PDA

View Full Version : Off-Road Vehicle Advisory Workgroup (ORVAW) Meeting Dates for 2011

Trail_Fanatic
January 19th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Off-Road Vehicle Advisory Workgroup (ORVAW) Meeting Dates for 2011

February 9 Michigan United Conservation Clubs
Wednesday 2101 Wood Street
Lansing, Michigan 48912
www.mucc.org

May 11 Michigan United Conservation Clubs
Wednesday 2101 Wood Street
Lansing Michigan 48912
www.mucc.org

August 10 Ramada Inn
Wednesday 7501 West Saginaw Highway
Lansing Michigan 48917
517-627-3211

November 9 Ramada Inn
Wednesday 7501 West Saginaw Highway
Lansing Michigan 48917
517-627-3211

Meetings are scheduled from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. and are open to the public.

Rocky
January 26th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Pat,
Last I knew, the MSTAC represented the ORVers, along with a host of various other outdoor enthusiasts. I know that the ORV Advisory workgroup was suppose to be appointed and was to advise the MSTAC on ORV subject matter ect. I know that this workgroup has allready been appointed, however, I was not aware that they would meet seperately from the MSTAC meetings.

*How will this workgroup funtion?
*Will there be a Chairman?
*Will the minutes be monitored?
*How much speaking time [ if any? ] does the public get?

Would'nt the ORVers of Michigan be better served to have the newly elected Governor sign an Excutive Order to have the ORV Advisory Board re-established rather than to have to be represented by the MSTAC and an additional advisory workgroup that was never needed in the past?

Trail_Fanatic
January 26th, 2011, 11:26 PM
*How will this workgroup function? Article V: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/MSTAC-RulesOfProcedure_333124_7.pdf

*Will there be a Chairman? Yes, currently Tom Dunn http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/ORVAW-Member-Staff_338979_7.pdf

*Will the minutes be monitored? Yes http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-39002_56382_57522-247424--,00.html

*How much speaking time [ if any? ] does the public get? From http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/MSTAC-RulesOfProcedure_333124_7.pdf

Section 4: Public Appearance
All persons wishing to address the Council must declare their intent by completing a Public
Appearance Card prior to, or during the Public Appearance portion of the meeting. Persons
addressing the Council will be requested to identify their name, address and the organization
they belong to, if any. In those instances in which a person is representing an organization, the
presenter should indicate whether their comments represent the official views of the
organization. Persons contacting the staff assistant on or before the Friday preceding the
meeting will be allowed five (5) minutes for their presentation. Persons signing up after the
Friday preceding the meeting will be allowed up to three (3) minutes at the discretion of the
Chairperson. The Public Appearance segment of the meeting will last until closed by the
Chairperson or by vote of the Council.

Wouldn't the ORVers of Michigan be better served to have the newly elected Governor sign an Executive Order to have the ORV Advisory Board re-established rather than to have to be represented by the MSTAC and an additional advisory workgroup that was never needed in the past?
That remains to be seen. Direct contact with the DNR isn't bad, but from what I've witnessed at the MSTAC meetings so far, the more the various user groups talk about their issues together, the more they all realize that we are all facing the same concerns. It's my opinion that this is starting to waken a realization that multiple use trails may be in the best interest of all of us (just like things were back before the DNR started meddling with the trails in the first place). We'll have to see if this fully develops or not. So far things have been much more cooperative than adversarial. This just might end up being a good thing.

Rocky
January 27th, 2011, 06:02 AM
Pat,
im not trying to be difficult here but some things just dont make good sense [ to me at least ].

Tom Dunn is already a MSTAC Board member.

The ORVAW is suppose to give ''advise to the MSTAC Board'' members with their concerns related to various ORV issues.

Since Dunn is already a MSTAC Board member, what will he do for the ORVAW, advise himself?

I compare this to the President of the United States appointing a Advisory Committee to advise him regarding off shore drilling than appointing himself as Chairman to this new Advisory Committee, just dont make much sense to me.

Trail_Fanatic
January 27th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Actually, both of the ORV Representatives on the MSTAC are on the ORVAW. I'd be more concerned about this too, but the MSTAC is a multi-disciplinary group, rather than an individual (like the President in your analogy). This provides for a bit of continuity between the groups. Think of it more as a Committee in the Senate or House. The Committee members are all members of the Senate or House, including the Chairman.

I don't know Mr. Yeager very well, but have dealt with Tom Dunn for a number of years.
Thankfully, he's a good man with a level head and an open mind.

Rocky
January 27th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Sorry Pat, but this is wrong [ IMO ].

The Advisory workgroups were ''originated'' to make recommendations to the board members of the MSTAC. Each discipline was suppose to have its OWN Advisory workgroup. Each specific Advisory workgroup is suppose to report their issues and concerns to their own specific Board members within the MSTAC.

Since Dunn and Yager sit on the MSTAC as ORV Board members, it is counter-productive to have them Also sitting on a Advisory workgroup that is suppose to report their concerns and issues to themselves. [MSTAC]

After dealing with the DNR since 1999, nothing they do ever suprises me anymore!:banghead:

Trail_Fanatic
January 27th, 2011, 11:36 PM
We'll have to agree to disagree on that one, at least for now, and see where it goes for a while.

Rocky
February 10th, 2011, 06:22 AM
I found it very amusing how the DNR threatened cut-backs to the ORV program if they don't receive a fee increase in ORV revenue's very soon. All this, at a time when Michigan is facing its worst economic times since the Great Depression.

ORVers have been complaining since 1999 about how bad our trails are groomed, how badly they are marked,untrained instructors, ect, yet many grant sponsors still get paid to do sub-par work with very little oversight from the DNR Administration.Its my opinion that this waste should be addressed and fixed before anybody supports a fee increase.

It makes absolutley no sense to send a grant sponsor who resides in lower Michigan, 200 miles to northern Michigan to perform trail maintenance when there are tons of snowmobile clubs who reside near northern ORV trails who would love to take on a local ORV trail to maintain in the off months of snowmobiling. Im all for being able to outsource some of this trail maintenance. Want to save some real money, than outsourcing some of this trail maintenance should be mandated in legislation.

I completely understand why the non-profits would support such an fee increase, many stand to gain financially thru grant funding. However, we need to set-up legislation that changes the way the DNR handles our ORV dollars/program along WITH a fee increase.Agreeing to a ORV Sticker fee increase without securing legislation that changes the way the DNR works our ORV Program, is nothing more than signing a blank check with the DNR.

Lets seek legislation to,

*Abolish the MSTAC and reorganize the ORV Advisory Board
*Allow user groups to appoint their representation on the ORV Advisory Board, not the DNR/Governor.
*Put legislative power back into the hands of the ORV Advisory Board. No longer will the DNR be able to pick/chose what they want out of these meetings and kick the rest to the curb.
*Instill langauge in legislation that does not allow the DNR Director to issue Land Use Order of Director [ LUOD ] without prior approval from the ORV Advisory Board.
*Seek legislation that also provides outsourcing for trail maintenance
*Apply Administrative Rules to the ORV Safety Education Program

I for one, will not support any ORV sticker fee increase until we also make legislative changes to the way the DNR runs our program.