View Full Version : Well, has anyone heard of Kawasaki Disease????

Roadhouse
February 1st, 2006, 11:25 PM
I'm serious on this one, and it has nothing to do with motorcycles. My 4 year old daughter is in the hospital with this right now. She went in yesterday afternoon. She had a couple of the symptons show up over the weekend, so I took her to see a doctor Sunday. He didn't really know what it was, but thought one of her glands in her neck was infected(it was swollen) so she went on antibiatics. She started feeling really great Monday....Tuesday was iffy. She had a field trip that day, and got really bad at the field trip. I was at Pats and my wife called as I was leaving to tell me she thought Brooklyn had a reaction to the antibiatics, and was taking her back to the doctor.

We'll after numerous test last night and this morning they did confirm its Kawasaki Disease....pretty rare child disease. If not treated soon enough it can lead to serious heart problems and possible death. She had to have a IV for 12 hours that would help attack the infection and repair some blood vessel. When I left tonight she was just ending up the IV and still hadn't lost the rash, red eyes, lips, tongue, and they are suppose to after the first 12hr IV. Her fever is gone down, and she is feeling good, but not clear of the disease yet. So instead of her coming home tomorrow, they are going to do another 12hr IV drop, and keep her to Sat to monitor her heart. She may have to take aspirin everyday for at least a year to help with her heart.

Long story short, I've been pretty nervous since I left Pat's house the other day........I know she is going to be okay, but I know what could of happened so it's still bothers me.

When Paula called me last night and told me it wasn't a reaction to the meds it was Kawasaki disease, I laughed. I said like the motorcycles, she said ya.....I said but Brooklyn hasn't been around one :rolf: So I had to google it and see what it was all about, I had just never heard of it.
Its not contagous, they don't really know how kids get it. Only about 4000 cases a year in America are reported, and only 1% of those die from it.
Funny thing is 80% of people who get it are asian, and 60% of them are males....my caucasian daughter got it, how is that for Vegas odds.

Our Pastor stopped by tonight after church, and said some prayers for/with Brooklyn, altho' she laughed, and wouldn't put her crayon down long enough to actually pray.

Thanks for listening
Mike

Cliff notes.....One of my daughters is sick in the hospital, but will be alright. I posted this just 'cause I have some good friends here and wanted to let people know. And to see if anyone has heard of this disease.

Roadhouse
February 2nd, 2006, 02:06 AM
Thanks Tim.

Jarhead
February 2nd, 2006, 05:39 AM
Our prayers are with you Mike.

Nvrenuf
February 2nd, 2006, 06:27 AM
Wow Mike
Keep us informed on how she is doing. We''ll keep her in our prayers.
Steve and family.

ganz
February 2nd, 2006, 06:41 AM
Thoughts and Prayers!

Ganz and family.......

Deathdealer
February 2nd, 2006, 08:17 AM
Heres to a speedy recovery! Keep your head up Mike.

Creative Fab
February 2nd, 2006, 09:15 AM
When I saw your post, at least the title I thought it was a funny so I said to myself I will read it tommorrow.

So tommorrow came and I find myself reading it. I heard you talking to Paula when you were leaving but didnt think twice about it as kids get sick all the time.

So anyway, like everyone said were thinking about Brooklyn and your family. Keep us posted and if there is anything I can do let me know. :bigemo_harabe_net-145:

Bult4mud
February 2nd, 2006, 11:56 AM
WHoley crap mike, read the topic and i thought joke

any way sorry to hear about your girl SOFO will keep you in our preyrs

if ya need anything that we can help with let me know

Brian
February 2nd, 2006, 07:56 PM
We will keep Brooklyn, you and your family in our prayers. We hope for a speedy recovery.

DICE
February 2nd, 2006, 09:15 PM
Mike Vickie and me are thinking of you and your family if you need anything
call me :bigemo_harabe_net-145:

Roadhouse
February 2nd, 2006, 09:39 PM
Well, good news. She is doing great today. Doctor checked her out this morning and her rash, and red, eyes, lips etc are gone. No high fever at all today, so they didnt' give her the second IV. If she has no high fevers over night or in the morning they are letting her come home. She does need to go see a cardiologist on Monday. Might have to see him regularly to keep tabs on her heart. She does have to take 1 asprin a day for at least 6 months.......so the outcome looks a lot better than it could of been.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers.

I might need to borrow Pats 1 ton to carry all her stuffed animals home from the hospital tho', I don't think the payload capacity on my Suburban is enough :P

DICE
February 3rd, 2006, 05:47 AM
:thumb-up: :thumb-up: :thumb-up: that is great Mike

BOBBY

Brian
February 3rd, 2006, 05:59 AM
Great news :)

Jarhead
February 3rd, 2006, 09:14 AM
Super glad to hear things are working themselves out!

joe_jeep
February 3rd, 2006, 09:25 AM
wow im glad it seems to be going better, nothing can scare u like a sick child!!!! at least she gets to come home now , im sure she didnt like being in the hospital. best wishes for a speedy recovery

DDS4X4
February 4th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Sorry to hear, been out of town for a few days.

We'll keep her in our prayers for the long term.

JerryD
February 7th, 2006, 02:44 PM
My heartfelt prayers go out to your daughter for a full recovery. Yes, I'm aware of the condition; a cousin of mine was one of the 1% about twenty years ago. IIRC, he was 3 or 4 yrs old. At the time, the family was talking about how it was brought about by the rug cleaning solution, but I really don't know that much about it. It's good to hear that your situation has turned out much better.

Give that lil' girl an EXTRA big hug as often as you can. Heck, give one to all of 'em if you have more & Mom, too! ;)