PDA

View Full Version : Which locker opinions please

Shakr
January 31st, 2006, 01:54 PM
OK I'm ready to put a lunch box locker as you all say on my jeep. I'm liking the price of the aussie locker or the Detroit ez locker . Some may say I'm a cheap skate but I say I'm thrifty.

Subject Jeep : 1995 yj 2.5L 5spd. dana 35 w/ 4.10 gears

I can get a aussie locker for about 229.99 + 20 bucks shipped (offroadlockers.com)

Or

a ez locker for about 233.28 + shipping if any (DTS)

Please keep in mind if any GL members can meet or beat this price I would really rather keep the money in the "family" . Please PM me if there are any takers on this , I do not want to cause any anomosity amongst the members.

Roadhouse
January 31st, 2006, 02:03 PM
Aussie, Detroit EZ, Lock Rite and Quick Lock are all the same thing basically. Cant go wrong with any of them for your application.

You can get a detroit ez for $239 shipped at www.completeoffroad.com

Zookeeper
January 31st, 2006, 05:15 PM
The only experience I have is with the Aussie but I have been very pleased with its performance on and off road. I locked the front end on my '03 TJ. In icy conditions you can have a situation where the front end wants to go straight instead of turning, but letting off the throttle and slowing down a little takes care of that problem.

The biggest thing I like about having the locker is I can take obstacles a lot slower than I used to because the pulling power helps me get over stuff that I needed to use more momentum for before.

Creative Fab
January 31st, 2006, 11:03 PM
YO over here

I can get you a price to you know, I will get back with you tommorrow with it!

Pat

Roadhouse
January 31st, 2006, 11:28 PM
Ken.........I forget Pat deals in lockers........I always just think ring & pinions with him.

we need the little smiley where the one guy, slaps the other guy :slap:

Evil_E
February 1st, 2006, 12:21 AM
I run an aussie in the front of my YJ (Dana 30), I love the thing. Great on and off road, easy install :bigemo_harabe_net-64:

ganz
February 1st, 2006, 07:43 AM
88 YJ Vortec 4.3, dana 30 and 35, 4.10 gears. 4l60E trans
I am running True Tracs front and rear and they work great for me. I drive mine every day during the winter.
Ganz......

joe_jeep
February 1st, 2006, 10:28 AM
i got a 97 tj 4.0l 5 spd 4in sup 2in body. i run a surep 35 kit in the rear witha detroit and a detroit ez locker in front with 4.56 gears. i like the ezlocker, works great in all conditions except ice, and no locker in the front is any good on ice. got about 30,000 to 35,000 miles on mine no problems yet running 35 in mtr's or 35 in tsl's. dont even know its there when in 2 wheel drive, except for slight clicking noise when tight turning on pavement. im told that is common to all lunch box lockers. been on all the d.o.a.'s except one, hasent broke yet. only ever been stuck once,but i was at the mounds in mud over the headlights and sitting on the framerails, all 4 in the air. im sure any lunch box locker will work similarly well, but i trust the detroit name so i went that way. good luck, u wont regret it

Jarhead
February 1st, 2006, 01:52 PM
Yo Pat,

What do you know about putting a locker in the front of my H2? :bigemo_harabe_net-110:

Roadhouse
February 1st, 2006, 03:12 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jarhead &#064; Feb 1 2006, 12&#58;52 PM) 9433</div>

Yo Pat,

What do you know about putting a locker in the front of my H2? :bigemo_harabe_net-110:
[/b]

Eaton e-locker if its availible for you&#39;re application. I know there is no lockers availible for the IFS in 1/2tons, S-series, and Colorado/Canyons.........but there have been options for the 3/4ton. I&#39;m just not sure about the newer ones, I thought Chevy has switched from the Corparate axle to AAM.

Jarhead
February 1st, 2006, 03:20 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Roadhouse &#064; Feb 1 2006, 02&#58;12 PM) 9435</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jarhead &#064; Feb 1 2006, 12&#58;52 PM) 9433

Yo Pat,

[/b]

Eaton e-locker if its availible for you&#39;re application. I know there is no lockers availible for the IFS in 1/2tons, S-series, and Colorado/Canyons.........but there have been options for the 3/4ton. I&#39;m just not sure about the newer ones, I thought Chevy has switched from the Corparate axle to AAM.
[/b][/quote]

I know ARB makes a locker for the front; but I am a shade tree mechanic (heavy on the shade). :blink:

WhiteRhino
February 1st, 2006, 03:49 PM
Welding rod&#33; :thumb-up:

Roadhouse
February 1st, 2006, 04:01 PM
Bob, I found this.............http://www.hummerxclub.com/tech/eaton.html

I actually like the Eaton Elocker better than an ARB, but thats just my opinion.

