PDA

View Full Version : Best Die Downs?

hemrides
June 4th, 2011, 07:09 AM
I'm close to buying a trailer to haull my Jeeps on. My question; do the strap tie downs with the rachets work as well as chains, with the chain tie downs. I used to haul a 1938 John Deere tractor for my Dad and we always use the straps and never had an issue. I know you need to make sure they don't get cut, etc. Looking for feedback or things I may not know when hauling a Jeep.

Thanks,

Dave

WhiteRhino
June 4th, 2011, 07:53 AM
4 straps purchased from TSC. One on each corner to the axle of the same corner.

yj_hank
June 7th, 2011, 08:14 AM

I agree with Jim. I also like these axle straps to use with the ratchet straps. http://www.tractorsupply.com/trailers-towing/tarps-strapping/bungee-cords-straps/winch-axle-straps/erickson-2-in-x-24-in-deluxe-axle-strap-10-000-lb-3013507

Henry

Renegade II
June 7th, 2011, 01:04 PM
I agree with Jim. I also like these axle straps to use with the ratchet straps. http://www.tractorsupply.com/trailers-towing/tarps-strapping/bungee-cords-straps/winch-axle-straps/erickson-2-in-x-24-in-deluxe-axle-strap-10-000-lb-3013507

Henry

Same for me, I don't cross my straps. Those axle straps are nice, I've been using them for a few years now without issue. As for ratchet straps I found that Sams Club usually has the best price around here. I got my last set of 10k straps from them for around $40

Alboy79
June 7th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Same here... TSC straps and axle straps. Never an issue.

GL08JK
June 7th, 2011, 07:15 PM
I also use axle straps and rachet straps to tie the Jeep down. Qucik and easy to get things tied down and less messy compaired to rusty chains :)

hemrides
June 8th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I think the decision is straps and axle straps. I'm looking at an R&R Alumn open car hauler, model 716CHA.

Dave

Renegade II
June 8th, 2011, 11:13 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I think the decision is straps and axle straps. I'm looking at an R&R Alumn open car hauler, model 716CHA.

Dave

Uh oh, you just opened up a whole new can of worms by mentioning getting an aluminum trailer :)

hemrides
June 9th, 2011, 05:57 PM
So will this be the debate of Alumn is not as strong as steel? :confused:

WhiteRhino
June 9th, 2011, 08:44 PM
I researched aluminum trailers and couldn't justify it. For an 18' trailer you only save around 400# for a $3500 premium. Not worth it IMO. Blingy, yes.

Renegade II
June 9th, 2011, 10:48 PM
I researched aluminum trailers and couldn't justify it. For an 18' trailer you only save around 400# for a $3500 premium. Not worth it IMO. Blingy, yes.

x2 on Jim's statement.

And compared to steel, how many old aluminum trailers do you see around? They just don't handle accidental abuse like steel.

hemrides
June 10th, 2011, 07:01 AM
But you don't have to paint them, they don't rust, they are lighter to tow, wash em down once a month or after a trip and they are good to go. I have an 8 yr old enclosed 7x14(ID) that I purchased for my ATV and general home use. In the long haul for me it's worth the extra money. It wasn't the % $$ increase that you mention above, but you have a valid point they do cost more. When you spread that out over the life of the trailer it's no big deal.

300Grand
June 13th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Dave,

By far the best tie down straps are from Mac's Custom Tie-Downs http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/product/78/PackageDeals. You'll find that their prices are about the same as TSC or anywhere else but the quality is much better.

What are you towing with? I just bought an 18' steel open car hauler from USA Trailer Sales and I couldn't be happier with it. What ever you by make sure you get brakes on BOTH axles.

kb8ymf
June 14th, 2011, 12:18 AM
I do the tie downs a bit different than most. I use chain and a axle hooks on the front like tow trucks and recovery flatbeds use. I use two straps on the rear with axle straps, not crossed. My thinking is: straps are 'elastic' to some degree. By using chain on one end I cut in half the elasticity on holding the truck in place.
What ever you do, make sure you have two seperate binding systems on each end of the vehicle. All too often I see a chain looped over an axle and attached at each end. This only constitutes one hold down. Legal requirements dictate two tiedowns for each direction.

Hooks here:
http://www.truckntow.com/pc-19389-147058-vulcan-g70-forged-tow-chains-15-j-hook-grab-t-hook.aspx

These will be my next tie downs:
http://www.truckntow.com/pc-9873-147200-auto-tie-down-vulcan-proseries-ratchet-and-twisted-snap-hooks.aspx

Twisted hooks are best for attachng to 'D' rings on trailers. Which you didn't mention. WHERE and HOW you attach the straps to the trailer are just as important. Wrapping them around the side rails is a sure fire way to cut a strap in 300 miles of jostling. Make sure the trailer has 'D' rings tied securely to the trailer frame, NOT to just the decking. The tie down points should be at the corners of the trailer

And as for aluminum trailers.....Michigan roads are brutal, as are some out of state stuff. Trailers take a huge amount of abuse. While aluminum trailers will typically flex more, when they do crack, repairing them is very costly and nearly impossible to find on the road repairs. Steel trailers not so. Steel trailers you have to make sure they are NOT boxed construction. Michigan salt will eat a trailer in 6-8 years. No experience with aluminum but I suspect salt will wreak havoc on aluminum trailers even if you wash them constantly.

jim-kb8ymf

hemrides
June 16th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Thanks Jim

hemrides
July 31st, 2011, 08:12 AM
I took delivery of my trailer on Friday and took the Jeep for a trial spin on Saturday morning. One thing I found is there are not a lot of good places on the rear axle to connect the straps. Has anyone used the lower rear shock points to attach to? Are they strong enough?

Renegade II
July 31st, 2011, 03:22 PM
Go around the rear axle with these

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=axle+straps&hl=en&safe=off&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&rlz=1I7DKUS_en&prmd=ivns&resnum=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1311&bih=658&wrapid=tlif131214006472610&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=6442023718034735721&sa=X&ei=HKs1Tqm2EufKsQLSycyxAg&ved=0CIgBEPICMAA#

They have them @ TSC

WhiteRhino
July 31st, 2011, 07:09 PM
Ditto.

Mole
August 2nd, 2011, 10:27 AM
well said:)

hemrides
August 2nd, 2011, 07:49 PM
I do have the axle straps, but on the passenger rear I can't get to the outside of the axle as the brake line is in the way, and the strap will not go under it. Had to come back toward the diff about half way. It trailered OK, but was just checkin.

Thanks again for the response.

WhiteRhino
August 2nd, 2011, 07:50 PM
Move the brake line so you can get the strap under it.

hemrides
August 4th, 2011, 06:39 PM
One other solution I came up with, MACS will build axle straps as long as you need. I will run one through each rear wheel and then use the tie down to secure to trailer. They also sell a cover protect the wheel. Cheaper and quicker to attach then a wheel net.