PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Color Adventure Tour Sept. 23-25

lgottler
July 25th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Sorry, but this is cancelled from lack of interest! Maybe next year!

Canadian Color Adventure Tour

When: Friday, Saturday, and Sunday September 23, 24, & 25th 2011

Where: 30 minutes north of Sault Ste Marie, ONT Canada. We will leave from the Blueberry Hill Motel & Campground (website HERE (http://www.onblueberryhill.com/blueberryhill/index.html)).

What: A 3 day and 2 night (camping on the trail- permit required HERE (http://www.trading-post.ca/Default.aspx) for only 18 and over) Adventure Tour through the Canadian wilderness.

Who: Anyone with a mildly built 4x4 vehicle of any make in good mechanical condition. GLFWDA Membership not required!

We will be assembling in the parking lot of Blueberry Hill Campground at 9am on Friday September 23rd and leaving at 9:30am for a two night adventure into the Canadian wilderness. This is a beautiful, rugged, and remote area of Ontario. Colors should be fantastic and the views of the stars miles away from city lights will be breathtaking! Our route will take us from the tops of mountains to the rivers all the way to Lake Superior over 2 1/2 days of trail riding. We will camp right on the trail, so bring your camping gear!

What to know: We will be traveling in a very remote area of Canada which means services and supplies are not around the corner. It is HIGHLY suggested that you prepare your vehicle and yourself for at least a 4 day trip in case of any unforeseen emergency or breakdowns. You must provide your own food and water for the trip, we won't be passing any McDonalds! Extra gas is mandatory, we will top off after we leave the campground on the first day and will not see another gas station for another 2 days. Prepare for any and all weather conditions. If something doesn't work on your vehicle, fix it before the trip and bring spares! To make the trip more enjoyable to everyone, the normal GLFWDA Safety Certification form will be used to ensure all vehicles are properly equipped for the trails. Also, nobody will be left behind!!

Reservations can be made at Blueberry Hill Motel & Campground for Thursday night and for Sunday night if you wish. The owner has given our group permission to park trailers/vehicles in her lot for the duration of our trip without cost.

Camping permits are required for back country camping in Canada. These permits can be purchased at The Trading Post just north of Sault Ste. Marie, ONT on 17 as you head toward Blueberry Hill Motel & Campground. They are open 7 days a week 6am-midnight. These permits cost about $15/night per person for Americans 18 and over, kids stay free!

Don't forget about Passports, Enhanced Drivers Licenses, or Birth Certificates for the littler ones.

This trip is being organized by the GLFWDA Trail Ride Committee and GLFWDA members!

kb8ymf
July 28th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Camping is per person AND per night. Can get pretty expensive.
See this page at bottom for more info.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/CrownLand/2ColumnSubPage/STEL02_170045.html

Next question, GLFWDA membership required?

jim-kb8ymf

lgottler
July 28th, 2011, 06:27 PM
GLFWDA membership is not required.

swampjeep
August 8th, 2011, 06:00 PM
so is this just a "show up and go" or are you taking names?

lgottler
August 8th, 2011, 08:20 PM
I intended to have the post have that "who's coming, who's not" thing at the top, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

So, I suppose post if your planning on going and ask any questions you have!

I'm almost done prepping the Jeep. Just tonight I started removing the bearing caps from the engine, which is in my garage. I finally found my birth certificate, so I know I'm born and what my actual name was supposed to be, now to go get a passport card thing....

Lucas

timbercruiser
August 11th, 2011, 10:08 AM
I'm in

oz97tj
August 11th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Im planning on coming but its not a sure thing yet.

Scott
August 11th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Hey guys,
We are definately interested. Are kids (11 & 13) welcome? (They are accustomed to this type of camping/trail riding) Not sure if we'd take them, just planning ahead.

Also, any idea of types of trails you plan to run?

oz97tj
August 11th, 2011, 09:43 PM
It will be family friendly and the trails suggested were able to be traveled by a stock 4x4.

Renegade II
August 12th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Maybe. Working on it.

lorax
August 12th, 2011, 11:37 PM
Camping is per person AND per night. Can get pretty expensive.
See this page at bottom for more info.

jim-kb8ymf

Yeah; if I take my wife and three kids, ages 3, 8, and 12, they think it's reasonable to ask me to pay $50/night?

If you read further, it says members of non-profits don't have to pay. GLFWDA is a non-profit, right.

TMS
August 13th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Yeah; if I take my wife and three kids, ages 3, 8, and 12, they think it's reasonable to ask me to pay $50/night?

If you read further, it says members of non-profits don't have to pay. GLFWDA is a non-profit, right.

