PDA

View Full Version : The U.P. ORV Assn.

Trail_Fanatic
June 23rd, 2011, 11:55 PM
Clubs from all around the UP are joining together to form an Association of Upper Peninsula ORV enthusiasts dedicated to improving the ORV System in the UP. GLFWDA has the honor of being selected as one of two temporary Directors at Large. GLFWDA will hold this position until the first official BoD elections are held.

Congratulations GLFWDA!

Jarhead
June 24th, 2011, 06:37 AM
This is an awesome opportunity.

phittie1100
June 24th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Excellent!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

sumpter1
June 24th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Glad to hear this is coming together.

timbercruiser
June 27th, 2011, 10:12 AM
This is a great chance to get a world class trail/route system!!

TMS
June 29th, 2011, 02:00 AM
Mi-TRALE is an organization that has been working for quite awhile on the trails of the U.P. While mostly dirt bikes, ATVs, and side by sides they do recognize the Jeep and 4x4 truck crowd.

http://www.mi-trale.org/

"Mi-TRALE attended town board meetings and DNR meetings in an effort to bring a scramble area to the western U.P. While we are a long way from seeing this happen, it is our organization that has already invested a lot of hours into seeing a scramble area developed in the western U.P. A scramble area would bring hundreds of thousands of dollars in tourism revenue to the western U.P. Mi-TRALE continues to work on this MAJOR project. Mi-TRALE received the unanimous support for a scramble area from the Carp Lake Town Board, Ontonagon County Economic Development Corporation, and Ontonagon County Planning Commission. The scramble area would show our organization’s mission statement in being an organization for the 4×4, Jeep, and off-highway motorcycle riders."

Trail_Fanatic
June 29th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Skip Shultz, President of MiTRALE, is also serving as temporary President of this Association too. He's actually the driving force behind the movement to organize the U.P. into an Association. There are also a number of SORVA groups up there too. I believe they are all members of the new Assn as well.

oz97tj
June 29th, 2011, 12:35 PM
So the plan is to be a separate organization eventually? I just don't see the point. I think a group dedicated to the UP could be good, but a separate group seems a bit counterproductive seeing as both willbe dealing with the same govt. officials.

I guess I don't understand.

Trail_Fanatic
June 29th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Seperate from whom?

oz97tj
June 29th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Seperate from GLFWDA.

I'm glad there are clubs up there forming a group, however, I'm not sure a seperate from GLFWDA group is needed or would be as good. Ultimately, the DNR is the same people that GLFWDA already has contacts with. It just seems having two different groups for the DNR to deal with could be counterproductive.

I understand most everyone involved currently from GLFWDA is from lower Michigan, so I also see a need for an group up there, but think we could accomplish more if we work together. The original post makes me believe it's a temporary thing to get off their feet and then they'll become seperate.

Just looking for clarification.

Renegade II
June 29th, 2011, 08:07 PM
Is this the first step of the U.P. becoming a sovereign state ;)

Greenway
June 29th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Is this the first step of the U.P. becoming a sovereign state ;)
:lmao:

Trail_Fanatic
June 29th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Oh how I wish that would have succeeded!
I'd be there today!

Trail_Fanatic
June 29th, 2011, 11:37 PM
Seperate from GLFWDA.

I'm glad there are clubs up there forming a group, however, I'm not sure a seperate from GLFWDA group is needed or would be as good. Ultimately, the DNR is the same people that GLFWDA already has contacts with. It just seems having two different groups for the DNR to deal with could be counterproductive.

I understand most everyone involved currently from GLFWDA is from lower Michigan, so I also see a need for an group up there, but think we could accomplish more if we work together. The original post makes me believe it's a temporary thing to get off their feet and then they'll become seperate.

Just looking for clarification.

This is an association of ALL types of ORV. Most are actually ATV clubs. GLFWDA has been invited into the group to represent full-sized vehicles because there isn't any other active Yooper organization doing so at this time. Their goal is more widely based around all orv trails and routes, not just 4x4s. It may be a temporary position, but I hope not ... and I'll be schmoozing hard to make GLFWDA a full time part of it. But when it's said and done, it's ultimately up to a vote of their membership.

oz97tj
June 30th, 2011, 03:19 AM
Ok, that makes more sense. I was under the impression it was geared towards full size so would basically be a competing association with us for the same resources that would just cause confusion.

Hopefully, we work together for the long haul.

Evil Queen
July 1st, 2011, 09:51 AM
If I can be of any help, Pat, let me know, I'm a heck of a lot closer than you are! So if anything comes up short notice, call me.

Trail_Fanatic
July 1st, 2011, 02:29 PM
Thanks!

timbercruiser
July 1st, 2011, 06:30 PM
Skip Shultz? He is very active in Copper Country snowmobiling/tourism and a great asset for ORV users.

Rocky
July 2nd, 2011, 08:26 PM
''This is an association of ALL types of ORV. Most are actually ATV clubs. GLFWDA has been invited into the group to represent full-sized vehicles because there isn't any other active Yooper organization doing so at this time. Their goal is more widely based around all orv trails and routes, not just 4x4s. It may be a temporary position, but I hope not ... and I'll be schmoozing hard to make GLFWDA a full time part of it. But when it's said and done, it's ultimately up to a vote of their membership.'' end quote

Isn't this pretty much the same reason we have the ORVAW [ ORV Advisory Workshop ] and the MSTAC [Michigan Snowmobile & Trails Advisory Council ] around for! These folks are already suppose to be dedicated to improving the ORV system and to advise the DNR of rider issues and concerns for all types of ORVs, and our trail system?

