PDA

View Full Version : HAM: Drummond Island Repeater Project Is Rolling

rtikql8
May 10th, 2011, 02:21 PM
The project is now under way! Well sort of...

Go here for the complete story and to donate to the cause: http://msg4x4club.blogspot.com/

Greenway
May 10th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Great, how much do we need to raise?

DDS4X4
May 10th, 2011, 10:13 PM
Please email the list of equipment, including tower information.
I may have some stuff available.
dds4x4 (AT) yahoo.com

phittie1100
May 11th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Will there be an option to subscribe? I am assuming there will be ongoing operating expenses. Or will there eventually be a DI amatuer radio club to support it?

rtikql8
May 11th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Will there be an option to subscribe? I am assuming there will be ongoing operating expenses. Or will there eventually be a DI amatuer radio club to support it?
Great question. The ongoing expenses would be things like repairs and upgrades. AC power is currently going to be covered by Pat Kelly, if it gets out of hand it may need to be switched to solar but I don't think it would come to that. It would be really nice to see a DI A R Club, we will see what happens, maybe this will inspire more locals to get involved and get licensed!

rtikql8
May 11th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Great, how much do we need to raise?

If everything was purchased new probably $5k, we should do much better than that assuming we can find some used equipment, primarily the antenna array and duplexer.

Greenway
July 18th, 2011, 07:17 PM
What is the current state of the project and funding?

DDS4X4
July 18th, 2011, 11:20 PM
And an updated list of needed stuff?
I'll see if I can round up any items and bring along to DOA.

Greenway
July 21st, 2011, 10:46 PM
bump for current status

DDS4X4
July 22nd, 2011, 05:43 AM
Must be busy with final planning details of DOA.

phittie1100
July 22nd, 2011, 09:22 AM
I can offer a partial update - we went through the PayPal account a couple of weeks ago to determine what donations had been made through the GLFWDA PayPal account (linked from a "Donate" button on MSG website) and so far the donations are large enough to cover the cost of the electrical tape and wire nuts to complete the project....maybe not the wire nuts, just the tape. So if you are inclined to make a donation to help with this project, no time like the present!

oz97tj
July 22nd, 2011, 03:54 PM
Maybe I missed it or maybe it hasn't been advertised enough, but either way I didn't know they were looking for donations to help. I'll donote now. Should now be able to cover some nuts...

Greenway
July 23rd, 2011, 11:56 AM
Should now be able to cover some nuts...

That's prophetic coming from you.:lmao:

OK, I did my part with the donation.

rtikql8
July 23rd, 2011, 12:54 PM
Update:

We have received $1000 from a ham club in northern Michigan and $500 from msg4x4club. We need other GLFWDA clubs to help the cause.

We have purchased two motorola radios to be paired for tx and rx. They have crystals that were sent out to be tuned, they might be back in time for DOA.

We have 50 feet or so of Rohn TV tower. We could use more if anyone has any to offer.

I am donating the rack enclosure for the equipment and 150 feet of steel winch line that has never been used. We probably use another 150 feet of steel cable for the guy wires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rtikql8
July 23rd, 2011, 01:44 PM
We also need:

Duplexer ~ $1500
Antenna ~ $1500 (new but we are looking for used)
Guy wire ~ $400
Repeater controller ~ $250

I'll have to get with N8IT to get better detail.

Any funds beyond that will go to upgrades etc.

oz97tj
July 23rd, 2011, 03:09 PM
Thanks Gary!

I barely know how to use my radio, so I really don't know what any of those parts you need are. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I may have some spare cable sitting at the house I could donate. Its not a 150 ft length though so I don't know if that matters. I believe I have the used cable from my old winch and I think (have to check) I may have the unused cable from my 9.5ti.

DDS4X4
July 23rd, 2011, 03:50 PM
Any specs on the antenna?
Tower, maybe, but how to get it to DI from Ohio??
I'll look in to it.
Thanks for the update.

rtikql8
July 23rd, 2011, 04:04 PM
@DDS We could figure something out for transporting tower sections if you can get some.

rtikql8
July 23rd, 2011, 04:05 PM
Also, I have the model of the antenna mast we want, I'll look it up and post back.

It's 4 bay dipole mast, about 12 feet long.

Greenway
July 23rd, 2011, 10:57 PM
I am heading up to Drummond from the Flint area on July 29th with a 12 foot trailer with room in it for tower sections.

Greenway
July 23rd, 2011, 11:09 PM
Thanks, that is real information we can use.

DDS4X4
July 24th, 2011, 10:38 AM
I am out on the antenna, but I will look into the tower sections.

rtikql8
July 24th, 2011, 08:49 PM
from David (N8IT) a while back...

The Drummond Island 2m repeater freq is 147.96. It was issued on Sat, May
7 and we have 180 days to have it operational.

