PDA

View Full Version : GLADWIN Unit to OBLITERATE many Forest Roads

Trail_Fanatic
December 10th, 2010, 02:54 PM
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s286/Trail_Fanatic_2007/GladwinUnitMap.jpg

If you recreate in the Gladwin Unit Managment Area, PLEASE follow the link below and read the Compartment Review Packets at he bottom of that page. If you know of any Forest Roads in the Compartments notify GLFWDA about which ones are important to our form of recreation and we will do our best to ensure they are not abandoned or obliterated.

Thank you,

Land Use Committee

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-30301_30505_54967-66200--,00.html

Creative Fab
December 13th, 2010, 12:32 PM
I read almost every packet but must have missed the place they include the road closings. Could you point me in the right direction Pat?

Rattler
December 13th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Dammit! I forgot about that meeting.

Trail_Fanatic
December 13th, 2010, 07:08 PM
They DON'T mention the road closings. Had I not asked about them specifically, I wouldn't have known they were going to close any roads.

Discussions with Forester Steve Nyhoff indicated that the process for deciding road closures is on a site specific basis that will only begin when each timber sale is administered. The dates of the timber sales are weather Dependant and, as such, no time line can be given. The administration of the sale will only leave about a two week period between the inspection of the road system and the implementation of the project’s decision governing which roads are to be closed. This leaves GLFWDA little opportunity for involvement.

Mr. Nyhoff’s advice was to select which roads were most desirable by the 4x4 community and send in an early request that they be kept open. He advised that the District Manager was ultimately responsible for the decision and comments are merely “taken under advisement”.

This indicates that they don’t really carry any real weight and are not appeal-able through the current process. This is EXTREMELY disconcerting. This process MUST be improved if GLFWDA or the public are to have ANY real impact upon the road system on State lands.

WhiteRhino
December 13th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Are there any organized deer hunters? Or any other type of casual users that would help?

Trail_Fanatic
December 13th, 2010, 11:15 PM
Sort of . . .
I'm working on gaining support from MUCC. They have 2 people involved with the trails now.
1 on the MSTAC and 1 on the ORVAW. I've already begun conversations about the dwindling hunter access because of Forest Road closures. They seem receptive at this point. However, they only have the same limited opportunity for comment that we have, and what's worse is that they know little about what's out there on the ground. Knowing that we stand a pretty good chance of having their support is a good opportunity, but we'll have to take the lead and feed them the information.

Creative Fab
December 14th, 2010, 05:19 PM
I sent the following letter to Mike Avery of Outdoor Magazine TV.

Mike,

Pat Kinne here, fellow outdoorsman and avid ORV user, more specifically full size 4x4's. As a hunter and backwoods traveler I am sure you can appreciate the opportunities we share in the use of our public land to access our favorite hunting and fishing spots across our great state. Unfortunately those opportunities are dwindling with the closure of forest roads both on state owned lands and federal forests.

I am a life member of the Great Lakes Fourwheel Drive Association and have held several Executive Board positions over the years. Now I function as a volunteer working on land use issues and helping to promote responsible backwoods travel. Recently our Assoc. was able to see a project started by myself come to fruition in the form of the St. Helen Motorsport Area Rock Courses completed this past November.

With the completion of this project came some tragic news as some of our fellow GLFWDA members were in the area scouting for an upcoming event noticed several forest roads in the area have been closed. Not only have they been closed but they have been done so in a much more environmentally damaging and unsightly manner than any 4 wheeled vehicle could ever do. We are finding this is not limited to just the area around St Helen and West Branch but all over the state. The Gladwin management unit just had a compartment review in which several roads are to be closed in the near future.

Which brings me to the point of my writing to you. You see most of our membership is made up of folks like your viewers and listeners who use our public lands to recreate on and without access to these lands we are effectively left on the outside looking in. It is the hope of the Association to gather like minded outdoor enthusiasts in helping to preserve access to our public lands via forest roads and trails. Is this something you think you could help to spread the word about or even get on board in helping to prevent these closures?

Our Land Use Chairman Pat Brower is currently working with the MUCC on getting them on board as well.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have regarding this subject as I have plenty of information that has already been gathered.

Thanks for your time,

Pat Kinne
2960 E. Ashby Rd.
Midland MI 48640
989 430 9381

WhiteRhino
December 14th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Nice effort Pat and Pat.

Jarhead
December 14th, 2010, 08:06 PM
I hope this bares some fruit, Thank You for extending the branch to bridge the gap.

Renegade II
December 14th, 2010, 08:53 PM
I was just looking through pics of a club trip we did to Gladwin / Arenac. That used to be a good wheeling area before the law change. There's not much up there left for us to loose, at this point most of it's already closed.