Why have the samething we pretty much already have?

Jarhead
July 4th, 2011, 08:42 AM
''This is an association of ALL types of ORV. Most are actually ATV clubs. GLFWDA has been invited into the group to represent full-sized vehicles because there isn't any other active Yooper organization doing so at this time. Their goal is more widely based around all orv trails and routes, not just 4x4s. It may be a temporary position, but I hope not ... and I'll be schmoozing hard to make GLFWDA a full time part of it. But when it's said and done, it's ultimately up to a vote of their membership.'' end quote

Isn't this pretty much the same reason we have the ORVAW [ ORV Advisory Workshop ] and the MSTAC [Michigan Snowmobile & Trails Advisory Council ] around for! These folks are already suppose to be dedicated to improving the ORV system and to advise the DNR of rider issues and concerns for all types of ORVs, and our trail system?

Why have the samething we pretty much already have?
While it has taken us (GLFWDA) a very long time to figure out how to get things done on behalf of OHV Recreatioal Opportunities, we have found that groups like this go along ways in serving our combined goals as we work through many of the details prior to meeting with the policy makers in order to have a unified front to achieve our goals. Without groups like this, the DNR and NFS are the only ones to benefit as has been proven for far to many years in the past. The OHV Community is making a differance as we find more and more State Representatives that are willing to sit down with us and discuss possibilities.

Would we like to hold them all to the letter of the law as it is already written...ABSOLUTELY! But in that, that hasn't worked for our recreational opportunities, it is necessary to foster a path to see our recreational opportunies grow or sit on the sidelines and complain because they won't do what they promised in the '70's, the '80's, the '90's etc.

We are not where we want to be and will continue to adapt as combined user groups to achieve recreational opportunies for all OHV's.

WhiteRhino
July 4th, 2011, 11:57 AM
While it has taken us (GLFWDA) a very long time to figure out how to get things done on behalf of OHV Recreatioal Opportunities, we have found that groups like this go along ways in serving our combined goals as we work through many of the details prior to meeting with the policy makers in order to have a unified front to achieve our goals. Without groups like this, the DNR and NFS are the only ones to benefit as has been proven for far to many years in the past. The OHV Community is making a differance as we find more and more State Representatives that are willing to sit down with us and discuss possibilities.

Would we like to hold them all to the letter of the law as it is already written...ABSOLUTELY! But in that, that hasn't worked for our recreational opportunities, it is necessary to foster a path to see our recreational opportunies grow or sit on the sidelines and complain because they won't do what they promised in the '70's, the '80's, the '90's etc.

We are not where we want to be and will continue to adapt as combined user groups to achieve recreational opportunies for all OHV's.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

You running for office Bob?

Rocky
July 4th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Bob,
You mentioned in your response that you found that groups like this go along ways in serving your combined goals as you work through many of the details PRIOR to meeting with the policy makers in order to have a unified front to achieve goals. I think that's a GREAT idea and you guys should go with it.

Please tell me that this new group wont be operated anything like Dicks MMRC or Michigan Motorized Recreation Council?

Jarhead
July 5th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Bob,
You mentioned in your response that you found that groups like this go along ways in serving your combined goals as you work through many of the details PRIOR to meeting with the policy makers in order to have a unified front to achieve goals. I think that's a GREAT idea and you guys should go with it.

Please tell me that this new group wont be operated anything like Dicks MMRC or Michigan Motorized Recreation Council?
Bill, we all have our own agendas, we have just found they are better served when we work collaboratively prior to meeting with the policy makers. The biggest difference that has come forth recently is a joint presentation and support of opportunities in lieu of being as lopsided as it once was. When it comes down to it, we all really want pretty much the same thing...jointly holding the policy maker’s feet to the fire has been helping all of us. Are we where we want to be, not yet!

Rocky
July 5th, 2011, 06:27 PM
I agree that bringing all interested parties to round table discussions PRIOR to meeting with the policy makers [ regardless of your own personal agenda ] is far more beneficial than walking in barefoot and not knowing whats on each others mind.

However, the MMRC had a ''closed door policy'' to anyone that did not agree with the Chairmans Agenda.

Im just saying that I hope this new Association of various ORV disciplines, does NOT operate in this manner--thats all.

Jarhead
July 6th, 2011, 05:24 AM
I agree that bringing all interested parties to round table discussions PRIOR to meeting with the policy makers [ regardless of your own personal agenda ] is far more beneficial than walking in barefoot and not knowing whats on each others mind.

However, the MMRC had a ''closed door policy'' to anyone that did not agree with the Chairmans Agenda.

Im just saying that I hope this new Association of various ORV disciplines, does NOT operate in this manner--thats all.
Ah yes, I had forgotten about the closed door policy (amazing how time allows the memory to fade). I like you, trust we can all work collaboratively together to further all of our agendas without exclusions.