PDA

View Full Version : ATV Trail Question...

Renegade II
December 20th, 2010, 12:36 AM
You have a clearly marked ATV trail that goes into and comes out of the two square mile St Helen scramble area. It is ONLY marked for ATV's.

My understanding is that anything that falls within that designated scramble area is fair game, as cross country travel is allowed in a scramble area. Even if it's super narrow, damn near impossible to get a Jeep through and only marked with the ATV trail marker. I think that the only reason it has the ATV markers is so people can continue on the route to reach other ATV marked trail portions outside the scramble area.

I know of an ATV rider that feels different.

Opinions?

WhiteRhino
December 20th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Pat K, Jim M and I had this discussion a couple years back. The ATV trail while "IN" the MS area is legal for any size vehicle. We read it this way, the MS area is open to cross country travel with no restrictions. Therefore, anywhere within the park is legal.

The trail gets quite tight to the south but is passable by a full size rig. I would argue with your "other" person that since we are not cutting down any trees, that by the definition of a scramble area, it is fair game.

Jarhead
December 20th, 2010, 11:15 AM
While everyone is entitled to their opinion, my understanding is the same as Jim has stated and I cannot find anything in the complied law that disagrees. I have attached a couple of documents which should address the concern:

Rocky
December 20th, 2010, 02:47 PM
This type of marking only solidifies to confuse the ORVers of Michigan even further and it needs to be corrected IMO.

When one see's the confidence marker as you describe, it is ''suppose'' to indicate to the user that this trail is open to motorized vehicles that are 50 inches or less in width [ ATVs $ motorcycles ]. So,essentially, any ORV wider than 50 inches should not be legal to operate when you see the type of trail marker you described in your opening post.

However, you are correct, when its in a scramble area, its open to all types of ORVs regardless of width.

These type's of mismarkings dont surprise me in the least.

WhiteRhino
December 20th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Since the parking lot is a trail head, I believe that the markers help a rider travel through the MS area and onto the trail after it leaves the MS area.