PDA

View Full Version : St. Helen Summer Kickoff Event May 21, 2011. DNRE & State Reps in attendance?

TMS
May 16th, 2011, 12:13 PM
I was told that DNRE & State Representatives were going to be at this event and at the new rock crawl area to get a first hand look.

Anyone going? I'm probably heading up Saturday with my brother and friends and plan on doing some trail riding in the area and maybe heading over towards Mio.

Below is the event info copied from DirtPackers.

Come join us for our Summer Kickoff Event !!! The DirtPackers, St. Helen Chamber of Commerce, and The Roscommon Voice are combining forces to provide a great day of fun. The DirtPackers will conduct an ORV Parade thru Saint Helen. Bring your JEEP, Bike, ATV, and SxS to show how we support the local St. Helen Community. A competitive BBQ Rib Cookoff is also planned. Judges will select the best tasting Ribs at 2pm. A Pig Roast will provide plenty of food at the reasonable price of $6 for those that attend.

More info on the St. Helen Summer Kick Off Event can be found here:

http://dirtpackers.com/index.php

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100001093288267&sk=wall

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=156419904415315

WhiteRhino
May 16th, 2011, 08:36 PM
To be honest I don't think anyone knows about this. With it only a week away I can't make it.

Renegade II
May 16th, 2011, 09:07 PM
To be honest I don't think anyone knows about this. With it only a week away I can't make it.

x2. Other than here I hadn't heard about it before now. Probably a good idea to post it over on GL4x4 too. That's probably the best bet to get 4x4's to show up this late in the game.

Jarhead
May 16th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Now how the heck was this scheduled and we did not get the courtesy of any type of notification. I will be in Georgia for sure and unable to attend.

TMS
May 16th, 2011, 11:07 PM
I heard about it from a guy that I met in St. Helen in the fall and have kept in touch with through Facebook. He grew up in St. Helen, but moved away and was relaying information to me from his buddies that live there. They formed a new club in October 2010 called Dirtpackers. I posted information about the event on my Facebook Group Michigan Jeeps http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_131442833959.

While we were discussing the event he replied, "Talked 2 the owner of st.helen powersports...nO mud bog, or trail ride...thats organized. They tried but a trail ride on federal and state lands are legally troubling. The purpose 4 the event is 2 show the state and d.n.r.e. that atvs, motorcycles, utvs, as well as offroad trucks, jeeps, sand rails...ect. I guess state reps, and high-up dnr people will be out at the rocks and tubes 2 see what its all about".

So far my brother and I are going up there in our Jeeps and possibly one other. Our Jeeps aren't set up for rock crawling, but I'm hoping some other more capable vehicles from the group will be able to make it. Last minute I know. I also posted some information on Jeepforum.com too.

I don't know if the DNRE and State Reps will really be there, but would hate to miss out on the opportunity for some positive feedback.

Renegade II
May 17th, 2011, 09:16 AM
I agree 100% with Jarhead on this, it's very dissapointing that the main orginazation (and GL4x4 for that matter) that set up donations & design of the rocks wasn't contacted to promote this event. If nothing else, to at least have some vehicles capable of using each of the rock runs on hand to show reps / DNR(E) how the area gets used.

:(

Kixx007
May 17th, 2011, 07:04 PM
I had no clue this was happening. SoFO will be in the area performing our normal Spring Trail Maintenance. We'll probably stop by at some point.

Kixx007
May 17th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Also. It's not the DNRE. The E is now separate again.

kb8ymf
May 17th, 2011, 07:57 PM
I agree with the above sentiments of JH and RII, how does something like this get pulled off without GLFWDA being notified. Secondly, did anyone contact the DNR to see who's coming or contact the Chamber of Commerce and inquire on attendance of dignitaries......I know, I know, it MUST be true if it's on the Internet!
j-kb8ymf

WhiteRhino
May 18th, 2011, 07:25 AM
By the way, I contacted Pat Kinne to see if he had been contacted since he was involved with Rowe and Paige during the whole process. No, he had not. Maybe someone should contact Paige to see what she knows of this. We may all be getting worked up over nothing. Either way, I can't make it and I would have tried.

Kixx007
May 18th, 2011, 07:37 AM
I emailed Paige, to have her let the people taking over her former duties know that we'd be in the area this weekend doing maintenance. I guess will see if she says anything about it.

TMS
May 18th, 2011, 11:47 AM
I made a call to the St. Helen Chamber of Commerce this morning to get event information. The pig roast begins at 11:00 a.m. The ORV parade will go through town and then to the rock crawl area. Two State Representatives will be there to judge the cook off which is at 2:00. When I asked about the DNR officials being there she wasn't sure. Most of her info was about the parade, radio station DJ, and the food. I called St. Helen Powersports, but they are closed on Wednesday.

Kixx007
May 18th, 2011, 12:55 PM
I made a call to the St. Helen Chamber of Commerce this morning to get event information. The pig roast begins at 11:00 a.m. The ORV parade will go through town and then to the rock crawl area. Two State Representatives will be there to judge the cook off which is at 2:00. When I asked about the DNR officials being there she wasn't sure. Most of her info was about the parade, radio station DJ, and the food. I called St. Helen Powersports, but they are closed on Wednesday.

Interesting.

phittie1100
May 18th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Unfortunately I am not going to make it

TMS
May 22nd, 2011, 04:33 PM
My brother and I made it to St. Helen just in time to join in the ORV parade through town. The turn out was larger than the organizers originally planned on. After the parade we went to the scramble area for some fun in the rocks and then over to the sand hills. Didn't see any DNR officials there, it was just a fun day to help promote the town as an ORV destination. We met some great people with jeeps and spent the day hanging out with them. After the rock crawl we headed over to the sand hills where we found someone who got his TJ stuck in the water. He swamped it when his snorkel malfunctioned and had water half way up his seats, in his gas tank and oil pan too. Steve, who we met that day, pulled him out and then helped with getting his Jeep running again. Afterwards we spent some time playing on the sand hills, then we wandered the trails in the area until the evening. I can see the Summer Kickoff event growing larger for next year.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=a.132124600197555.32728.100002000477145

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1813636854504&set=oa.10150202442503960&type=1&theater#!/media/set/?set=oa.10150202442503960

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1813659495070&oid=131442833959&saved

WhiteRhino
May 22nd, 2011, 05:26 PM
I'm glad it turned out good. It would be wise to contact the chamber of commerce and let them know that with prior notification that we could have rallied a large group of full sizers.

TMS
May 23rd, 2011, 11:14 AM
I'll make a call and let them know. Excited kids were yelling "Monster Trucks!" when two of the full size trucks, Dirty Deeds and Republican passed by.