PDA

View Full Version : DNR Seeking Volunteer ORV Safety Education Instructors

Trail_Fanatic
March 30th, 2011, 09:46 PM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 30, 2011

DNR Seeking Volunteer ORV Safety Education Instructors

The Department of Natural Resources is seeking qualified applicants to become volunteer ORV Safety Education instructors.

As part of long-standing ORV Safety Education recommendations, the DNR has implemented an ORV Instructor Academy. The academy is free of charge and attendance is mandatory for all new successful instructor applicants.

There are three ORV Instructor Academies scheduled for the summer of 2011 and each class size is limited to 24 students. Each academy agenda begins on a Friday at 6 p.m. until 9 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. The academies will be held at the DNR Ralph A. MacMullan Conference Center located in northern Roscommon County.

The first academy will take place in June and it is completely full. The second academy is scheduled for July 22-24, and the third academy is scheduled for Aug. 12-14.

Individuals desiring certification as a DNR volunteer ORV Safety Education instructor must meet the following requirements:

- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Be a high school graduate or possess a graduate equivalency diploma (GED).
- Have no felony convictions.
- Have no misdemeanor convictions within the past three (3) years.
- Have no convictions that resulted in the revocation of ORV operation privileges within the last five years. (Other convictions of natural resource law violations are subject to review and may result in the rejection of any application.)
- Maintain a high moral, ethical and mental character.
- Be a graduate of Michiganís, or another stateís ORV safety education program or other industry accredited safety programs (such as ASI, MSF and United 4WD).

Individuals who have a desire in teaching students to be safe and responsible ORV users may begin the application process by contacting the DNR Office of Marketing, Education and Technology at 517-335-3418. The office will send the interested individual an application. After submission of a completed application, a background check will be conducted. Successful applicants will then be contacted to schedule attendance at an ORV Instructor Academy.

Questions pertaining to the ORV Safety Education program can be directed to Cpl. John Morey at 989-619-3784.

The Michigan Department of Natural Resources is committed to the conservation, protection, management, use and enjoyment of the stateís natural and cultural resources for current and future generations. For more information, go to www.michigan.gov/dnr.

###

Rocky
April 5th, 2011, 08:10 AM
I see that all new instructors must go thru the academy, what are they going to do with the current list of certified instructors [ about 600 or so ] that were improperly licensed under their [ DNRs ] watch since Oct 1st of 2003?

I know some of those guys were calling up my office after they were given their license and asking me what they were suppose to teach in their classes. This should not happen if the DNR is serious about the safety program.

Rocky
April 19th, 2011, 07:39 AM
I see that all new instructors must go thru the academy, what are they going to do with the current list of certified instructors [ about 600 or so ] that were improperly licensed under their [ DNRs ] watch since Oct 1st of 2003?

I know some of those guys were calling up my office after they were given their license and asking me what they were suppose to teach in their classes. This should not happen if the DNR is serious about the safety program.

Why is it that nobody wants to take on this question from two weeks ago?

Are not some of you on the ORV safety education work group?

Evil Queen
April 19th, 2011, 10:47 AM
I'm sorry Rocky that I cannot answer that question, but I do have one of my own.....this came up at the quarterly meeting the other day and I was very interested in getting this certification.

However, the list of requirements leaves me lacking....:( what do I have to overcome to be eligible on one of these two?

Maintain a high moral, ethical and mental character.
- Be a graduate of Michiganís, or another stateís ORV safety education program or other industry accredited safety programs (such as ASI, MSF and United 4WD).

okay...kidding...just the second one?

Icemanii
April 19th, 2011, 12:11 PM
If you lived closer, I know someone who could get you into an MSF course even if they said it was full.

Evil Queen
April 19th, 2011, 12:26 PM
I can travel......what is MSF?

Icemanii
April 19th, 2011, 12:56 PM
MSF = Motorcycle Safety Foundation. It is a class that teaches people how to ride motorcycles. Unless they want you to become an instructor, which takes longer.

Rocky
April 19th, 2011, 08:02 PM
I'm sorry Rocky that I cannot answer that question, but I do have one of my own.....this came up at the quarterly meeting the other day and I was very interested in getting this certification.

However, the list of requirements leaves me lacking....:( what do I have to overcome to be eligible on one of these two?

Maintain a high moral, ethical and mental character.

okay...kidding...just the second one?

When the ORV safety education program was the responsibility of the DOE [ Dept of Education ] there was a structured set of Administrative Rules that dictated Class content and Instructor certification. When I became an instructor years ago under the DOE, the Administrative Rules forced me to go to the Honda Tech Center in Troy,Ohio for 4 days of comprehensive training [8-10 hrs per day ] through the Speciality Vehicle Institute of America [ SVIA ], under the direct supervision of a SVIA ''Chief Instructor''.Anybody who wanted to become an ORV Safety Instructor under the DOE Administration had to take the same type of training and PASS tests, before they would ever be conciderd to Instruct.

October 1st of 2003, through Executive Order of Jenny Granholm, the ORV Safety Education program was transfered to the DNR.

Since Oct 1st, the DNR has certified ORV Instructors [ about 5-600 ] without making them take the same training that was mandatory under the DOE watch [ Administrative Rules ].