I also read a little on a Hummer forum and some guys where advising not to put a locker in the front or to use it sparingly as its easy to break CV shafts with one. Just something to think about.

Putting one in the front isn&#39;t nearly as easy as doing your rear axle, thats for sure(I do know you have one in the rear, just using an example)

Creative Fab
February 1st, 2006, 04:41 PM
I can get either locker for your H2, I would recomend the E-locker as well&#33;

I would check into what Mike read about breaking CV shafts before doing it though.

Labor for installing either locker would run around &#036;400

Jarhead
February 1st, 2006, 06:29 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Roadhouse &#064; Feb 1 2006, 03&#58;01 PM) 9439</div>

Bob, I found this.............http://www.hummerxclub.com/tech/eaton.html

I actually like the Eaton Elocker better than an ARB, but thats just my opinion.

I also read a little on a Hummer forum and some guys where advising not to put a locker in the front or to use it sparingly as its easy to break CV shafts with one. Just something to think about.

Putting one in the front isn&#39;t nearly as easy as doing your rear axle, thats for sure(I do know you have one in the rear, just using an example)
[/b]

Time for me to do a little more research. Ganz (his Screenname here) works on the H2 at the Milford Proving Grounds and we have talked a number of times about the concept.

Limited usage is exactly my intention. It would be one of those things in my arsenal; when I need it, I got it.

As for the half shafts - I carry one spare plus a few other parts that have proven to be troublesome over time. No matter the vehicle, if you&#39;re gonna wheel, you&#39;re gonna break something sooner or later.

Jeeperz-Creeperz
February 1st, 2006, 07:08 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(square eyed rio &#064; Jan 31 2006, 12&#58;54 PM) 9346</div>
[/b]
I would recommend a Lock-Right over an EZ Locker any day. The Lock-Right is a better unit and is only marginally more expensive

Jarhead
February 2nd, 2006, 06:22 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeeperz&#045;Creeperz &#064; Feb 1 2006, 06&#58;08 PM) 9449</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(square eyed rio &#064; Jan 31 2006, 12&#58;54 PM) 9346
[/b]
I would recommend a Lock-Right over an EZ Locker any day. The Lock-Right is a better unit and is only marginally more expensive
[/b][/quote]

Since I have pirated Square Eyed Reo&#39;s thread; are you recommending the Lock-Right for both of us?

Jeeperz-Creeperz
February 2nd, 2006, 01:36 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jarhead &#064; Feb 2 2006, 05&#58;22 AM) 9480</div>
Since I have pirated Square Eyed Reo&#39;s thread; are you recommending the Lock-Right for both of us?
[/b]
If you&#39;re thrifty :D

Shakr
February 2nd, 2006, 08:33 PM
The more I delv into this the more I hear the lock rights are the loudest when "popping" and the aussie&#39;s are the quietest with a bunch of yea&#39;s for the ez locker .

I really like what I&#39;ve heard about the aussie.

Jarhead ..I&#39;ll share just remember when I need a tow I&#39;ll expect to see a hummer pulling me out.

Jarhead
February 2nd, 2006, 09:10 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(square eyed rio &#064; Feb 2 2006, 07&#58;33 PM) 9544</div>

Jarhead ..I&#39;ll share just remember when I need a tow I&#39;ll expect to see a hummer pulling me out.
[/b]

DEAL&#33; :thumb-up:

Jeeperz-Creeperz
February 3rd, 2006, 11:18 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(square eyed rio &#064; Feb 2 2006, 07&#58;33 PM) 9544</div>

The more I delv into this the more I hear the lock rights are the loudest when "popping" and the aussie&#39;s are the quietest with a bunch of yea&#39;s for the ez locker .

I really like what I&#39;ve heard about the aussie.
[/b]
Yes, the lock-right can be loud (I hardly notice mine in the front), but so can a Detroit.

The ez locker is quieter but is inferior (in my opinion).

The No-Slip is very nice and quieter, but or &#036;60 more you could have a Detroit.

I have heard good things about the Aussie as well, but have no firsthand experience (since none of my distributors carries it).

joe_jeep
February 7th, 2006, 09:31 AM
my detroit ez locker is by no means quiet&#33; but i just expect a little noise when locked. i didnt realize the lockrite was louder?? but it sure makes a difference to be locked at both ends. im sure any lunchbox will work pretty similarly. but dont expect it to be quiet when is ratcheting off road in a tight turn. steering will b much stiffer on drier trails, but not bad in mud

MuddyPaws
February 7th, 2006, 10:37 AM
My no slip is very quiet. I have that in the rear It clicks once when unlocking and that&#39;s it. Little higher priced but I wanted that for the rear of my rig. The front is a lockrite and I never hear it on the road....barely off road either.