PDA

View Full Version : Drummond Island Needs your Support!

glfwdalanduse
June 2nd, 2011, 11:10 PM
Drummond Needs Your Support!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 2, 2011
Contacts: Mary Dettloff 517-335-3014 or Terry Minzey 906-228-6561
DNR Invites Public to Discuss Drummond Island Resource Needs
The Department of Natural Resources is inviting the public to participate in a meeting that will set the stage to provide a comprehensive resource management plan for Drummond Island.
Throughout the next year, the DNR, in cooperation with a group of stakeholders interested in Drummond Island, will be working to create a Comprehensive Resource Management Plan. The final plan would provide resource management recommendations and alternatives that are acceptable within the mandates of the DNRís mission, meeting the overall needs of Drummond Islanders, the DNR, and resource users; while promoting the unique natural features of the island as a special place to attract resource-based tourist destination. The DNR expects to have a plan in draft format by late winter 2012.
A public meeting will be held from 6 to 8 p.m. Wednesday, June 8, at the Drummond Island Township Hall, located at 23395 E. Pine St., Drummond Island. The DNR would like to understand which resource values should be considered when developing the plan and any other issues that the team should address related to natural resources and Drummond Island. All interested persons are encouraged to attend and participate.
Individuals can also submit written comments via e-mail or U.S. mail. Send comments to: DNR Wildlife Division, Attn: Terry Minzey, 1990 US-41 South, Marquette, MI 49855 or via e-mail minzeyt@michigan.gov.
Persons with disabilities needing accommodations for effective participation in the meeting should contact Autumn Feldpausch at 517-373-1263, at least seven days prior to the meeting date to request mobility, visual, hearing or other assistance.
The Michigan Department of Natural Resources is committed to the conservation, protection, management, use and enjoyment of the state's natural and cultural resources for current and future generations. For more information, go to www.michigan.gov/dnr.

This proposal could result in SIGNIFICANT NEGATIVE IMPACTS to the ORV Route AND Trail systems on Drummond Island. It is URGENTLY requested that anyone who is able PLEASE attend the meeting in support of motorized recreational access to the Islandís public lands! We have already received word that the anti-access forces have mobilized and WILL BE IN ATTENDANCE. Do NOT let them be the only voices heard! Be polite, be calm, but BE PRESENT!

THANK YOU,
GLFWDA Land Use Committee
Support the Sport!

Trail_Fanatic
June 4th, 2011, 11:23 PM
It would be GREAT if someone could note any complaints so counter positions could be developed for them.

I'd also be VERY curious to hear exactly WHO is going to develop this "Recreation Plan" , and by what type of process?

There were Stakeholders from DITA, the Ferry Company, the Nature Conservancy, Wildlife Division, Law Enforcement Division, FMFM, GLFWDA, the Sportsman's Club, the snowmobile club and more involved in the Route designation process. Who's going to be involved in this one? Who's going to be there to defend motorized access? And what ratio of pro-motorized to non-motorized people are going to be involved?

Evil Queen
June 9th, 2011, 08:59 AM
It was a great meeting. I'm glad I went. I believe it made an impact that so many full size/ orv enthusiasts were there. This meeting was designed to get an idea of what the primary thoughts and feelings were among the public for the use of Land on Drummond Island. This was a preliminary public meeting to gain insight to the wants of the users/business owners/stakeholders to present to the "Writing Committee".

The steps to be outlined were (approx)
the Public meeting
Choosing the Writing committee
Writing committee hashes out a proposal of the Uses of Land on Drummond Island
Proposal is presented to the public for discussion/amending
Proposal is submitted to the State
Proposal is finalized (I believe this would be by Winter 2012)

My first thought was...Who is on this committee? How are they selected and Who is doing the selecting. It was apparent that although this committee is not yet set in stone, members have already been asked to join it, others have been canvassed as well. There was, after a bit of questioning, a response that there would be "at large" members selected as well and names could be submitted for review. This committee is to be made up of primarily Islanders, and be representative of ALL interests....it was noted that Nature Conservancy had already been asked to be part of it.

The meeting was not that well attended, not like the last one. But most people in the room gave ORV route access as a primary concern...secondary seemed to run in the Wildlife/Fish/Game conservation.

The DNR did say that they had received many emails to date from people that could not attend and that these were given as high a priority as those who attended.

I must commend the people who ran this meeting, it was done efficiently, professionally and very smoothly. There were no hot tempers, or buttons pushed....and still it seemed everyone got heard, in fact every single person was called on not once but twice to voice an opinion.

They said since there seemed to be quite an interest in a posting of some kind as to the outcome of the questions they posted that they would attempt to get them on the DNR or DITA website.

Pat, to answer your questions, and I had the same ones and voiced them, the ratio would be even. Most of those you mentioned are supposedly being represented. That isn't to say that some who are selected won't be representing more than one group.

At the meeting there were NO oppositions or counter complaints at all. In fact, I would say out of the (approx) 35 people there, all but about 5 listed ORV route access as their PRIMARY concern. They way the meeting was conducted was this, they asked every single person, starting at the front and working all the way around, to voice their primary concern for Drummond Island Recreation, and then did the same with the secondary concern.

I did set up my camera to video for you, haven't checked it but I know it didn't pick up the whole thing. I'll put it on a disk and send what I did get to you.

Trail_Fanatic
June 10th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Thank you Pam!