The DNR sends the potential Instructor a packet. This person submits to a back ground check,they filled out an Recreation Education Training Instructor Application, sign a Volunteer Release & Waiver of Liability form, take the 50 question ORV test [ answers were supplied ] sit thru ONE ORV safety class with somebody already certified to instruct, have that instructor sign your application as a mentor, and baby---you are now a DNR Certified & Licensed ORV Safety Instructor. It was absolutely that EASY.

MANY MANY times, the end result were instructors who couldn't tell you the difference between a ATV and an ORV. Another words, many were severely handicapped [ improperly trained ] to teach this program but yet the DNR KNOWINGLY allowed this stuff to continue.In a 2008 FY report, Wayne County Sheriffs Department would average 67 kids in a class, while receiving grant funds @ 20.00 bucks per kid from the ORV safety education fund. What a cash cow for these guys. There is NO WAY any instructor dumps 67 kids in a class and has the kids ''best interest'' at mind.

I had a 60+ year old grandmother call my office last July. She told me she and her grandson went to a 1 hour ORV safety education class in Bay City.This one hr class also included the 50 question test that the kids have to take. Grandma called the DNR to complain about the instructor and the class. The DNR sends GRANDMA the Instructor packet I mentioned above. So Grandma calls my office and asks me to mentor/sign her application form in my next class. I explained to Grandma that there was a heck of a lot more involved in instructing an ORV safety class, than simple sitting through one safety class and than ''thinking'' your qualified to teach.

She sat through my next safety class and after class was dismissed, she shook my hand and hugged me. She said she never knew that there was this much information to learn and readily accepted the fact that there was no way that she was ready to instruct. HOWEVER, if I were to sign her application form as her mentor----according to the DNR, she would be a certified instructor. This is wrong IMO.

What upsets me so much is the fact that the DNR is forcing every new instructor to take their new Instructors Academy, but it has no resolve or concern for the 100s of improperly trained instructors THEY licensed from 2003 until now.

IMO, EVERY ORV instructor who did not receive their instructors training under the Administrative Rules that Dictated the program, should also be forced to go through the new academy.

Rocky
April 21st, 2011, 01:01 PM
VERY INTERESTING,
I was present in yesterdays Mich Snowmobile and Trails Advisory Council [ MSTAC ] meeting in Roscommon Michigan and the DNR reported that we USE to have 600 ORV safety Instructors, now we have 190.

A lot of instructors are leaving the program because the DNRs new 64 Policy and Procedures Manual has some redicules rules that we are forced to go by or they will revoke our license.

phittie1100
April 22nd, 2011, 07:22 AM
Such as?

Evil Queen
April 22nd, 2011, 10:22 AM
So, back to my question....is there a way I can get one of these in order to go to the class?

Be a graduate of Michiganís, or another stateís ORV safety education program or other industry accredited safety programs (such as ASI, MSF and United 4WD).

Rocky
April 22nd, 2011, 07:46 PM
Sorry, dup post.

Rocky
April 22nd, 2011, 08:07 PM
Such as?

After running the ORV Safety Education program into the dirt for the last seven years,it appears that the DNR has invented [ they did not go through the legislature ] this 64 page Policy & Procedures Manual that ALL Michigan ORV instructors are required to follow. They are forcing instructors to sign an Instructors Acknowledgement form which basically means that you MUST read and agree to follow all 64 pages of this P&P Manual or your license will be revoked.

I already know some instructors who have left the program because they dont agree with some of the outlines in this 64 page P&P Manual.

*ALL ORV SAFETY CLASSES WILL BE A MINIMUM OF 6 HOURS AND NOT MORE THAN 8 IN ONE DAY.

I am NOT a ''volunteer safety Instructor'' I run my own Private Business Enterprise [Michigan Law allows me to do this ] I offer demanding services to my clients that no other volunteer safety instructor does. I can perform same day safety classes, I offer residential, in home safety classes, private safety classes,special need classes, ect. These types of safety classes usually only have 2-4 students in them and they do NOT require 6 hours of instruction.They also DO NOT require the attention of 2 certified instructors.However, under the new Policy & Procedures manual, I MUST make available 2 instructors or the DNR can revoke my license. Funny thing is, the DNR readily accepts ALL safety certificates from ANY other State or Providence of Canada, ASI and the MSF. NONE of those safety classes have two instructors present,yet the DNR accepts them without mandating a minimum of two instructors.

*THERE SHALL BE A MINIMUM OF TWO INSTRUCTORS FOR CLASSES UP TO 24 STUDENTS.For every additional 10 students,the instructor numbers must increase by one. For example 25 students must have 3 instructors, 35 students must have 4 instructors, 45 students must have 5 instructors, and so on. No instructor may teach a class without the presence of another certified instructor present during class, unless the class is conducted in the context of regular scheduled classes in middle, high school or continuing education.

Many regular scheduled safety courses only have 8-10 kids in them and a class that small should not mandate 2 certified instructors.

Its been reported that we have gone from 600 ORV instructors, down to 190, as of this March.Im sure a lot of this decrease is due to some of the mandated outlines in the P&P Manual.