Basic antenna info, a 2.5 inch mast about 22 foot tall, weight around 40
lb and the wind load under 4 sq ft. Here is an antenna that a local club
has:
http://www.hol4g.com/ac/product.aspx?number=DBB-DB264-C&p=165900&sc=0

A good used duplexer will run $300 to $500 plus shipping. They
weigh from 50 to 75 lbs, so shipping can be high. The transmission line
only needs to be 1/2 inch hard line and we will need 6 connectors. The
repeater needs to be able to run 50 watts continuous output.

Evil Queen
July 25th, 2011, 11:16 PM
I sent in my part...now all I have to do is get around to getting licensed....but I'm grateful for those who are!!!!

signman
August 5th, 2011, 10:24 PM
Where are we at on this, will it be up for DOA.

rtikql8
August 7th, 2011, 08:46 PM
There is a good chance it will be online for DOA but maybe in a temporary fashion.

Waiting on crystals for the radios right now. I think steel cable for the guy wires is the most immediate need, and/or cash.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rtikql8
August 7th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Oh yeah, Dave said he will need to tune the duplexers which may take some time too.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

signman
August 8th, 2011, 08:26 PM
What size cable and how long, and is there a local source that is the price range. could this be done during DOA.

lpm606
August 9th, 2011, 06:07 AM
What Lies Beyond Jeep Club will be sending a check to help on the Repeater project. Would we send it to GLFWDA with a notation for the DI Repeater?

rtikql8
August 9th, 2011, 10:48 PM
What size cable and how long, and is there a local source that is the price range. could this be done during DOA.

Just talked to Pat Kelly, he is working on that, and yes, as of right now I want to raise this tower on Thursday but I need to talk to Dave to see if that is possible.

rtikql8
August 9th, 2011, 10:51 PM
What Lies Beyond Jeep Club will be sending a check to help on the Repeater project. Would we send it to GLFWDA with a notation for the DI Repeater?

Thanks guys!!!!! :yourock:

Yes, probably best to send to GLFWDA.

rtikql8
August 9th, 2011, 11:52 PM
I sent in my part...now all I have to do is get around to getting licensed....but I'm grateful for those who are!!!!

Thanks! :thumb:

Time to start crackin' the books Pam! :poke:

Greenway
August 17th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Any chance this will be operational this weekend?

oz97tj
August 17th, 2011, 08:47 PM
That would be awesome if it was. If not, you can talk to me... lol

DDS4X4
August 20th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Donation made.
THANKS for those who are putting this together, it'll will be GREAT for all HAMs on the island along with us that visit.

rtikql8
August 23rd, 2011, 01:54 PM
Update has been posted on:

http://msg4x4club.blogspot.com

Tower is up!!!!!

Greenway
August 23rd, 2011, 05:04 PM
Glad to see it is underway.

What is the #6 wire to be used for? Internal bonding, external grounds, groundplane radials? What type of wire is needed? Insulated or bare? Used OK? Spliced OK? How much and what lengths?

rtikql8
August 23rd, 2011, 09:02 PM
Glad to see it is underway.

What is the #6 wire to be used for? Internal bonding, external grounds, groundplane radials? What type of wire is needed? Insulated or bare? Used OK? Spliced OK? How much and what lengths?

I think stranded bare wire is what we want, it is to be used for ground radials, from the sounds of it, getting a good ground with just rods is impossible. Used is OK, I'm not sure about spliced, I would need someone with more expertise to answer that one.

Capt_Nemo
August 30th, 2011, 09:03 AM
I think stranded bare wire is what we want, it is to be used for ground radials, from the sounds of it, getting a good ground with just rods is impossible. Used is OK, I'm not sure about spliced, I would need someone with more expertise to answer that one.

Yes #10 or larger bare stranded wire in 50 foot lengths or longer to make ground radials and we need about 1000 feet or more and we also need 100 feet of # 6 wire to bond to a nearby well.

Greenway
August 30th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Dang, thats a lot of copper

fsumotorhead
September 4th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Did this repeater ever get up and running?

I came across this while doing some research on DI for a trip i'm going on in a month.

If it's up and running, does the repeater have an autopatch?

JerryD
September 7th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Well, I looked a bit online and from what I see, yes it's active but no autopatch. 147.36 w/ pl 110.9

Anyone use it yet?

Jerry

Sent from an undisclosed location...

rtikql8
September 11th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Yes! We used it up at Drummond Off-Road Adventure 2012.

Coverage was pretty good, I made contact with repeater out and the stair steps at marble head. There are "shadows" throughout the island where you just can't get good reception, I think shale beach is one of them, but if you drive up the trail a bit to get out of the low area you can hit it again. for what it is worth, I was using a Yaseu 2900r with a Metz 5/8 wave bottom load whip (Michigan proof 2 meter antenna and only 37 inches long!) so with was pushing 75 watts when out on the edged or in low signal area.

I apologize for not being as active on here this summer, went through some rough times with with a close family member. I hope to be more involved now.

fsumotorhead
September 12th, 2012, 07:22 AM
Thanks for the info.

Wow I'm surprised you couldn't hit it at 75w.

phittie1100
September 12th, 2012, 08:02 AM
Unfortunately FM is primarily line-of-sight. Repeater antenna height, mobile antenna height and terrain all play a factor.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2