I saw that too. "Members or persons in charge of a charitable or not-for profit organization may be eligible for exemptions to a Crown Land Camping Permit by applying in writing to the District Manager well in advance." I don't know how much time "well in advance" means, but worth looking into.

lgottler
August 14th, 2011, 09:12 AM
I feel that it is unreasonable to ask a family to dish out $15/ person per night. I'm not saying what to do, but if I brought my family, I'd buy a pass for every adult and not the kids.

Scott
August 14th, 2011, 11:03 AM
I'll preface this by saying it was early October, beginning of Moose hunting season.....maybe they were on high alert....

We were up trail riding and camping (no hunting or fishing and no equipment for either), 4 people in 2 mildly built Jeeps. We had bought camping permits for everyone, but stayed out in the bush an extra night due to a mechanical failure. On our way out we were traveling a gravel Hwy and along comes the Ministry of Natural Resources from the opposite direction. They flip on the lights, lock up the brakes and both jump out w/hands on weapons in front of us. We were interogated regarding what we were doing and did we have firearms, fishing poles, etc. (of which we had none.) They reviewed our camping permits and one officer started to read us the riot act about staying out an extra night....fortunately the 2nd officer was a little cooler minded and said "hey let it go, eh!, at least they made an attempt to have permits, eh!" Then they proceeded to question us about any of the hunting camps we may have come across and where they were.

Not sure if we were just in the wrong place at the right time or what, but camping permits are a good thing to have!

phittie1100
August 14th, 2011, 11:30 AM
If you read the link provided above the camping permits are only required for those 18 and up.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

lgottler
August 14th, 2011, 01:04 PM
If you read the link provided above the camping permits are only required for those 18 and up.

I'm guilty, I did read it, but completely missed the 18yo part!

TMS
August 14th, 2011, 04:37 PM
I see that the trip will be leaving from the Blueberry Hill campground, but can someone give me a rough idea of where the route will go so I can check out the area and get more information? I'm also going to call the Ministry of Natural Resources and would like to have more information before I do make the call.

lgottler
August 14th, 2011, 09:16 PM
I see that the trip will be leaving from the Blueberry Hill campground, but can someone give me a rough idea of where the route will go so I can check out the area and get more information? I'm also going to call the Ministry of Natural Resources and would like to have more information before I do make the call.

North. What kind of information are you looking for?

Renegade II
August 14th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Trails wide enough for the H1 or should I bring a Jeep?

TMS
August 15th, 2011, 01:03 AM
North. What kind of information are you looking for?

Well, that helps.

I would like to know where I would be headed approximately. Is there a specific destination in mind to drive to and then loop back that I can look up on a map? How many miles would the route be so I can figure out how much fuel I might need?

What would the trail be like? Tight and twisty following a river? Rocky and hilly? Flat two tracks or back roads like most of Michigan? River crossings?

I understand there is still planning to be done, but just looking for some basic information to get an idea of what the trip would entail. Plus I always like to look at an area on a map before I go.

lgottler
August 15th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Well, that helps.

LOL, sorry, didn't finish my whole thought out there!

Plans are subject to change, however, here is the basic route. I intend to first follow 17 north to the rock paintings on superior, stopping at a couple falls along the way. I may or may not make a few loops to the east about 20 miles or so and come back to 17. Once at the paintings I intend to head over to a large dam (Montreal River Dam) and spend the night. Next day head south paralleling 17 and end up spending the night on the top of Batchawana Mtn. Sunday head back via a few loops around 17 and hopefully be back at Blueberry around noonish.

I will change the route depending on weather and water. If we have a ton of rain, a couple small crossings might not be a good idea anymore. I have other routes and loops up that ways I can take, depending on how the group is setup vehicle wise. Trails 50% dirt/gravel 2 track, 30% pavement (17), and about 20% rocky/dirt trail.

As far as vehicle: I intend this trip for any stock 4x4 vehicle, so I don't intend to be bogging or rock climbing, but more of a sight seeing and color tour with a dash of being "way out there". We have a few mild water crossings and some rocky climbs. Trails might get tight near the mountain (last group up there reported the trail starting to grow in a bit). I hope to be up there a day early and check out this path and clear it if it needs it.

Lucas

lgottler
August 15th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Trails wide enough for the H1 or should I bring a Jeep?

Well, I would suggest the Jeep unless you don't mind massive pinstriping. There is one trail less traveled that might get tight.

Trail_Fanatic
August 16th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Oh how I wish I could swing this.
It's just not in the cards this year.
I hope it's an annual!

Great work Lucas!
Thank you.

kb8ymf
August 21st, 2011, 02:20 PM
Not sure if I posted this here yet but, This is on my 'To Do' list but my trailer is not cooperating. I need new axles or I'm not going anywhere.

