the private efforts as well. I'm not personally totally aware of what we have done, but I know we attended some meetings to represent the interest of the full size off-pavement driving community and express our support for the projects and help to overcome local objections, noise concerns, etc. Some of the private parks themselves (Bundy Hill and Rocks & Valleys) are associate members of GLFWDA... If the owners of the private parks see the value in what our association is doing, I don't think it is a stretch to conclude that the folks using the parks have a similar interest.

And by the way, thanks for what you are doing to promote our organization within your club.

Alboy79
October 22nd, 2011, 03:36 PM
and by the way, thanks for what you are doing to promote our organization within your club.

Indeed...:thumb:

Trail_Fanatic
October 24th, 2011, 05:24 PM
I've thought a Copper/Silver/Gold Supporting Club set at various levels would be good too.
Maybe 50%/75%/100%?

I'm still wishing you the best of luck, John.
If there's ever anything I can do to help make your argument, just let me know!

WhiteRhino
October 24th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Here's another problem. I was just browsing my latest issue of a prominent 4wd mag. They have a pretty big section (enough to catch my attention) stating that if you want to fight land closure, BRC is the place. NOWHERE have I ever seen UFWDA or GLFWDA in a mag. Why would anyone come to us when the 4wd rags are promoting elsewhere?

lpm606
October 24th, 2011, 08:05 PM
White Rhino you have a great point. As an organization, do we think too small? Why aren't we sending out press releases to these types of magazines? Or have we considered advertising? Maybe we do or have and I don't know it - I am still a relative newbie here, but maybe we should be aiming higher...

Having said that, I'm not sure a national magazine is the place for a regional organization like GLFWDA, but perhaps UFWDA...

Pat- I like the copper/silver/gold idea. Gets more clubs involved and then perhaps shooting for the 100% roster.

fsumotorhead
March 7th, 2012, 04:04 PM
I think it's good to dig this topic back up.

I for one am guilty of not doing my part, but I think it's time to change that. Unfortunately, with my work and family life, I don't have much time. Also for me living in Monroe, I won't/can't travel the distance required to make it to most meeting as they are usually 3+ hours away. Hell I probably wouldn't even make it for a trail ride most of the time, but I want to start doing what I can.

It's hard to convince people around me to support something they aren't immersed in, e.g. we can't just head out on two tracks in Monroe any time we feel like it. IMO we have to first target the people who live in and use the areas that have the trails, then we need to target the people (hunter, fishermen, and motorsports) who travel to those places.

In the southern MI metro Detroit area, are you going to have much luck posting fliers on windshields of 4wd vehicles? Probably not. But you might have better luck targeting vehicles in the woods during hunting season, setting up booths at sportsman’s "shows" (Novi Expo Center comes to mind), what about having pamphlets at Cabela's/Bass Pro Shop, at local Duck Unlimited dinners/fund raisers, in Michigan Outdoors magazine, etc etc.

Aside from membership, there are other ways to raise needed funds.

Monthly raffle of big $$$ items: winches, bumpers, tire carriers, etc - Sell the tickets for $20/ea

Yearly Banquet/wild game dinner fundraiser

There are many other ideas, but as I type I tend to get tunnel vision, so that's it for now.

Thanks,

Brian

P.S. One more thing, is GLFWDA just a MI organization? The logo clearly shows Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois, do we ever do anything about trails in those states at all?

fsumotorhead
March 7th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Another thought i had was: What about a greatly reduce membership rate for first timers? Like $15-20 for the first year.

Then maybe you could pick up a bunch of people that were either on the fence, or just didn't want to spend the $40. Maybe they wouldn't renew after the year was up, but then again, maybe they would.

Maybe even an event discount for signing new people up at an event that GLFWDA has a booth at.

Jarhead
March 7th, 2012, 06:23 PM
We have the:

TRAIL Supporter
Trail Supporter shall include those persons who wish to support GLFWDA on an individual basis.
o The Trail Supporter fee shall be five dollars ($5) payable at the time of registration or at the beginning of a GLFWDA Sanctioned Event or Sponsored Event (ex: Trail Cleanups, Trail Maintenance, Trail Rides, etc.) and shall expire at the conclusion of said event.
o The Trail Supporter fee is a one-time exhaustible fee.
o The Trail Supporter fee cannot be used to obtain a higher level of Support and/or Membership.

SUPPORT THE SPORT Supporter
Support the Sport Supporter shall include those persons who wish to support GLFWDA on an individual basis. This membership requires registration on the forum to receive the benefits.
o The Support the Sport Supporter fee shall be twenty dollars ($20) payable on an annual anniversary and in annual increments thereafter from the date of the first payment.
o Privileges of Support the Sport Supporter: ***
 Receive information of GLFWDA activities via the GLFWDA web site.
 Entitled to the online version of the Boondocker via the GLFWDA web site.
o Support the Sport Supporters may not hold an elective office with GLFWDA.
o Support the Sport Supporters are non-voting. ****
o The Support the Sport fee cannot be used to obtain a higher level of Membership.
To become a Support The Sport Supporter, please click HERE.

phittie1100
March 7th, 2012, 06:28 PM
P.S. One more thing, is GLFWDA just a MI organization? The logo clearly shows Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois, do we ever do anything about trails in those states at all?

Jarhead
March 8th, 2012, 02:41 PM
I am not certain where the balloon quote originated from that is in Paul's reply, "Originally Posted by fsumotorhead
P.S. One more thing, is GLFWDA just a MI organization? The logo clearly shows Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois, do we ever do anything about trails in those states at all?"

GLFWDA was involved with The Illiani Hummer Club (Illinois) in their land use efforts previously.

GLFWDA was involved with Wisconsin in the past.

GLFWDA was involved with a Hunt Club in Ohio that was interested in converting from its presence as a Hunt Club into an Off-Road Park. Problems with their management decision making process brought this cooperative effort to an end.

GLFWDA is involved with (Indiana) IFWDA and The Illiani Hummer Club (this club has Members in both States) in their land use efforts on a couple of different levels.

fsumotorhead
March 8th, 2012, 03:55 PM
OK, cool. I never seem to hear anything about happenings in other states in the region.