Renegade II
August 21st, 2011, 08:57 PM
Not sure if I posted this here yet but, This is on my 'To Do' list but my trailer is not cooperating. I need new axles or I'm not going anywhere.

I'll drive mine the whole trip if you drive yours :poke:

lgottler
September 2nd, 2011, 09:43 PM
I've got a ton of parts in the mail this week. Hopefully I can start assembling my engine this weekend!

phittie1100
September 3rd, 2011, 07:38 AM
I've got a ton of parts in the mail this week. Hopefully I can start assembling my engine this weekend!

3 weeks to go Lucas, no pressure!

lgottler
September 3rd, 2011, 12:26 PM
3 weeks to go Lucas, no pressure!

I pressed on the new pistons to my rods today, so progress is being made. I think I'll try to finish it the 22nd. But as a backup I've got my bike I'll ride instead, just need to put a new chain on it.

And I just got an email saying my passport is being mailed!! woohoo! So, from now on I should be called by my birth name: "Last First Middle".

lgottler
September 3rd, 2011, 06:36 PM
Being about 3 weeks out, can I get a roll call for those planning on going? If we can't get more than 4 vehicles, I'm going to have to cancel it. :wah:

Renegade II
September 3rd, 2011, 08:45 PM
After doing a preparatory laundry list of maintenance to the 5 for the trip it's not looking too good for me. I cut my family leave in half to go back to work and my wife may go back 4 weeks early, which is that Monday :(

Thanks for screwing me Gov Snyder :flipoff:

oz97tj
September 4th, 2011, 04:19 AM
I REALLY want to go, but it's not looking good for me currently. I'm still keeping optimistic about it, but it's likely a stretch right now.

swampjeep
September 6th, 2011, 09:19 PM
I'm a maybe, vehicle's ready, just not sure if the wife is ready to let me LOL.

swampjeep
September 9th, 2011, 09:04 AM
I'm a maybe, vehicle's ready, just not sure if the wife is ready to let me LOL.

OK, my Maybe is up to about 95%, could we get a date as to having 4 people confirm by, if this isn't going to happen I'd like to make other plans.

WhiteRhino
September 9th, 2011, 01:06 PM
John,
Don't forget this is a stocker style run. No trail 17 on this trip.

swampjeep
September 9th, 2011, 01:46 PM
John,
Don't forget this is a stocker style run. No trail 17 on this trip.

yes, I understand, I'm looking for a more laid back run with camping on the trail, I have yet to do a trip like this and really would like to. Even though the family isn't going, they have cause me to tone things down a bit, at least for a now LOL.

lgottler
September 9th, 2011, 08:07 PM
Well right now we have one, and that is you! :wave:

I think I'll have to call it off. I'm still going to head up, but I will probably do something different and take my bike around. Might do a circle Superior trip on the bike if the weather is nice.

And I have one piston installed in the engine now. Progress!

timbercruiser
September 9th, 2011, 10:13 PM
If it isn't too late, I'm a probable.

lgottler
September 13th, 2011, 10:26 PM
If it isn't too late, I'm a probable.

Sorry, but you have the Troll's color tour a couple weeks later!

Looks like I am heading up with Kieth, we are going to do a ride on our bikes around the lake. I'm going to try and swing in to check the state of a few trails if we have a chance.

I've got 4 pistons installed now. I can't get enough time alone to get anything done, by the time I start, I need to change a diaper, pick up a child from a fall, sift the cat crap from the sandbox, etc.... :ahhh:

Try again next year.

timbercruiser
September 14th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Have fun. Sould be a nice trip on bikes!

swampjeep
September 14th, 2011, 08:31 PM
have fun, I'll definately be watching for this trip next year

kb8ymf
September 21st, 2011, 09:52 PM
Still waiting for my trailer axles to show up. Might not even look good for Trolls run unless they get here soon. Sorry to see event cancelled. Mybe try a slightly differnt style next year. Not sure how many relish the idea of trail side camping. Sound fun, but in reality is a lot of work. I will probaby do a fairly conventional style run next year more as a exploration style like I used to do years ago. Only difficult issue is new areas to explore all seem to be further north. No good campgrounds north. At least ones that I've checked out. We did get some offers from one campground owner up by the Canadian Carver but I never went in to check it out. There's Pancake Bay but my big 'arse won't fit in there at all. Will put it on the list for the weekend BEFORE the Canadian holiday. Which is usually first week in October. Only issue there is it's beginning of bear season up there. If we go teh last weekend in Sept you run into all teh Looney RUn guys and the other a-typical users that weekend. Plus the OPP is out IN FORCE that weekend because they know the downstaters come up there that weekend.
Lots to talk about but I am going to go next year.
jim-kb8ymf